1070 + xeon e3 1275 v2 ddr3 1600is memory - bottleneck?Upgrade?

Hi, I've been watching a lot of the youtube content and thought I might as well join the forum. So here is my first post and it's an urging question at that either! :)

So I've recently upgraded my MSI GTX 770 2GB to a MSI GTX 1070 8GB graphics card. That was one week ago and since then I have compared framerates I get with framerates people get on test benches where every possible bottleneck is taken care of. So from my understanding I should be getting a couple frames less than in the tests, but for example in Crysis I get about 35ish. I begun to wonder if it is my CPU and/or Memory? Because I got it relatively cheap back then, I run a Xeon E3 1275 V2 @ 3.5 GHz and 32 GB DDR 3 Memory which runs according to CPU-Z @ 798Mhz. The mainboard is an AsRock H77 Pro4/MVP. Probably the worst component in the build.

I have actually been thinking about upgrading to a new board along with a Skylake CPU, specifically a Core i7 6700K and 16 GB of DDR4 Memory, since I don't really need the 32 GB, I think I barely ever even touched 16. 

Though I'm really wondering if it's worth it, I do stream from time to time and put some videos together here and there, but nothing too crazy. I have connected my computer to the living room and use it as a media station as well, I also play games there, so that means my aim with gaming is 1080p@60fps. I actually thought my current system was capable of that, but as it turns out: No. If I choose the recommended settings in nvidias GeForce Experience, I don't get a smooth 60fps in most games I play: FC4, Crysis3, Wither3, AssassinsCreed IV... I have to dial down quite a bit in the settings. In Cinebench I get around 600points and the PhysiX score in 3d Mark was quite underwhelming as well.

So in all, would I benefit from upgrading to a Skylake CPU and DDR4 memory? All in all I think my server chip is bottlenecking the system. And I don't even do any server related stuff.

Thank you for any tips!

That's a haswell xeon right? And fairly close to the 4790 non K. I don't think it's holding you back at all. It's feasible that you can get like 1% more FPS with your planned skylake upgrade. 

If performance is low check other things first: For example my 1070 tends to crash the drivers fairly often (like after a few hours even if idleing) and it looses it's ability to boost up the clock to it's max (i.e. I am stucked on 1300mhz instead of the usual 1898mhz I should boost up until I reset) and such.

-------

Current Rig

-------

It's an Ivy Bridge Chip. From mere specs comparison, it's close to a i7 4770K, albeit without OC possibilities. I'm sure a 1% performance increase would by no means justify the amount of money the upgrade would cost. I run the MSI gaming app and my GPU runs at 2000 MHz, my driver has not crashed so far. So I hope that'll stay this way !

I don't think swapping only the CPU would do anything, since I cannot overclock on my board at all, so if anything I'd have to upgrade everything, and since I want to be as future proof as possible, I thought I'd go with DDR4 now.

33 minutes ago, LuckLess said:

In Cinebench I get around 600points and the PhysiX score in 3d Mark was quite underwhelming as well.

Thats strange i get around 1020pts in cinebench but then again i have 6700k

Have you tried uninstalling all nvidia drivers from the control panel and then using DDU (Display driver uninstaller) in safe mode to eliminate all old drivers. Then grab the latest drivers from Nvidia's site. (If you don't need geforce experience, dont get it)

Another thing i would do is set all the settings in the nvidia control panel to "Let the application decide" or "custom" and then disable all those "enhancements" like film grain removal etc...

Hope i could help! :)

Workstation:

Intel Core i7 6700K | AMD Radeon R9 390X | 16 GB RAM

Mobile Workstation:

MacBook Pro 15" (2017) | Intel Core i7 7820HQ | AMD Radeon Pro 560 | 16 GB RAM

Yes I have tried all the "usual" stuff already. I use DDU whenever I upgrade a driver. Worth mentioning maybe... I did play around with nvidia 3d Vision/3d TV Play of which the test period has now expired, and sometimes I get a strong red tint in fullscreen mode until I disable stereoscopic 3d... 

Besides, Cincebench shouldn't be affacted at all by nvidia drivers, should it? In the control panel, I did choose prefer Performance and Prefer Quality, without significant change in performance nor visuals. so I just put most settings to let the 3d application decide. I do actually use the Geforce experience for recording footage.