Problem with multiple FTP servers on the same computer/network

Ebaberin

I was looking for a solution on how to access my files from somewhere else and I found that creating a FTP server was the most practical. With that said, I have little to none experience on doing such a thing.

I need to have access both from my Windows user files and from a external hard drive I have plugged in via USB on the computer. So I created two FTP servers using the IIS: one for my user folder directory and the other for the hard drive directory. I have successfully connected and tested both of the servers through LAN. And I can connect to my user folder from another network, but I have no luck on connecting to the hard drive server.

When I try to connect using the passive mode it reaches the timeout after executing some commands. The last two are '227 entering passive mode (local ip)' and 'Replacing site local adress (local ip) with (public ip). And when I try using the active mode it says '501 server cannot accept argument'. I tried disabling Windows firewall, tried using different ports and all but it just doesn't work.

I'm using the default port 21 to the user folder and port 8500 to the hard drive folder. Both are configured on the port forwarding settings of my router.

What am I overlooking that is making it all go wrong? Why one works and the other doesn't? Basically, I'm using the same settings as the server that works and just changing the port.

why don't you create both the "share points" (not the right term) from within the same FTP server?

the external HDD is connected to the same computer, no?

Because I also need to have limited access to my personal folder. The hard drive is more of a shared thing.

And yes, it is connected to the same computer.

Could it be the remote network is blocking connections to port 8500? Can you telnet to that port or is it dropped immediately?

-KuJoe

6 minutes ago, Ebaberin said:

Because I also need to have limited access to my personal folder. The hard drive is more of a shared thing.

you can have different accounts with different set of credentials for each

10 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

Could it be the remote network is blocking connections to port 8500? Can you telnet to that port or is it dropped immediately?

Yes. The port is open.

10 minutes ago, zMeul said:

I tried searching about it but I only could find stuff related to Macs.

10 minutes ago, zMeul said:

here's an example: http://www.sherweb.com/blog/how-to-set-up-ftp-access-for-multiple-users-with-user-isolation/

but why IIS? enabling it adds more than FTP server

FileZilla is much simpler

Unfortunately that doesn't work for me. It needs a root directory, which is not possible for multiple drives.

I don't want to use FileZilla because I prefer to stick to solutions already provided by Microsoft.

i dont use ftp, i use sftp which is done through ssh port. Access is controlled by both folder permissions and user.

You dont run 2 of the same servers on the same machine, you run 1 and configure as they cant both use the same port.

I find this sort of thing much easier with linux. On windows you can mount a drive as a folder so that should solve your problem.

15 hours ago, zMeul said:

why don't you create both the "share points" (not the right term) from within the same FTP server?

the external HDD is connected to the same computer, no?

15 hours ago, Ebaberin said:

15 hours ago, zMeul said:

14 hours ago, Ebaberin said:

I tried searching about it but I only could find stuff related to Macs.

14 hours ago, zMeul said:

here's an example: http://www.sherweb.com/blog/how-to-set-up-ftp-access-for-multiple-users-with-user-isolation/

but why IIS? enabling it adds more than FTP server

FileZilla is much simpler

14 hours ago, Ebaberin said:

Unfortunately that doesn't work for me. It needs a root directory, which is not possible for multiple drives.

I don't want to use FileZilla because I prefer to stick to solutions already provided by Microsoft.

Ah. Well then. That pretty much sums it up right there - you're using IIS for your FTP server. le sigh

Don't get me wrong, IIS can be useful, especially if you've got a need to run a complicated ASP.NET based web app, but you need to know what you're doing.

I develop WordPress sites for a living and am capable of configuring servers like I know the back of my hand - but I know nothing about IIS.

You'd have better luck learning how to run FileZilla's FTP Server, or even better: setup a dedicated homeserver/NAS box since other people are accessing the shared folder. This way your computer doesn't need to be always on, sucking high amounts of power, and instead you can have a smaller less power-hungry PC running.

I'd recommend following this HowToGeek article on setting up FileZilla FTP Servers to get started.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

4 hours ago, kirashi said:

Ah. Well then. That pretty much sums it up right there - you're using IIS for your FTP server. le sigh

Don't get me wrong, IIS can be useful, especially if you've got a need to run a complicated ASP.NET based web app, but you need to know what you're doing.

I develop WordPress sites for a living and am capable of configuring servers like I know the back of my hand - but I know nothing about IIS.

You'd have better luck learning how to run FileZilla's FTP Server, or even better: setup a dedicated homeserver/NAS box since other people are accessing the shared folder. This way your computer doesn't need to be always on, sucking high amounts of power, and instead you can have a smaller less power-hungry PC running.

I'd recommend following this HowToGeek article on setting up FileZilla FTP Servers to get started.

Alright then. You convinced me. I'll leave my stubborn nature aside for a while, try FileZilla and share my experiences later.

Wish me luck.