AMD will demo its Radeon R9 290X video card tomorrow in Montreal

snowComet

huh, didn't realize it was in quiet mode... then again, that thing was like SUPER QUIET so that should've been a give away

Sorry guys I don't think I'll be at the AMD event.

I'm here in Montreal on NVIDIA's dime, and it would make me feel a little uncomfortable to be doing coverage of their direct competitor during a trip like this.

It's one thing if NV sponsored me to be at a tradeshow like CES where the expectation is that there will be many tech products to cover, but this is not that...

Linus

Sell out? Do you think you could elaborate a little? From a press perspective, being payed and choosing not to cover a competitors show because of that payment... You see where I'm going with this.

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

Sell out? Do you think you could elaborate a little? From a press perspective, being payed and choosing not to cover a competitors show because of that payment... You see where I'm going with this.

He doesn't mean Nvidia is paying him to be there. Nvidia paid for the trip and likely the hotel and stuff. This is fairly common.

In the meanwhile, I'll write some of the things they told me:

They aren't competing with Titan on Price (infering not 1k and apparently all the rumours about the price are wrong.

Crossfire needs at least PCI-e 2.0 x16 at least (guess that means intel boards)... Coincidentally, can't use Thunderbolt to Xfire (like one in, one out)due to security reasons.

Observations: 780 had a lot of screen tearing... Especially at the start. Mobos were identical, both ran from an 3.5 inch drive (not SSD). 780 rig had stock intel cooler and AMD ram whereas the ATI had an aftermarket cooler and something that looked like gamer ram. Though clocks were the same on both.

Also, 4K is GORGEOUS....

According to http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-nvidia-geforce-gtx-780-review:

A small voltage boost takes you up to 1GHz and from there, not only does the 780 match the stock Titan, it even manages to exceed it

So, yeah. Tom's Hardware hinted at the 290x beating the Titan also.

R9 290X doesn’t just do well against the GeForce GTX 780.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-radeon-r9-290x-benchmark-performance,24732.html

"Doesn't just" implies it does well against other cards (and it would make little sense to have those other cards be the 770, 760...).

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

Sorry guys I don't think I'll be at the AMD event.

I'm here in Montreal on NVIDIA's dime, and it would make me feel a little uncomfortable to be doing coverage of their direct competitor during a trip like this.

It's one thing if NV sponsored me to be at a tradeshow like CES where the expectation is that there will be many tech products to cover, but this is not that...

Linus

just have one of your employee's hop over and for them to do it on their own dime.

He doesn't mean Nvidia is paying him to be there. Nvidia paid for the trip and likely the hotel and stuff. This is fairly common.

I understand Linus would feel awkward going over there... But the reason he doesn't go is because of the hospitality of nVidia. nVidia would understand that as a member of the press community, it's his duty to cover even their competitors. I respect Linus and all. I understand he can choose not to cover everything. But when he chooses not to cover something specifically because he received valuable items from a competitor...

If he said, I'm not going to cover the AMD thing because I'm not interested; and besides, I'll have benchmarks when the NDA lifts. That would be okay.

Just because "selling out" is common, doesn't make it okay.

edit: I'm not asking/telling Linus to go over there. I'm just letting him know these types of things hurt his reputation. He doesn't play "sponsored by nVidia" before his AMD converge does he? He knows people feel like his word isn't reliable when he does such things.

I understand Linus would feel awkward going over there... But the reason he doesn't go is because of the hospitality of nVidia. nVidia would understand that as a member of the press community, it's his duty to cover even their competitors. I respect Linus and all. I understand he can choose not to cover everything. But when he chooses not to cover something specifically because he received valuable items from a competitor...

If he said, I'm not going to cover the AMD thing because I'm not interested; and besides, I'll have benchmarks when the NDA lifts. That would be okay.

Just because "selling out" is common, doesn't make it okay.

If you ever mention "sell out" then no, you don't respect him and you don't understand either what his job is and how business is done.

“The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it the more it will contract” -Oliver Wendell Holmes “If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” -Carl Sagan

If you ever mention "sell out" then no, you don't respect him and you don't understand either what his job is and how business is done.

You make a good point. I shouldn't respect him, no? I still do because I understand the awkwardness was the real motivating factor; not that bald dude nefariously eying Linus. Understanding business... You and I know getting payed by someone is business. Getting payed by someone and not covering their competitor is reputation hurting -- thus, in theory, bad business.

You make a good point. I shouldn't respect him, no? I still do because I understand the awkwardness was the real motivating factor; not that bald dude nefariously eying Linus. Understanding business... You and I know getting payed by someone is business. Getting payed by someone and not covering their competitor is reputation hurting -- thus, in theory, bad business.

