Opinions on this monitor :)

hey guys,

so ive had my 1080p monitor, and i have a shoddy second monitor running at just above 720p.

i plan to replace the 720p with a 1440p and make that my new main monitor. 

the reason why i want 1440p instead of 1080p is 

a) larger screen so more pixels 

b) i have a MBP with retina display, everything looks shite now xD

c) more is always better!

so i've looked around, and the reviews for this look good on amazon, but i would like to know what you guys think and if theres anything else that compares (at not a ridiculous price!)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/PB278Q-Widescreen-Multimedia-2560x1440-DisplayPort/dp/B009668YPM/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=2D35C5IB1LYEF&coliid=ISAI5M06D6HOC

Spoiler

Gaming/Engineering PC: -i7 6700K, 4-4.2GHz "Eleanor" -ASUS ROG HERO VIII MOBO -16GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair (2x8GB) -Gigabyte Windforce 980Ti OC edition (1405MHz GPU clock) -H110i GT Corsair CPU Water cooler -980GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD -Corsair 450D ATX Case -RM850i Corsair PSU (Modular) -28” 4K Samsung -27” 1080p Samsung 

Take a look at the DP2710, you might like that better. Much better price too, and it's more overclockable.

The PB278Q is a nice monitor. You also have the Dell U2713HM which is actually a better monitor, and comes a sRGB color profile which has been calibrated at the manufacture before shipping (all you need to do, is install the monitor, and go on the monitor on screen menu, and select the sRGB color profile). A report on the calibration is provided. Also, the back light of the Dell model is not controller by a PWM, meaning no flickering, if you are sensitive to this, meaning, while you don't see the flickering when you are sensitive, but avoid having headaches when using the computer for long period of time.

It has great reviews, solid build quality, for any warranty related problems, you get to keep the monitor while Dell ships you a replacement one, where inside the box, you'll find a pre-paid shipping label. You simply stick it over the old one, swamp the monitor, and call the appropriate mail carrier to come and pick it up. ASUS you need to pay return shipping. Dell coverage for faulty pixels is a competitive 6 or more dead pixel, with no zones or distance policy (you count 6 or more anywhere -> replacement), and 0 bright or stuck pixels policy.

The monitor is non glossy, alloying you to be able to focus on your work, and fully adjustable, like the ASUS model you are looking at.

again I have to agree with GoodBytes Dell U2713M . Awesome. I wouldn't trust the factory calibration settings but that's just me.

"Play the course as you find it. Play the Ball as it lies. And if you can't do either, do what's fair."

I wouldn't trust the factory calibration settings but that's just me.

Yes. well. It's better than nothing, that's the way I see it. And there is a visual different of seeing colors more accurate... even though they are not good enough for color critical work. It gets a pass as it's a consumer grade product, not a professional grade. Beside, a person that needs color accuracy, would have a color calibrator already in hand, and calibrate their monitor at least once a month to compensate wear of the backlight and panel, to really keep things extra precise... well the best the panel can do.

Yes. well. It's better than nothing, that's the way I see it. And there is a visual different of seeing colors more accurate... even though they are not good enough for color critical work. It gets a pass as it's a consumer grade product, not a professional grade. Beside, a person that needs color accuracy, would have a color calibrator already in hand, and calibrate their monitor at least once a month to compensate wear of the backlight and panel, to really keep things extra precise... well the best the panel can do.

Yup. Exactly what I do. As I said I do color critical work so I simply don't trust the calibration, but I tend to notice with my friends (that don't do color critical work) that they don't like to have their monitors calibrated, ones love them to look "cold" kinda blueish some like them yellowish... I find that pretty awkward, but it's how it is. 

"Play the course as you find it. Play the Ball as it lies. And if you can't do either, do what's fair."

ones love them to look "cold" kinda blueish some like them yellowish... I find that pretty awkward, but it's how it is.

Yes that already already in a discussing in another forum. Some like colors "more vivid" (read: over-saturated) or flat. It's because they are used to wrong colors all their life. So when they see correct colors (well more correct), it feel strange to them. If you force yourself, you get used to it after a while, and then when you look back at the old monitor you'll go "WTF it this shit? I used to like this? No **** way! What a piece of garbage!" Type of reaction.

Yes that already already in a discussing in another forum. Some like colors "more vivid" (read: over-saturated) or flat. It's because they are used to wrong colors all their life. So when they see correct colors (well more correct), it feel strange to them. If you force yourself, you get used to it after a while, and then when you look back at the old monitor you'll go "WTF it this shit? I used to like this? No **** way! What a piece of garbage!" Type of reaction.

to be honest, a few years back when I calibrated  my first monitor I was like "WTF is this it's so yellow!!!" Then I've put some faith in it, did some work on it, and when it cam back from print, then I saw the difference...I never questioned color calibration after that :D