How is gaming performance on a Windows emulator running on Linux?

TopWargamer

Windows 10 and I have a love hate relationship at the moment. Love the OS, but everyday or every other day it freezes. No not the traditional freeze, restart, and it fixes it. I can open up (some) applications, move my mouse around, and click the start button. What I can't do is minimize/close stuff, swap tabs, click the restart/shutdown button, etc. It's really freaking annoying, especially since only part of it is frozen and other parts are not. 

And here I am, thinking of switching to Linux, yet I need the game support, so I thought about running Windows 10 through an emulator on Linux whenever I needed to play any games that don't support Linux. I'm just not sure how the performance would be though. I know I'll take a performance hit, but how bad will it be? 

Quick specs for my computer: 3770k, 16GB RAM, GTX 1070

COMIC SANS

You should:

• Try doing factory reset from the settings menu
  • try installing the OS from fresh after a clean wipe.
  • If none of the above works, then only think of going to Linux.

Wine sucks in gaming performance. Your 1070 will perform worse than a 1060 and there is a good CPU overhead too. Using windows 10 in two of my devices with no issues whatsoever.

Home PC: i5 6402P | Kingston HyperX 8GBx2 | Gigabyte G1 gaming GTX 1060 | Kingston UV400 240GB | WD blue 1TB Gigabyte H110m-S2 Cooler Master B500 v2

Laptop: Lenovo Yoga 710(Kaby Lake)

Phone: Oneplus 3

Tablet: iPad air 2

2 minutes ago, Shubham Yadav said:

You should:

• Try doing factory reset from the settings menu
  • try installing the OS from fresh after a clean wipe.
  • If none of the above works, then only think of going to Linux.

Wine sucks in gaming performance. Your 1070 will perform worse than a 1060 and there is a good CPU overhead too. Using windows 10 in two of my devices with no issues whatsoever.

I'm not talking about WINE. I'm talking emulating Windows 10 through Virtual Box or something like that, on Linux, so that I can play any games that don't support. Any games that support Linux, I would play on Linux. Same goes for applications.

As for the clean install, I did that a couple weeks ago, and it did not help.

COMIC SANS

33 minutes ago, TopWargamer said:

Windows 10 and I have a love hate relationship at the moment. Love the OS, but everyday or every other day it freezes. No not the traditional freeze, restart, and it fixes it. I can open up (some) applications, move my mouse around, and click the start button. What I can't do is minimize/close stuff, swap tabs, click the restart/shutdown button, etc. It's really freaking annoying, especially since only part of it is frozen and other parts are not. 

And here I am, thinking of switching to Linux, yet I need the game support, so I thought about running Windows 10 through an emulator on Linux whenever I needed to play any games that don't support Linux. I'm just not sure how the performance would be though. I know I'll take a performance hit, but how bad will it be? 

Quick specs for my computer: 3770k, 16GB RAM, GTX 1070

Why not dual-boot?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Gaming on a VM is less than ideal as everyone knows, but there is a way to get an almost native gaming experience through a technique called GPU Passthrough (or PCI Passthrough).

It consists of giving the Virtual Machine the (almost complete) control of the GPU, having it connect "through" the host system.

I too have decided that the optimal setup for me is to have only Linux in my SSD instead of it dual booting and sharing with Windows. I will only make the full transition one I can get a Virtual Machine inside my Linux distro than can do GPU Passthrough. I haven't gotten it to work yet, but I am not yet defeated. I have tried with VMWare Workstation Pro, but it does not support it, KVM or QEMU supposedly do, but I have yet to go that route.

Anyway I have complied a ton of info on it so here you go:

http://www.se7ensins.com/forums/threads/how-to-setup-a-gaming-virtual-machine-with-gpu-passthrough-qemu-kvm-libvirt-and-vfio.1371980/

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/2z0evz/gpu_passthrough_or_how_to_play_any_game_at_near/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_IOMMU-supporting_hardware

https://bufferoverflow.io/gpu-passthrough/

I say pick one and go at it. But I want to ask you how experienced are you with Linux?

Edited by VicBar
Spell check

Personal Rig:

[UPGRADE]

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5900X    Mb: Gigabyte X570 Gaming X    RAM: 2x16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Pro    GPU: Gigabyte NVIDIA RTX 3070    Case: Corsair 400D    Storage: INTEL SSDSCKJW120H6 M.2 120GB    PSU: Antec 850W 80+ Gold    Display(s): GAOO, 现代e窗, Samsung 4K TV

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15    Operating System(s): Windows 10 / Arch Linux / Garuda

[OLD]

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 @ 3.2 GHz    Mb: Gigabyte Z170X-Gaming 3    RAM: 2x4GB DDR4 GSKILL RIPJAWS 4    GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960    Case: Aerocool PSG V2X Advance    Storage: INTEL SSDSCKJW120H6 M.2 120GB    PSU: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronce    Display(s): Samsung LS19B150

Cooling: Aerocool Shark White    Operating System(s): Windows 10 / Arch Linux / OpenSUSE

7 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Why not dual-boot?

It's less convenient, plus I was curious about emulated gaming performance.

COMIC SANS

8 minutes ago, VicBar said:

Gaming on a VM is less than ideal as everyone knows, but there is a way to get an almost native gaming experience through a technique called GPU Passthrough (or PCI Passthrough).

It consists of giving the Virtual Machine the (almost complete) control of the GPU, having it connect "through" the host system.

I too have decided that the optimal setup for me is to have only Linux in my SSD instead of it dual booting and sharing with Windows. I will only make the full transition one I can get a Virtual Machine inside my Linux distro than can do GPU Passthrough. I haven't gotten it to work yet, but I am not yet defeated. I have tried with VMWare Workstation Pro, but it does not support it, KVM or QEMU supposedly do, but I have yet to go that route.

Anyway I have complied a ton of info on it so here you go:

http://www.se7ensins.com/forums/threads/how-to-setup-a-gaming-virtual-machine-with-gpu-passthrough-qemu-kvm-libvirt-and-vfio.1371980/

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/2z0evz/gpu_passthrough_or_how_to_play_any_game_at_near/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_IOMMU-supporting_hardware

https://bufferoverflow.io/gpu-passthrough/

I say pick one and go at it. But I want to ask you how experienced are you with Linux?

Thanks for the info! I've used multiple Linux distros several times before in the past. I even run it on my laptop. I can do the basic things to survive on Linux, but I would love to learn the more in depth stuff.

COMIC SANS

3 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Have you tried running memtest86? Most weird unexplainable things are caused by faulty RAM

I have not, but I will definitely try that though. I would prefer to stay on Windows on my main computer, and if swapping out RAM fixes my issue, then so be it.

COMIC SANS

Just now, TopWargamer said:

I have not, but I will definitely try that though. I would prefer to stay on Windows on my main computer, and if swapping out RAM does that, then so be it.

Most RAM has a lifetime warranty. Which is good, because I had bad RAM. Twice.

Caused all sorts of nonsense and after 10 OS reinstalls on 10 different drives, someone told me to try memtest. Bingo.