It looks like you have trouble reading and you can't make coherent sentences nor use proper grammar. Talking to you seems seems like a waste of time.

“The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it the more it will contract” -Oliver Wendell Holmes “If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” -Carl Sagan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

Besides, that's got to be against the CoC...

edit: I stand corrected. After thinking for a while, I've decided that Linus didn't sell out. I mean: he isn't recommending nVidia over AMD; he's just choosing not to cover AMD because of business (This is where I was struggling; this obviously is positive PR from AMD, and choosing not to cover it seems to be anti-consumer. But again, I don't think he means it that way.). In the future, I'd rather see Linus have a 780ti or 790 to review. Maybe if he did go over and did a "Linus Torvalds" (give the finger to nVidia), he would lose out on an opportunity for that future content. We do have other major press covering this juicy topic. I'd still love to hear Linus' thoughts during next week's WAN show though.

Edited by TheMissxu

Not entirely sure why TheMissxu quoted me earlier....

Also glad you came around to understand Linus's position (I was a little sad that I couldn't meet him), but that's what us community members are here for. We cover what Linus doesn't have time for/can't cover.

even AMD thinks you're wrong on this one, they were stopping members of the press at the door and basically telling them that if you were in Montreal on Nvidia's dime it would be rude to go to AMD's event instead.

For people complaining about Linus not covering the event, imagine for a moment that a friend gives you money to buy something that you need. Instead you go and squander it on lottery tickets or something completely useless.

The same principle applies here. 

I respect him for his decision. Covering AMD's event while taking a trip sponsored by Nvidia would be unprofessional and rude. If someone did that to my company I would want nothing to do with them. He made the right choice. 

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

Honestly, the AMD event was good PR for AMD. So not covering it just seems in favor of nVidia. (This is the main point of the argument).

Obviously, we all have seen the news, so no harm done. Come launch day, LTT will have their own benchmarks (I assume. Again, no harm will be done). Thus, it doesn't affect Linus' audience and isn't in favor of nVidia.

I watched the event live stream and enjoyed lunch with him. I couldn't do that if nVidia didn't host him.

I would respect him more if he had gone to the AMD room (ie standing up for his audience). But I understand his situation; the awkwardness would have overwhelmed me also. Linus is part of the press; therefore, covering anything is his profession (thus, it wouldn't have been unprofessional). While It would have been 100% rude (which is why I understand his actions), AMD would ultimately be to blame (they have a crafty PR team). But if the AMD room had something game changing (which there wasn't), I really would have liked to see him cover it.

Tek Syndicate actually reported "Nvidia set up a "bouncer" to block media members from entering, casually reminding them that Nvidia invited them and paid for their tickets." I do recall TimmyTechTV saying the AMD crew reminded the press of the same thing.

It would still have been extremely rude of Linus to cover the AMD event as his transport and accommodation was being paid for by nVidia.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Linus made the right choice.

I just wish AMD had the event right after Nvidia's, so anyone there for Nvidia's event could have went to AMD's the next day and just prolong the trip a day or two(maybe three).

I love the fact AMD was using Intel CPU's for those tests! :D

Specs: CPU: FX 8350 MOBO: Crosshair V Formula-Z RAM: 2x4GB Kingston HyperX Beast 1600Mhz GPU: Gigabyte GTX 780 Windforce GHz Edition PSU: Corsair CX750M Case: Corsair 750D Storage: Corsair Neutron GTX 120GB + WD 2TB Green + WD 200GB Black (non-functional/to take up space) Monitor: ASUS PB238Q Upgrade Plans Herehttp://pcpartpicker.com/user/chipsndip104/saved/3AAt

i dont see  a point why this thread is still alive

Real programmers don't document, if it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.
I've learned that something constructive comes from every defeat.

well it IS just the ATI branch guys so maybe they don't really care about the CPU end (also, so long as the games aren't highly multi-threaded, I'm pretty sure everyone acknowledges that an i7 benches better than an 8350).

i dont see  a point why this thread is still alive

because everyone feels like having an open, un-censored discussion about various topics and it happened to degenerate in such a way as to keep a totally unrelated thread alive. That being said, I doubt it's bothering THAT many people so no need to complain.

because everyone feels like having an open, un-censored discussion about various topics and it happened to degenerate in such a way as to keep a totally unrelated thread alive. That being said, I doubt it's bothering THAT many people so no need to complain.

discussion have its place

the thread about amd showing off its a gpu and that ended

if you want to discuss then go make a thread in general discussion

Real programmers don't document, if it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.
I've learned that something constructive comes from every defeat.