Battery indicating charging but refusing to charge

Hi everyone, I'm new to the LTT forums but I'm not new to their videos. I'm also relatively new to posting on forums so if I've made a mistake somewhere or if you'd like to tell me the norms of a forum (specifically this one) please tell me!

So I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop, it's about two years old, and yesterday when I unplugged the computer, from "100% available", and web browsed for about 5 minutes the laptop shut off immediately without warning and the battery/charging light was blinking orange. I plugged the laptop back in and turned it on. It booted up and everything was fine (the battery indicated "6% available (plugged in, charging)") and I left it plugged in and I finished my work. However, after about a couple of hours the battery still indicated  "6% available (plugged in, charging)". The issue is that Windows 10 tells me it's charging when it really isn't. I looked up solutions online and here is what I've tried so far:

1. Leave it plugged in overnight (still "6% available (plugged in, charging)")

Early afternoon the battery indicated  "3% available (plugged in, charging)" and later in the night it  indicated "0% available (plugged in, charging)"

2. Disconnected the battery, cleaned the contacts, tried again

3. Disconnected the battery, unplugged all chords, pressed and held power button for 30 seconds (I guess to discharge the capacitors?)

4. Deleted the battery charging driver (that thing) in device manager, reinstalled it

At this point I'm thinking the battery is faulty but I just want to make sure since I've never really had this problem before and I don't want to drop about $75 on a new battery.

Also it may be important to note that I've had this laptop plugged in for about 3/4 or 2/3 of a year now. I don't move it around a lot but I'd still like the option to do so.

If you have any suggestions or explanations as to why this happened it would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by Supermarine
Made it easier to read

Dead battery. The fact that your Laptop is working at 0% battery does indicate the charger and the wires are fine.

15 hours ago, Supermarine said:

-SNIP-

Sounds very likely like a dead battery to me or to a lesser degree something happening to the charge circuit for the battery.

My guess as to why this occurred, probably one of the cells inside has either dropped way below the voltage limit and is not able to charge or just wasn't a very good cell and wore out prematurely.

Thanks for the responses guys.

Ahh okay I agree with you guys. I had a feeling the battery is dead. I'll order a new one.