Thoughts on a CPU upgrade

Right now I have a Z97 Extreme4 board from ASRock with my i5-4460. This is because I bought the board knowing that I would want to upgrade to an unlocked chip soon enough and could save money if I stayed on the same platform. So I was wondering a few things about Haswell K series CPUs:

1. I've heard the 4770K and 4790K are basically the same exact thing, just one has higher out of the box clocks. Is this true, or is the 4790K actually better for some reason?

2. Is it worth getting one of those for light content creation (being able to encode, preferably at 60 FPS 720p with the CPU while gaming), or should I go for the 4690K?

3. Should I wait till Zen comes out, because perhaps if it's competitive, the price on Haswell will drop a bit?

Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch ------ One day I'll have a desktop again...

2 minutes ago, Spork829 said:

Right now I have a Z97 Extreme4 board from ASRock with my i5-4460. This is because I bought the board knowing that I would want to upgrade to an unlocked chip soon enough and could save money if I stayed on the same platform. So I was wondering a few things about Haswell K series CPUs:

1. I've heard the 4770K and 4790K are basically the same exact thing, just one has higher out of the box clocks. Is this true, or is the 4790K actually better for some reason?

2. Is it worth getting one of those for light content creation (being able to encode, preferably at 60 FPS 720p with the CPU while gaming), or should I go for the 4690K?

3. Should I wait till Zen comes out, because perhaps if it's competitive, the price on Haswell will drop a bit?

why not just go for i5 6600k

Just now, NeoSk11zle said:

why not just go for i5 6600k

Would have to buy a new motherboard. The point is I bought the Z97 board so I could buy Haswell instead and save the extra money.

I think for your build the 4460 is good.  Yes, the 4790k will be a good upgrade, but you might not actually notice a big difference.  I think you should wait for Zen or Kabylake and see how things look.  You can always upgrade to the 4790k later if the next gen CPUs aren't as good as you hoped.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

Just now, Spork829 said:

Would have to buy a new motherboard. The point is I bought the Z97 board so I could buy Haswell instead and save the extra money.

Oh Ok. 4790k is better in single/multi threaded workloads so your call 

1 minute ago, CostcoSamples said:

I think for your build the 4460 is good.  Yes, the 4790k will be a good upgrade, but you might not actually notice a big difference.  I think you should wait for Zen or Kabylake and see how things look.  You can always upgrade to the 4790k later if the next gen CPUs aren't as good as you hoped.

he doesn't wan to by a new motherboard for kaby lake

1 minute ago, CostcoSamples said:

That's what I thought as well, but the 4460 has been showing weakness in a few situations, and I've been solely using NVENC for livestreaming because it can't really handle video encoding at all unless the game isn't taxing more than maybe 20%.

I have another option.

Xeon E3 1231 V3

Xeon E3 1241 V3

These are basicaly i7 4770/4790 (non K) without the integrated graphics. They are way cheaper than i7 4770/4790 but perform exactly the same and it is great upgrade from i5 4460. You just cant OC it easily... OC is very limited on these.

4 minutes ago, Spork829 said:

1. They're not  quite the same thing. Yes higher clock speed but the 4790K also has better overclocking potential as Intel replaced the thermal paste between the IHS and the die.

2. For content creation yes an i7 is noticeably better especially with multi tasking while doing so.

3. I wouldn't wait for Zen, as much as I want it to be amazing, because it is still an unknown. 

4. However do none of the above really. I think you would be better served waiting for Cannonlake (the one after Kaby lake) for a full mobo and cpu change. 

Just my 2c :)

CPU: Intel i9 9900K Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z390-F RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3000MHz CL15 GPU: Gigabyte 1080Ti Windforce w/ AIO Liquid cooler Case: Fractal Design Define S Storage: 500GB Samsung 970 Evo NVME, 1TB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB SanDisk Ultra II, 2TB Samsung 860 QVO PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 Gold 850W Display: 1440p 144Hz Acer XG270HU CPU Cooling: Noctua NH-D15 Keyboard: Logitech G Pro TKL Mouse: Logitech G403 Wireless Sound: Fiio E10k + Sennheiser HD6xx + Logitech Desktop Tower Speakers OS: Windows 10 Home

1 minute ago, Schrodingers Kat said:

1. They're not  quite the same thing. Yes higher clock speed but the 4790K also has better overclocking potential as Intel replaced the thermal paste between the IHS and the die.

2. For content creation yes an i7 is noticeably better especially with multi tasking while doing so.

3. I wouldn't wait for Zen, as much as I want it to be amazing, because it is still an unknown. 

4. However do none of the above really. I think you would be better served waiting for Cannonlake (the one after Kaby lake) for a full mobo and cpu change. 

Wait cannon lake. THEY NAMED IT CANNON LAKE. I U FKING KIDDING ME. kms

9 minutes ago, Spork829 said:

I'd recommend a 4790K if you're going to use OBS to record. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Okay, I'm not liquid cooling anyways so I think for the modest OC I'd get they would be functionally the same. And for now I may just be patient, because if I can get a new motherboard and a really powerful new-gen chip for the same price as one of these current ones, I'd definitely spring for that. On the other hand I really would like that extra power.

