100% to 0% gpu usage whilst under gaming load

Aidos882
Go to solution Solved by XDroidie626,
Just now, Aidos882 said:

have tried rocket league as well as farming sim which is where i discovered the issue

Could be the games then, If you can try a more demanding game see if thats the case, if the issues dont follow through on something more demanding I would suggest reinstalling the two games

hi, my r9 390 has started having issues where the gpu usage is very erratic going from 100% to 0% during games. also the core clock wont get passed 500mhz like it is throtteling so hard. my temps are at like 60'C (my idle temps)
and uninstalling and reinstalling drivers didnt help.

hope you can help me! this is my second time posting about this issue

Have you used DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) to uninstall drivers and installed the latest 16.8.3 Hotfix driver?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

like 85 im not worried about it i live in a warm climate and 390s get that hot all the time.

The GPU fans arent filled with more dust than the dead sea of dead salt? Its not being suffocated by the computer?

Groomlake Authority

1 minute ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Have you used DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) to uninstall drivers and installed the latest 16.8.3 Hotfix driver?

yes i uninstalled with ddu

1 minute ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

The GPU fans arent filled with more dust than the dead sea of dead salt?

dust is not an issue in my computer i keep it clean

7 minutes ago, Aidos882 said:

hi, my r9 390 has started having issues where the gpu usage is very erratic going from 100% to 0% during games. also the core clock wont get passed 500mhz like it is throtteling so hard. my temps are at like 60'C (my idle temps)
and uninstalling and reinstalling drivers didnt help.

hope you can help me! this is my second time posting about this issue

get DDU and reinstall drivers.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

1 minute ago, SeanAngelo said:

get DDU and reinstall drivers.

i have already done this

8 minutes ago, lopj245 said:

60 idle is kinda hot, how hot does the card get under load?

85'C but it is not an issue for 300s I am in a hot climate and is deffiately not the issue

Just now, Aidos882 said:

i have already done this

Does it look like this?  

djw78z28volg.png

If you are using Afterburner, you have to enable unified GPU usage monitoring in settings>general

I would still worry about the 85'C temp, Although its a differently designed card my R9 290 doesnt hit that hot under load, although you havent stated the cooler design, so I will assume ref with them temps.

When under load and the usage drops I take it you take massive FPS drops?, if not I would suspect the software reporting the usage to you.

Have you tried software like Furmark to over stress the GPU, see if there is anything there?, Artifacts and tears? (Tearing could still be linked to monitor refresh though)

Have you overclocked the card? Maybe a bad OC if you have?

Have you observed any other erratic behaviour on your system? Crashes and Freezes?.

If you can put a fan towards the GPU (Like a desk fan) with the temp drop see if the usage still changes so much, if not could indicate thermal throttling.

Post back with any findings :)

What does an Transformer get? Life insurance or car insurance? - Russell Howard - Standup (Made me giggle a bit)

3 minutes ago, lopj245 said:

Does it look like this?  

djw78z28volg.png

yes quite similar

Capture.JPG

6 minutes ago, XDroidie626 said:

I would still worry about the 85'C temp, Although its a differently designed card my R9 290 doesnt hit that hot under load, although you havent stated the cooler design, so I will assume ref with them temps.

When under load and the usage drops I take it you take massive FPS drops?, if not I would suspect the software reporting the usage to you.

Have you tried software like Furmark to over stress the GPU, see if there is anything there?, Artifacts and tears? (Tearing could still be linked to monitor refresh though)

Have you overclocked the card? Maybe a bad OC if you have?

Have you observed any other erratic behaviour on your system? Crashes and Freezes?.

If you can put a fan towards the GPU (Like a desk fan) with the temp drop see if the usage still changes so much, if not could indicate thermal throttling.

Post back with any findings :)

i just used msi kombustor and heaven benchmark to stress test and that seamed to be fine however gaming it is still being erratic

30 minutes ago, lopj245 said:

Only if the fans are not spining... Mine doesn't start spining until i reach 60+...

i7 7700K @ 4.8 Ghz (Kraken x52 aio cooler)

EVGA GTX 980 SC

Gigabyte GA-Z270XP-SLI Motherboard

EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2 Power Suply

Phanteks Eclipse P400

Acer 144 hz monitor

30 minutes ago, lopj245 said:

At 60C it goes into tge 0db mode if you have the standard fan curve.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

Just now, SLAYR said:

At 60C it goes into tge 0db mode if you have the standard fan curve.

i use the automatic fan curve

7 minutes ago, Aidos882 said:

i just used msi kombustor and heaven benchmark to stress test and that seamed to be fine however gaming it is still being erratic

So does it does this in every game or just one, the GPU should be fine if everything is all good on stress testers, maybe possibly a bad install if its only affecting 1 game.

What does an Transformer get? Life insurance or car insurance? - Russell Howard - Standup (Made me giggle a bit)

2 minutes ago, XDroidie626 said:

So does it does this in every game or just one, the GPU should be fine if everything is all good on stress testers, maybe possibly a bad install if its only affecting 1 game.

have tried rocket league as well as farming sim which is where i discovered the issue

Just now, Aidos882 said:

Could be the games then, If you can try a more demanding game see if thats the case, if the issues dont follow through on something more demanding I would suggest reinstalling the two games