Who else is suffering from freezes after the anniversary update?

MarcoTexture

MS claims they have fixed it. (Source)

but I really don't wanna risk installing anniversary just to test it out.

OMEN 15T | 9750H+LM | RTX 2070 UV+OC | 1TB NVME & 1TB HDD | 144Hz GSync

The only issue I've had is the lockscreen deciding to lag. It happens around every 5th boot so I've learnt to live with it.

1 minute ago, MarcoTexture said:

It's been 100% stable for me from the start. B| 

I've installed it on both my laptops but random freeze issue forced me to roll back to 1511

I had a few random freezes and BSOD's finally culminating into a magical puff of smoke escaping from my new ROG Strix X99 motherboard. Those weren't caused by the OS though.

I got extremely frequent restarts due to windows update after the anniversary update, as it disabled the group policy which stops installing updates while the system is in use, the active hours bullshit couldn't be configured to be 24 hours, and the system kept restarting (sometimes even while I was in the middle of a game) to install some unnecessary update.

I can only afford to let my systems go down for 5-10 minutes once every week. Unexpected restarts with the anniversary update has resulted in quite a bit of data loss for me.

I went into group policy and completely disabled automatic updates, and the system has been much more stable since.

28 minutes ago, MarcoTexture said:

I've installed it on both my laptops but random freeze issue forced me to roll back to 1511

Not had a single BSOD on Anniversary Update since 14393.10

the latest version is 14393.82

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

7 hours ago, MarcoTexture said:

What does your crash log say is happening? In my case, it was the driver for my ethernet cable connection. I deactivated it since I use Wi-Fi. This had already happened to me when I switched to Windows 8 on my laptop, but then it came back when I installed 10 and the anniversary update. Everything booted fine, and then it would just freeze (no BSOD, no nothing).

So maybe you're experiencing something like that. Can you share a log? Try updating all of your components' drivers.

Mine doesn't crash at all. It would only freeze up for a period of time(few seconds to few minutes) and then it would continue what it was doing. I've noticed that the ssd activity in the freeze period spikes to 100%.

8 hours ago, MarcoTexture said:

I haven't had a single major problem and both my laptop and desktop have the anniversary update. There is one minor audio bug going on, but the solution was simple: Instead of turning my home theater receiver on before my computer, I have to wait until I am booted up and logged in before turning my receiver and TV on. 

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

28 minutes ago, MarcoTexture said:

Mine doesn't crash at all. It would only freeze up for a period of time(few seconds to few minutes) and then it would continue what it was doing. I've noticed that the ssd activity in the freeze period spikes to 100%.

Hmmm, I'm no expert, but I can think of a couple of things.

It might be your  power management configuration. Set it to High Performance and see if the problem is still there. If it isn't, you might want to check each one of your components' power usage, and check to see if one of them is power deprived in the configuration you usually use.
It might just also be a bad sector on the harddrive, or data that got corrupted during the update. Thought this would be weird if it happens on 2 different computers. Maybe try to reinstall it?
One other thing you can try, is Clean Boot, to troubleshoot if one of your startup processes/programs is the root cause. This could be the cause, especially if those freezing issues start not long after you boot up.

Well, from what I've read online. MS has acknowledged it. and it is happening to small number of people who have OS installed on an SSD and data stored on HDD. 

Im gonna try to re-install it on my secondary machine tonight and see if they've fixed the issue as they claim.

I had freezing/lockup issues before the update but i havent had any after the update. (Changed my gpu at the time of updating wich also might have fixed it because the last one was screwy and was replaced because i rma'd it)

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

So I've installed the anniversary update again and it seems that the freeze issue has gone.

Update: I've ran into same freeze problem once again. So yeah it seems that microsoft didn't fix it completely.

It is noticeably less notorious than before their patch update. but it is there :/

I've installed the update on three computers now. so we can safely assume it has nothing to do with my hardware configuration(all three have SSDs with secondary HDDs).

At this point I'm clueless. cause I've tried many pretty much every solution posted online from registry hacks to disabling services.. Could it be because am running transcend SSDs(different form factors) on all machines and that may has a compatibility issue with this version of Windows?

Update: I think I found the culprit here; it is the sata ahci controller driver. i had to install windows 8 driver because MS was providing an old 2006 driver.

I also did some register tweaks, they are well explained in details here.