Computer won't boot fresh Windows XP installation

I recently got a computer, its really old, it has a PCChips M925ALU v7.1 Motherboard and some 1.8 Ghz Pentium 4 processor.

I tried installing Windows XP SP3, I had to do the first part of the installation on another computer because this one won't let me boot from USB and I don't have an IDE CD/DVD Drive, but in this second part of the installation (when you get to boot for the very first time) it would just show a black screen with flashing "_".

I don't know what to do, I disconnected everything else that is not needed, it has 2 DDR 266 Mhz each 512 MB, I even tried using just 1, used the default BIOS configuration, nothing works.

And the most surprising about this is that a Windows 7 installation from another computer boots correctly (until a point, but I know why) :V

Help pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Well, i haven´t worked with XP in ages, but it might be because XP can´t adapt to the new hardware just like that, it needs drivers; the OS is looking for the mobo that you used to install it.

Just now, alanoide97 said:

Well, i haven´t worked with XP in ages, but it might be because XP can´t adapt to the new hardware just like that, it needs drivers; the OS is looking for the mobo that you used to install it.

Yeah I thought about that too, it may be that, but I have no idea how to do the first part of the installation from this computer if I can't use a disc nor USB, because I enabled USB legacy in the BIOS and it read the USB (I used WinSetupFromUSB) and after i choose to start the first part of the installation the same thing happens, a black screen with that flashing "_"

But the OS boots succesfully on the machine that you used to install it?

1 minute ago, alanoide97 said:

But the OS boots succesfully on the machine that you used to install it?

The first time I did the installation on that other computer I let it finish and yeah it booted, then I did the first part of the installation again and swapped the disk to the computer and tried to do the second part of the installation there but thats when I get the black screen

18 minutes ago, GhostxD said:

The first time I did the installation on that other computer I let it finish and yeah it booted, then I did the first part of the installation again and swapped the disk to the computer and tried to do the second part of the installation there but thats when I get the black screen

Ok, so the installation USB works fine, but have compatibility problems with the old rig. Maybe if you try different software to make it bootable. I use Rufus, and i can remember installing XP with it, but that was at least 5 years ago so i´m not sure that it would work the same now.

What about the hdd, is the SMART good?

1 minute ago, alanoide97 said:

Ok, so the installation USB works fine, but have compatibility problems with the old rig. Maybe if you try different software to make it bootable. I use Rufus, and i can remember installing XP with it, but that was at least 5 years ago so i´m not sure that it would work the same now.

What about the hdd, is the SMART good?

I tested it with CrystalDiskInfo, it says its good, no bad sectors nor anything.

I'll try that rufus and then reply my results after I'm done.

• 2 weeks later...

I did forgot to replay, sorry :P

Anyways, that rufus and various other programs like that one, didn't work.

They were recognized by the computer and I could boot from them, but after I did it, they would just hang on that black screen with the flashing _

But I did fix the problem, I just borrowed an IDE Optical Drive and installed Windows XP from the installation CD.

Anyways, Thanks :D

18 hours ago, GhostxD said:

I did forgot to replay, sorry :P

Anyways, that rufus and various other programs like that one, didn't work.

They were recognized by the computer and I could boot from them, but after I did it, they would just hang on that black screen with the flashing _

But I did fix the problem, I just borrowed an IDE Optical Drive and installed Windows XP from the installation CD.

Anyways, Thanks :D

Great, although I'm curious what the issue was, I'm glad you resolved your problem.