Should i buy rx480 or gtx 1060 for gaming?

spiralfuzion
1 hour ago, spiralfuzion said:

playing in 1080p and ill be playing gta, skyrim, a little bit of the witcher 3. I'll assume I will have to lower some settings for the witcher 3. fallout, tombraider 

As far as I know, the GTX 1060 is the faster card in most or all of those titles, including Rise of the Tomb Raider's DX12 mode.

There's some guesswork involved here. There are some games that the RX 480 does really well in, but it's not necessarily true that all DirectX 12 or Vulkan titles will run like Doom does. Just because the RX 480 gets X% improvement from Vulkan in Doom, don't assume you will get the same % improvement in every Vulkan game. Also, some of the most relevant DirectX 12 games we have so far have been closely tied to AMD and their Gaming Evolved program, so it's not exactly surprising that AMD's cards do particularly well in those games.

1 hour ago, spiralfuzion said:

I'll consider a freesync monitor since i've been hearing great things about them.  I just dont know which to pick since it's confusing. I guess a factor would be power consumption since im throwing it in a prebuilt i got a while back. It does have a 460watt powersupply. It's an hp branded one and yes i know there will be problems with it because it's not a great supply. Does one have a considerably lower power draw? 

You dont even need to think about it anymore 1060 for sure. With that power supply it wont be enough to support the rx480 because of the extra power draw it pulls from the OC that comes with AIB cards.