How to find my computers bottleneck?

I have a AMD Athlon 860K and a gtx 470 im not really sure which is the bottleneck in the system and what i should replace, is there any good way to find my pc bottleneck without spending money cause i dont have any a the moment. thanks.

You probably don't have one. Watch monitoring software like CAM or CPU-Z and GPU-Z, your GPU in games should be hitting upper 90s unless it's limited by your CPU, if your CPU is staying pegged near 100% and your GPU is 70% you have a CPU bottleneck, if your GPU is hitting the upper 90% consistently things are good and your GPU is being maxed out which is what you want... then its just up to you if you want to upgrade your GPU for a better one, which once again might then be bottlenecked by your CPU.

Just now, DunePilot said:

You probably don't have one.

are you sure? dont all pcs have bottlenecks? like 1 part that can outperform the other

1 minute ago, DerpyDrag0nKing said:

are you sure? dont all pcs have bottlenecks? like 1 part that can outperform the other

Updated with the best explanation I could quickly muster.

4 minutes ago, DerpyDrag0nKing said:

It depends on the Game. Overall this whole Bottleneck Topic is way too overrated. Your CPU and GPU are both lowend, so a serious Bottleneck isnt there.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

6 minutes ago, DunePilot said:

Updated with the best explanation I could quickly muster.

The sockets in your mac were on a daughter board? thats interesting

1 minute ago, DerpyDrag0nKing said:

The sockets in your mac were on a daughter board? thats interesting

The old macs are very very cool machines. They had excellent design... they should really go back to it and abandon the trash can they've had the last few years.

There is always a bottleneck somewhere. If you really notice it is a different thing. As long as you don't notice it and your hardware isn't running into problems with heating and stuttering, and games play smooth it's all ok in my opinion.

But would say that a possibly first thing that would bottleneck is your CPU between those 2.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list

2 minutes ago, DunePilot said:

The old macs are very very cool machines. They had excellent design... they should really go back to it and abandon the trash can they've had the last few years.

btw i use cam and it doesnt detect any of my games so i cant use it to monitor performance do you know how to fix that?

3 minutes ago, DerpyDrag0nKing said:

btw i use cam and it doesnt detect any of my games so i cant use it to monitor performance do you know how to fix that?

GPU-Z and CPU-Z then and run your game in windowed mode or those two applications on a second monitor.

Download MSI Afterburner and set up the on screen utility on it is another option.

13 minutes ago, DunePilot said:

GPU-Z and CPU-Z then and run your game in windowed mode or those two applications on a second monitor.

Download MSI Afterburner and set up the on screen utility on it is another option.

Thanks i get %100 gpu utilization i warframe with max 72% cpu utilization

2 minutes ago, DerpyDrag0nKing said:

Thanks i get %100 gpu utilization i warframe with max 72% cpu utilization

Sounds like you have a well matched system then.

Sounds like you have a well matched system then.

i wanna get a new GPU though it gets super hot in here and the 470 consumers a ton of power

A newer one may be bottlenecked by the CPU, which leaves you with overclocking it if you can for a little extra headroom or upgrading it too or updating to an entirely new platform.

A newer one may be bottlenecked by the CPU, which leaves you with overclocking it if you can for a little extra headroom or upgrading it too or updating to an entirely new platform.

thats the plan, im gonna upgrade the gpu, then when i can upgrade again im gonna upgrade the cpu and motherboard and ill probably need new ram to with AMD now having support for DDR4 its either outdated or new ram at this point

In the performance per watt race Nvidia is the clear winner. So if you upgrade and find the powerconsumption important go for Nvidia. Don't buy founders edition, but other then that EVGA, MSI and Asus have overall several good picks.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list

4 minutes ago, Gonio said:

In the performance per watt race Nvidia is the clear winner. So if you upgrade and find the powerconsumption important go for Nvidia. Don't buy founders edition, but other then that EVGA, MSI and Asus have overall several good picks.

im not super concerned with power consumption, i just dont want a graphics card that pulls 300 watts on its own

3 minutes ago, DerpyDrag0nKing said:

im not super concerned with power consumption, i just dont want a graphics card that pulls 300 watts on its own

Yeah.... I was surprised when GPU-Z shows me I was using over 300watts (peak values) on my Windforced R9-290-OC @ 1195Mhz/1450Mhz

So yeah... don't get that.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Just now, SkilledRebuilds said:

Yeah.... I was surprised when GPU-Z shows me I was using over 300watts (peak values) on my Windforced R9-290-OC @ 1195Mhz/1450Mhz

So yeah... don't get that.

i dont plan on buying an R9, there running on an older architecture that isnt as capable of hihg clock speeds and consumer more power, the rx 480 or the 1060 is what im aiming for. The thing is im really curious about the Rx 490 which hasnt had a lot of coverage, which doesnt make sense its gonna be Radeon series highest end card until vega series comes out