Fiber internet question

xnoobftw

Currently my house is paying 51.80SGD/month for a 10mbps (38~USD/month)

Now that a 1gbps plan cost 49.90SGD/month (36~USD/month) comes along i feel like we need an upgrade

However im just the youngest kid in the house so i have no say. I suggest this to my family, shortly after i got shot down because the router has to be placed on the otherside of the house(because only this side of the house has the fiber wiring), causing 3 rooms to have no wifi access

So my suggestion is to get a powerline WIFI repeater/adapters, but my house has really shitty powerline (we've used powerline ethernet adapters before and it keeps disconnecting and reconnection).

My question is will powerline WIFI adapters have as big of an impact in terms of disconnection? 

Another question is what sort of cable does the fiber internet use from wall to router? Could i possibly get a long ass one and connect it to the router on the other side of the house (current position of router)

The BBQ: i7-4770 / 212x / Tri-X R9 290x 1075/1400 / MSI H87-G43 GAMING / EVGA G2 850W / Corsair Spec 03 / Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD / Toshiba 2TB HDD / 8gb Kingston DDR3 1600mhz

Peripherals: G710+ / G502 / Bose Companion 2 Series III / Audio Technica ATH-M40x / Sound Magic E50

Monitors: Dell U2414H 

Can't you just extend the wiring using a Gigabit Ethernet cable and place the router where it was.

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters--Line-Coupler-White/dp/B00WKPKKQC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1473512738&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=RJ45+coupler&psc=1

^This is a female to female adapter that should work for you to extend it.

Home PC: i5 6402P | Kingston HyperX 8GBx2 | Gigabyte G1 gaming GTX 1060 | Kingston UV400 240GB | WD blue 1TB Gigabyte H110m-S2 Cooler Master B500 v2

Laptop: Lenovo Yoga 710(Kaby Lake)

Phone: Oneplus 3

Tablet: iPad air 2

You could buy a powerful router, it should easily be able to reach. I currently don't have fiber at my place (Hopefully it will be available before Christmas!) but my grandparents have 50/50, and they have like a 70-100$ router and it can reach like 20-30 meters through 3 walls.

CPU: Intel Core I7 7700K & Corsair H100i v2
Mobo: Asus Maximus IX Hero
RAM: 32 Gigs @ 3000Mhz, Corsair Dominator Platinum
GPU: Asus Strix 1080 A8G
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 500gb
PSU: Corsair HX750i
Case: Fractal Design Define S

3 minutes ago, Shubham Yadav said:

Can't you just extend the wiring using a Gigabit Ethernet cable and place the router where it was.

https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters--Line-Coupler-White/dp/B00WKPKKQC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1473512738&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=RJ45+coupler&psc=1

^This is a female to female adapter that should work for you to extend it.

So the connection will be wall --> optical network terminal --> Router right? In btwn optical network terminal and router is a cat6(e) cable am i right?

The BBQ: i7-4770 / 212x / Tri-X R9 290x 1075/1400 / MSI H87-G43 GAMING / EVGA G2 850W / Corsair Spec 03 / Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD / Toshiba 2TB HDD / 8gb Kingston DDR3 1600mhz

Peripherals: G710+ / G502 / Bose Companion 2 Series III / Audio Technica ATH-M40x / Sound Magic E50

Just now, xnoobftw said:

So the connection will be wall --> optical network terminal --> Router right? In btwn optical network terminal and router is a cat6(e) cable am i right?

Yeah. You just need to ensure that nothing in the route is a 100 Mbps wire/terminal. I got this lesson after buying a 750 Mbps router with only 10/100 Mbps ethenet interface in :(.

Home PC: i5 6402P | Kingston HyperX 8GBx2 | Gigabyte G1 gaming GTX 1060 | Kingston UV400 240GB | WD blue 1TB Gigabyte H110m-S2 Cooler Master B500 v2

3 minutes ago, Shubham Yadav said:

Yeah. You just need to ensure that nothing in the route is a 100 Mbps wire/terminal. I got this lesson after buying a 750 Mbps router with only 10/100 Mbps ethenet interface in :(.

Will a cat6e cable suffice? 

1 minute ago, xnoobftw said:

Will a cat6e cable suffice? 

You have to look at the "specs" if the cable to see if it supports higher than 10/10 100/100 etc.

CPU: Intel Core I7 7700K & Corsair H100i v2
Mobo: Asus Maximus IX Hero
RAM: 32 Gigs @ 3000Mhz, Corsair Dominator Platinum
GPU: Asus Strix 1080 A8G
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 500gb
PSU: Corsair HX750i
Case: Fractal Design Define S

Routers don't accept optical connections. your ISP gets it to you via fiber and with their equipment will get it to you in Ethernet form such as Cat5e/6. Either one can do 1Gps.

At that point you'll connect your router and that's it.

In a business environment If you have Fiber then you'll need a media converter from fiber to cat 5. But I do not think that's what you'll need.

Core i7 3770K @ 4.1Ghz (stock voltages) H100i, 32gig of RAM (9-9-9-24), 500gig Samsung EVO 850, 6 Monitors. GTX980ti, R9 380

Yes, a cat6e cable will work. As I said , anything with a 1 Gbps speed with appropriate way of converting will work.

12 hours ago, jnkokseby said:

You have to look at the "specs" if the cable to see if it supports higher than 10/10 100/100 etc.

12 hours ago, Joeteck said:

Routers don't accept optical connections. your ISP gets it to you via fiber and with their equipment will get it to you in Ethernet form such as Cat5e/6. Either one can do 1Gps.

At that point you'll connect your router and that's it.

In a business environment If you have Fiber then you'll need a media converter from fiber to cat 5. But I do not think that's what you'll need.

11 hours ago, Shubham Yadav said:

Yes, a cat6e cable will work. As I said , anything with a 1 Gbps speed with appropriate way of converting will work.

Now im confused D:

My question will still be:

So the connection will be wall --> optical network terminal --> Router right? In btwn optical network terminal and router is a cat6(e) cable am i right? So if i route a darn long cable from the optical network terminal to the router so that the router original position doesnt change it'll fix all issues right? 

11 hours ago, xnoobftw said:

Now im confused D:

My question will still be:

So the connection will be wall --> optical network terminal --> Router right? In btwn optical network terminal and router is a cat6(e) cable am i right? So if i route a darn long cable from the optical network terminal to the router so that the router original position doesnt change it'll fix all issues right? 

Correct

EDIT: you can also ask the installer if it is possible for them to place the ONT on the side of the house where you currently have the router. When I had fiber installed (Verizon FIOS) I was able to get them to place it in the ideal spot, which was around the corner from where they were initially going to place it.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

2 hours ago, brwainer said:

Correct

EDIT: you can also ask the installer if it is possible for them to place the ONT on the side of the house where you currently have the router. When I had fiber installed (Verizon FIOS) I was able to get them to place it in the ideal spot, which was around the corner from where they were initially going to place it.

Verizon FIOS does not get you fiber as your network connection in your house. Its fiber up to their equipment. You are still using CAT5/5e/6 inside, so that is where you would use a router of your choice

Core i7 3770K @ 4.1Ghz (stock voltages) H100i, 32gig of RAM (9-9-9-24), 500gig Samsung EVO 850, 6 Monitors. GTX980ti, R9 380

1 hour ago, Joeteck said:

Verizon FIOS does not get you fiber as your network connection in your house. Its fiber up to their equipment. You are still using CAT5/5e/6 inside, so that is where you would use a router of your choice

Actually using a "router of your choice" isn't recommended with Fios, and if you subscribe to Fios TV, it is very difficult and picky to get your own router set up and still have full functionality on the set top boxes. In terms of architecture, Fios is the same as nearly all other FTTH installations, where you have to use the ONT provided by the company. I have heard of ISPs that do terminate with a fiber capable router, as in a router with an SFP port, but my understanding is that those are few and far between.

Edit: the main difference I've seen between FTTH in the US vs in Europe is that in the US, the ISPs don't use IPTV in a VLAN, they use regular encrypted QAM that comes right out of the ONT, and their set top boxes are nearly identical to a standard cable company one.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

On September 11, 2016 at 1:01 PM, brwainer said:

Actually using a "router of your choice" isn't recommended with Fios, and if you subscribe to Fios TV, it is very difficult and picky to get your own router set up and still have full functionality on the set top boxes. In terms of architecture, Fios is the same as nearly all other FTTH installations, where you have to use the ONT provided by the company. I have heard of ISPs that do terminate with a fiber capable router, as in a router with an SFP port, but my understanding is that those are few and far between.

Edit: the main difference I've seen between FTTH in the US vs in Europe is that in the US, the ISPs don't use IPTV in a VLAN, they use regular encrypted QAM that comes right out of the ONT, and their set top boxes are nearly identical to a standard cable company one.

Yes, I'm aware. You can bridge the Fios router and allow it to pass its public IP to your 3rd party router. I was under the assumption you knew that. 

Thats is one of the reasons why I would never go Fios.