Overclocking (Sort Of) Help

To sum up my situation: Ive got a GTX 970 and a AMD Athlon X4 880k (Which bottlenecks my GPU) with a Gigabyte GA-F2A75M-HD2 V3.0 Motherboard.

So I'm looking to set my CPU frequency to 4.2 GHZ (Which is the max turbo)

I've done this in my BIOS but I'm a newby when it comes to overclocking and BIOS in general, so when I booted up Overwatch there was a noticeable performance boost but the computer shutdown after a couple minutes of gameplay. This hasn't happened before so it must of been because I changed the BIOS settings. Do I need to change any other setting, increase voltage? (I've got a 550W power supply) Disable turbo boost or anything like that. I can take a photo of my current settings if you want.

Thanks for your help

See attached for what my BIOS looks like (Photo from internet)

maxresdefault.jpg

when your pc turns of you have to play with the voltage or multiplier just take it slowly step by step. also everytime you overclock it a bit more test it. so i think you have to up the voltage a little bit.

Intel Core I5-6500, Gigabyte GTx 750 Ti 4Gb

Just now, Vape_lord said:

when your pc turns of you have to play with the voltage or multiplier just take it slowly step by step. also everytime you overclock it a bit more test it. so i think you have to up the voltage a little bit.

Alright thanks, how much should i turn the voltage by do you think?

Just now, hedghehog said:

Alright thanks, how much should i turn the voltage by do you think?

what is the voltage now?

1 minute ago, hedghehog said:

I just took some photos of my BIOS and uploaded them to imgur:

http://imgur.com/a/6lLxy

If you'd like to see anymore photos just ask :)

1st try to overclock it from 4 ghz to 4,1 and see if that works

5 minutes ago, Vape_lord said:

1st try to overclock it from 4 ghz to 4,1 and see if that works

I already did, it seemed to work fine. (I only was playing the game for about 3 minutes)

21 minutes ago, Vape_lord said:

test it longer 

Ok so I played a game of Overwatch, steady fps and did not shut down at 4.1 GHZ. 

I think I might just leave it to be honest Im pretty happy with the performance.

But lets say I wanted to push it to 4.2 from 4.1GHZ how much more volts/watts would I need to add do you think?

Thanks again

50 minutes ago, Vape_lord said:

test it longer 

How much more voltage should I add if I wanted to set it at 4.2 GHz?

What is the setting called that I would change to do this?

10 minutes ago, Vape_lord said:

He has an AMD cpu and you tell him to look at an Intel OC Guide?

@hedghehog In your first picture the first setting is the one you need to change, change it from Auto to Fixed or Manual (whatever the case), then you will be able to specify exactly how many volts you want. I recommend you start at 4.1GHz with 1.4V.

Play for a while, and if it does not crash, bump the voltage down to 1.39v and test again. Do this over and over again until your pc crashes while you are testing, and revert to the last voltage setting. That will be the minimum required VCore for the cpu at 4.1GHz.

Let's imagine that the minimum voltage of your cpu for 4.1GHz is 1.35V, if you want to go to 4.2GHz change the Vcore to 1.4V and do the process again until you find the lowest stable voltage for 4.2GHz

Just now, MoraisGT said:

@hedghehog In your first picture the first setting is the one you need to change, change it from Auto to Fixed or Manual (whatever the case), then you will be able to specify exactly how many volts you want. I recommend you start at 4.1GHz with 1.4V.

Play for a while, and if it does not crash, bum the voltage down to 1.39v and test again. Do this over and over again until you the pc crashes while you are testing, and revert to the last voltage setting. That will be the minimum required VCore for the cpu at 4.1GHz.

Let's imagine that the minimum voltage of your cpu for 4.1GHz is 1.35V, if you want to go to 4.2GHz change the Vcore to 1.4V and do the process again until you find the lowest stable voltage for 4.2GHz

waauw i am sorry lol thanks

2 minutes ago, Vape_lord said:

waauw i am sorry lol thanks

No problem, honest mistake ;)

It would have been worse if it was the other way around. If he was looking at an amd oc guide for an intel cpu....putting 1.4-1.5V on the poor intel chip wouldn't be very good :P

Just now, MoraisGT said:

No problem, honest mistake ;)

It would have been worse if it was the other way around. If he was looking at an amd oc guide for an intel cpu....putting 1.4-1.5V on the poor intel chip wouldn't be very good :P

haha true..... thanks for the backup

5 minutes ago, MoraisGT said:

Play for a while, and if it does not crash, bump the voltage down to 1.39v and test again. Do this over and over again until your pc crashes while you are testing, and revert to the last voltage setting. That will be the minimum required VCore for the cpu at 4.1GHz.

Ok this makes sense, i've played a game using 1.4Ghz and the 'auto' Voltage and it works fine, I don' see any reason to change it however it does for some reason crash I will keep this in mind.

Ok this makes sense, i've played a game using 1.4Ghz and the 'auto' Voltage and it works fine, I don' see any reason to change it however it does for some reason crash I will keep this in mind.

It is never a good idea to use auto voltage when overclokcing, reason being the auto voltage system usually sends more voltage to the cpu than what's necessary, resulting in unnecessary high temperatures.

2 minutes ago, MoraisGT said:

It is never a good idea to use auto voltage when overclokcing, reason being the auto voltage system usually sends more voltage to the cpu than what's necessary, resulting in unnecessary high temperatures.

Oh right ok, what would be a good voltage to start at?

Also whats the fastest was to find out if the voltage is too low? 

2 minutes ago, hedghehog said:

Oh right ok, what would be a good voltage to start at?

Also whats the fastest was to find out if the voltage is too low? 

Like I told you in my post above, start at 1.4V  at 4.1GHz, test it using Rog Real Bench for example. If it does not crash follow the methodology I mentioned above.

If the voltage is too low the app will probably crash, or the whole pc will crash (which is more likely).

Just now, MoraisGT said:

Like I told you in my post above, start at 1.4V  at 4.1GHz, test it using Rog Real Bench for example. If it does not crash follow the methodology I mentioned above.

If the voltage is too low the app will probably crash, or the whole pc will crash (which is more likely).

Ok great I really appreciate your help!!

Extremely helpful. 

Thanks again :)

Ok great I really appreciate your help!!

Extremely helpful. 

Thanks again :)

No problem!

Any time ;)

30 minutes ago, MoraisGT said:

No problem!

Any time ;)

One more thing,

Sometimes when I try to access the BIOS after shutting down or restarting it will either skip the whole *massive gigabyte logo* and I wont have the opportunity to press the 'del' or 'delete' key and sometimes even if that screen does appear and I spam the 'del' key it dosen't go to the BIOS menu.

This is actually quite a frequent occurrence and I cant figure out why...

Is there an easier way to access BIOS?

Cheers (I might not be able to respond because ill probably go to sleep soon but I will respond tommorow morning in about 10 hours)

Thanks again.

6 hours ago, hedghehog said:

One more thing,

Sometimes when I try to access the BIOS after shutting down or restarting it will either skip the whole *massive gigabyte logo* and I wont have the opportunity to press the 'del' or 'delete' key and sometimes even if that screen does appear and I spam the 'del' key it dosen't go to the BIOS menu.

This is actually quite a frequent occurrence and I cant figure out why...

Is there an easier way to access BIOS?

Cheers (I might not be able to respond because ill probably go to sleep soon but I will respond tommorow morning in about 10 hours)

Thanks again.

You can start pressing delete as soon as the screen goes black, that way you will (almost with 100% certainty) end up in the BIOS.

Although some motherboards have an option to change the POST time (image of the motherboard's brand at start up).

2 hours ago, MoraisGT said:

You can start pressing delete as soon as the screen goes black, that way you will (almost with 100% certainty) end up in the BIOS.

Although some motherboards have an option to change the POST time (image of the motherboard's brand at start up).

So as soon as I turn it on I should just start pressing the delete key a bunch?

21 hours ago, hedghehog said:

So as soon as I turn it on I should just start pressing the delete key a bunch?

Yup... until you land in the BIOS.