4 minutes ago, WereCat said:

I have another option.

Xeon E3 1231 V3

Xeon E3 1241 V3

These are basicaly i7 4770/4790 (non K) without the integrated graphics. They are way cheaper than i7 4770/4790 but perform exactly the same and it is great upgrade from i5 4460. You just cant OC it easily... OC is very limited on these.

That would be interesting. I would like to OC but at the same time the prices on those are tempting. Certainly an option.

1 minute ago, Spork829 said:

Okay, I'm not liquid cooling anyways so I think for the modest OC I'd get they would be functionally the same. And for now I may just be patient, because if I can get a new motherboard and a really powerful new-gen chip for the same price as one of these current ones, I'd definitely spring for that. On the other hand I really would like that extra power.

The differences in Haswell and Skylake is minimal most of the time. I'd say get the best you can get for the platform since they still have 6 years left in them.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

7 minutes ago, zMeul said:

http://ark.intel.com/compare/75123,80807

Processor Base Frequency
3.50 GHz 4.00 GHz

Max Turbo Frequency
3.90 GHz 4.40 GHz

Intel® Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O (VT-d)
No Yes

Thanks, never even knew ark had a compare feature.

You can find the last gen chips for slightly cheaper (depending where you live) but I personally think its money spent on an outdated platform and so not needed. If your really hunting for a new platform you could spring for the kaby lake line which should be available Q1 2017. Anandtech has done a semi deep dive into the changes of the new generation however its not complete without the desktop parts. You could spring for the 7700k (if its called that) and a half decent mobo and should be set. If you cant wait for even that then you may be able to snag a 6700k and z170 mobo for cheap nearing the end of this year as we get close to the kaby lake launch. 

CPU: Intel i9 9900K Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z390-F RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3000MHz CL15 GPU: Gigabyte 1080Ti Windforce w/ AIO Liquid cooler Case: Fractal Design Define S Storage: 500GB Samsung 970 Evo NVME, 1TB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB SanDisk Ultra II, 2TB Samsung 860 QVO PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 Gold 850W Display: 1440p 144Hz Acer XG270HU CPU Cooling: Noctua NH-D15 Keyboard: Logitech G Pro TKL Mouse: Logitech G403 Wireless Sound: Fiio E10k + Sennheiser HD6xx + Logitech Desktop Tower Speakers OS: Windows 10 Home

You can find the last gen chips for slightly cheaper (depending where you live) but I personally think its money spent on an outdated platform and so not needed. If your really hunting for a new platform you could spring for the kaby lake line which should be available Q1 2017. Anandtech has done a semi deep dive into the changes of the new generation however its not complete without the desktop parts. You could spring for the 7700k (if its called that) and a half decent mobo and should be set. If you cant wait for even that then you may be able to snag a 6700k and z170 mobo for cheap nearing the end of this year as we get close to the kaby lake launch. 

I'd consider that. Though at the same time, how outdated really is Haswell? I don't think I'll be missing out on anything big for a few years after buying, even if that's after Kaby Lake or even Cannonlake. So if those drive Haswell prices down I might just go with that, because personally I don't really need to be on the bleeding edge.

I'd consider that. Though at the same time, how outdated really is Haswell? I don't think I'll be missing out on anything big for a few years after buying, even if that's after Kaby Lake or even Cannonlake. So if those drive Haswell prices down I might just go with that, because personally I don't really need to be on the bleeding edge.

I forgot to mention xeon parts for your platform. If you can get xeon parts 4c8t for you mobo for half decent prices then that may be your best bet :) The idea of changing platform isn't so much about IPC changes or slight performance improvements, its more about if you need what the new z270 (or whatever they call the main chipset) brings. If you can do with the haswell Z97 chipset and it isnt holding you back then a haswell xeon (since your not going to be ocing it) would be a good choice.

(since your not going to be ocing it)

Well, I would like to OC a little. I only said since I'm using an air cooler it will probably be modest. But yes as mentioned by @WereCat Xeons are definitely an option as well.

Well, I would like to OC a little. I only said since I'm using an air cooler it will probably be modest. But yes as mentioned by @WereCat Xeons are definitely an option as well.

With a 212 Evo you can get some half decent OCs (had one before this current cooler). So itll now depend on how cheap you can find the chips. The 4770K if its cheaper (or very close to) the xeon prices then that would be a good bet. Thing is these chips still go for a fairly high price so it just depends on how good you are at hunting for sales

9 hours ago, Schrodingers Kat said:

With a 212 Evo you can get some half decent OCs (had one before this current cooler). So itll now depend on how cheap you can find the chips. The 4770K if its cheaper (or very close to) the xeon prices then that would be a good bet. Thing is these chips still go for a fairly high price so it just depends on how good you are at hunting for sales

4770K and 4790K go for around the same price. It'd be worth taking the 4790K even if overclocking isn't a priority thanks to higher TDP and better TIM.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler