MY GTX 970 IS F**CKED

Adamzki

Hi LTT Forums!

I got a EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0 and it is acting funny. 

The thing is that the core clock is super low, i mean it is under "stock".

When I was looking in MSI Afterburner I saw that the card was hitting its Power Limit (at stock with 110% Power Limit). 

So naturally I made my own BIOS in MaxwellBIOSEditor with a Power Limit of 176% (or 150W PCI-E slot and 75W*2 6-PIN PCI-E connectors = 300W).

But i still hit the Power Limit and lower Boost Clocks (what I am showing in the screen shot).

Can you guys help me?

Love from Sweden

GTX 970 FUCK.jpg

BE AWARE OF THE SWEDISH VIKING

if ti were to actually pull that much power you'd hear a pop, see smoke, kill your card, motherboard and cpu at the same time. 

"Try not to take things personally; what people say about you on the internet is a reflection of them, not you!"

You do realize that your board may not be able to output 150W through a PCIe slot intended for 75-80W?

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Just now, WhackingCheese said:

if ti were to actually pull that much power you'd hear a pop, see smoke, kill your card, motherboard and cpu at the same time. 

So whats the problem?

Just now, Adamzki said:

So whats the problem?

you need a higher tier motherboard to hold that GPU

1 minute ago, Adamzki said:

So whats the problem?

Heat?

"Try not to take things personally; what people say about you on the internet is a reflection of them, not you!"

1 minute ago, jeffjr said:

But, the thing is that it worked fine before

1 minute ago, Adamzki said:

But, the thing is that it worked fine before

Try a different PSU

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

RESET THE VOLTAGE  before you fry you card completely, that's not what it means by power limit.

Reinstall your GPU drivers completely and try it then.

Make sure both PCIe connectors are working, and plug them into the PSU with two separate cables if possible, don't use one cable with two connectors.

If the issue persists, test the card using only one of the two PCIe connectors plugged in. Test both of them. If the card doesn't work using one of them, the plugs might have been damaged.

“sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic still going to require driver rollbacks when it stops working for no reason“

Change the PCI-E slot back to 75w in the BIOS, and change the 6 pins to 100w each.  Setting PCI-E power to 150w is just asking for problems.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

3 minutes ago, Thorimus said:

RESET THE VOLTAGE  before you fry you card completely, that's not what it means by power limit.

Reinstall your GPU drivers completely and try it then.

Make sure both PCIe connectors are working, and plug them into the PSU with two separate cables if possible, don't use one cable with two connectors.

If the issue persists, test the card using only one of the two PCIe connectors plugged in. Test both of them. If the card doesn't work using one of them, the plugs might have been damaged.

3 minutes ago, Lays said:

Change the PCI-E slot back to 75w in the BIOS, and change the 6 pins to 100w each.  Setting PCI-E power to 150w is just asking for problems.

Thanks!

10 minutes ago, jeffjr said:

A PCIe slot is a PCIe slot, and that 75 Watt limit is part of the reference specification. Some boards may be more tolerant of running PCIe slots out of spec, but it shouldn't need to be run out of spec in the first place. You do not need a special motherboard for a Titan X, let alone a simple 970.

Also, hej från stockholm :D

“sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic still going to require driver rollbacks when it stops working for no reason“

OK, i now understand that the BIOS mod was stupid. Now I'm back on stock bios