Advice for getting into coin mining.

I am looking into getting into folding or coin mining. If I did coin mining how much could I make using an i5-2500k and a GTX 570? Would litecoin or bitcoin be better? What is your favorite mining program? 

I am brand new to this and know almost nothing as of now. 

Thanks for the help in advance. 

I don't know about litecoin, but bitcoin is pointless to try and mine. the difficulty is too high, with my 7970 i'd only make an estimated $130 a year, even without having to pay for power

Former Teksyndicate Forum Moderator, IT student

my build: http://pcpartpicker.com/b/FnC

Is there any point to folding? I know it doesn't make money but will it even be worth it for the amount I would contribute? 

Is there any point to folding? I know it doesn't make money but will it even be worth it for the amount I would contribute? 

Every little bit helps.

Does anyone even use PCIe SSDs?

hm.......

[spoiler=CORMAC]CPU:Intel celeron 1.6ghz RAM:Kingston 400mhz 1.99gb MOBO:MSI G31TM-P21 GPU:Will add one later on! CASE:local ROUTER D-Link 2750U, D-LINK 2730U MOUSE:HP,DELL,ViP KEYBOARD: v7 SPEAKERS:Creative 245  MONITOR:AOC E970Sw HEADSET: Sony MDRx05s UPS:conex ups avr 500va PSU:idk OD:Samsung super writemaster STORAGE:80 gb seagate+ Seagate 1TB OS:Windows xp sp3 themed to Windows 7 + Linux |Rest all pc in my house will be updated from time-time

COMING SOON

Don't because the difficulty is just too high and also Nvidia GPUs and CPUs wont make you much money....

CPU: AMD R7 5800x | GPU: XFX 5500XT 4GB | RAM: 2x8GB Kingston Fury Renegade 3600MHz CL16 | Cooling: Deepcool Gammaxx L360 | MB: Aorus B550 Elite V2 | Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250gb & WD20EAZX | Case: Antec DF700

Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga 460: Intel 6200U | 8GB | 256GB SSD | Active pen

Ofc there's a point to folding, you help save lives!

Edit-600th post :)

CPU Overclocking Database <------- Over 275 submissions, and over 40,000 views!                         

GPU Overclocking Database                                                    

I tried doing this. The program said i would make 0.0003 coins a day, thats about 2 cents. Pointless.

I don't always have time to study, but when I do, I don't.

hm.......

gratz, you got +1 on your post count, glad to see it means so much to you.

to OP, folding is basically volunteer work, you won't get anything in return other than the fact that you helped speed up research.

with your hardware it will most definitely be worth it to fold. try it out and see if it's your kind of thing.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." Edgar Allan Poe

@natkoui

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

Don't bother with mining with cpu's or gpu's look for ASIC miners or cloud hashing, ASIC mining is where you will start to make some serious money :D , or cloud mining. cloud mining is the simplest way to get started and the best part is they do all the hard work for you :)

link to one of the cheepest cloud hashing services i found (yes i know that it is not active but it is the cheapest and i personally have 5gh/s preordered) :

link to cloud hashing that is active bit more pricey but in the long run you end up about doubling the money you put in :https://cloudhashing.com/

or you can purchase ASIC miners to run you self: http://www.butterflylabs.com/

or you can look around ebay for USB ASIC miners, they are a good cheep way to get into bitcoin mining and are a good and cheep way to see weather you can be bothered mining at all (it is harder to manage at the beginning). 

If you chose to go down the route of mining at home or work the easiest way i found to set up ASIC miners is just to use bitminter: https://bitminter.com/ it is sssoooo simple that anyone can set it up (be sure to follow the instructions though). 

I hope that this helps you if you have questions don't be afraid to ask and remember that if you set it up properly you can make some serious cash!! 

(for my mining i run 13 USB ASIC miners at about 4.3 gh/s which at the time of posting is about 2-3 AUD a day and 5gh/s in the cloud. i get a nice amount of money everyday and it is nice to save up money and get things for effectively for "free" besides the more gh/s you have the more money will come in)

If i have made any big mistakes i apologise because i am also new to bitcoin mining