i7 or i5

yannick12

hey,

planning to build a new gaming pc. i cant choose between the i5-6600k and the i7-6700k. does it effect gaming or??? thanks!

Btw: i am also going to use vmware

Intel Core I5-6500, Gigabyte GTx 750 Ti 4Gb

What is your budget and what GPU are you considering?

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Yep, an i7 reduces stuttering and gives more FPS, it's also more powerful and more futureproof. But it's also more expensive.

What GPU?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Just now, Castdeath97 said:

What is your budget and what GPU are you considering?

well i dont realy have a budget if it makes a difference. and planning to use 2 RX 480's

1 minute ago, Vape_lord said:

hey,

planning to build a new gaming pc. i cant choose between the i5-6600k and the i7-6700k. does it effect gaming or??? thanks!

Btw: i am also going to use vmware

It won't have that much impact in most games. 5 FPS in FPS games and GPU-bound games, 10+ in open world games. But it should help some if doing alot of virtualization. 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

1 minute ago, Vape_lord said:

well i dont realy have a budget if it makes a difference. and planning to use 2 RX 480's

no you don't. Why would you get an CF system over a single, more powerfull card? get a 1080 pls

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

2 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Yep, an i7 reduces stuttering and gives more FPS, it's also more powerful and more futureproof. But it's also more expensive.

What GPU?

2 rx 480's

1 minute ago, FloRolf said:

no you don't. Why would you get an CF system over a single, more powerfull card? get a 1080 pls

it is cheaper...

Just now, Vape_lord said:

Don't use two RX 480s, get one 1070. Not all games support crossfire and some suffer from frame time issues:

(I know that's an RX 470, but its pretty close in performance and price)

(Yes that is a fury x, but it does investigate crossfire performance).

Also at what resolution will you play? That can matter too.

Pascal laptops guide

Don't use two RX 480s, get one 1070. Not all games support crossfire and some suffer from frame time issues:

(I know that's an RX 470, but its pretty close in performance and price)

(Yes that is a fury x, but it does investigate crossfire performance).

Also at what resolution will you play? That can matter too.

1440p

it is cheaper...

But will run you up with more issues than a single card, it's generally not that recommended for mid tier cards.

Pascal laptops guide

But will run you up with more issues than a single card, it's generally not that recommended for mid tier cards.

ok, thanks

2 minutes ago, Vape_lord said:

2 rx 480's

Then get the i7.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

1440p

Well your going into more GPU bound territory there, but the i7 will help with virtualisation so do consider it.

Pascal laptops guide

Well your going into more GPU bound territory there, but the i7 will help with virtualisation so do consider it.

i will thanks! but will the i5-6600k run with the 1070?

Yes. It won't hold the 1070 back much at 1440p since it's more GPU bound now, but if can afford it go for if you want extra benefits with virtualisation and maybe other tasks that can benefit from the extra cores. You can go for a i5 and a 1080, but I'm not sure how well it's going to handle. Still waiting for someone like digital foundry to try it out and see how well the i5 handles it.

Pascal laptops guide

1 minute ago, Castdeath97 said:

Yes. It won't hold the 1070 back much at 1440p since it's more GPU bound now, but if can afford it go for if you want extra benefits with virtualisation and maybe other tasks that can benefit from the extra cores. You can go for a i5 and a 1080, but I'm not sure how well it's going to handle. Still waiting for someone like digital foundry to try it out and see how well the i5 handles it.

There's nothing really set in stone on what bottlenecks the 1080 yet, can't really find any concrete results of anything yet. There's been quite an argument about it here on the forums whether or not the 6600K bottlenecks a 1080 or not. I'd personally like to say that it does from what I've seen on benchmarks and tests so far.

6 minutes ago, Vape_lord said:

That should be fine.

If you however can afford the 6700K I'd recommend it, gives you some extra horsepower and lesser chance of bottlenecking future upgrades.

Just now, MVPernula said:

There's nothing really set in stone on what bottlenecks the 1080 yet, can't really find any concrete results of anything yet. There's been quite an argument about it here on the forums whether or not the 6600K bottlenecks a 1080 or not. I'd personally like to say that it does from what I've seen on benchmarks and tests so far.

That should be fine.

If you however can afford the 6700K I'd recommend it, gives you some extra horsepower and lesser chance of bottlenecking future upgrades.

thanks! have a good day

If budget is not an issues get gtx 1080 or 1070.single gpu is always better than sli/crossfire for gaming 

Just now, HmmR said:

If budget is not an issues get gtx 1080 or 1070.single gpu is always better than sli/crossfire for gaming 

thank you sir