GPU's for 4K monitors

Hey there. I am living in South Africa (Which is why such an easy question gets really complicated) and it's this simple. I wanna get a 4K monitor to wall mount but I also want to upgrade my GPU to something better than my 970. I know it's still a good card and that I should probably leave it but I was thinking if biting the bullet and going for a founders edition 1080. Now I am not an Nvidia fanboy but I still want to stick with Nvidia for this so I am not interested in AMD GPU's.

For 4K gaming, you need 2x GTX 1080 if you want to be able to run all games at max settings at 60fps.

Single GTX 1080 can't handle that. You would average on around 35-40fps at 4K with single card.

But you can always lower settings and get 60 fps at 4K. But it won't be maxed out and you won't be able to brag around being insane PC master race member :P

GTX 970 would give you maybe 15 fps on 4K at max settings lol

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

you WILL have to go down on high, or even more like Medium settings in 4k tho. 3.5gb Vram will bottleneck alot in 4k and higher settings.

But why would you buy a 1080 Founders? that is a piece of Crapshit.

It runs into Temperature target, and throttles. The Founders can NOT hold it's Boost Clock speed. And it gets loud.

Just buy a good Custom Cooler design, which is even much cheaper then the Fanboy edition, err sorry... Fail edition.. errr Founders.

For example, Palit Jetstream, Palit Gamerock, Gainward Phoenix, EVGA, etc.

Actually, i dont intend to max out settings, sorry for not mentioning it. i just wanna maintain Nvidia recommended settings that i have on my 970 in GTA online with more resolution. i wont max out settings because i tried to see the difference and its really not that differenct to what i am running. i am quite happy at running at less than max settings. and the main reason i wanna switch the Founder Edition (not the fail edition!!!) is becuase of aesthetics. i know i know its not a good buying decision but hear me out. it will go in my room that will have an aluminium and black styling (and i love my aluminium and black). but I am well aware that i will probably be running much hotter than what a custom cooler will have. thanks for the quick response though. its really helpful.

so to sum it up,  to maintain recommended Nvidia settings, for a GTX 970 (running 1080p), in game at 4K resolution, what GPU should i get?

Ill, be in the dont get a founders addition side. Mostly due to the face they cost 100$ more then the AIB. But in the end it is your money.

But as it was said before, if you dont need max graphics a Gtx 1080 should be able to play GTA V at 4k at about 60-70 Fps Source

15 minutes ago, Isvan said:

Ill, be in the dont get a founders addition side. Mostly due to the face they cost 100$ more then the AIB. But in the end it is your money.

But as it was said before, if you dont need max graphics a Gtx 1080 should be able to play GTA V at 4k at about 60-70 Fps Source

first of all, thank you for not being a dick. secondly, thank you for not blowing smoke up my ass. thirdly, thank you for actually givivng me some solid advice as to what to get. the settings the guy displayed for GTA at 4K are so close, they are negligible when in a gun fight between you and three other guys in GTA online as when you play at 1080p on a 970. thank you for also having a source of information for me to compare in game settings too and being an overall help. i will be getting a 1080 then, A SINGLE 1080, and keeping my GTA experience the same way it was all these months.

Now, is there a way i can give you a like or thumbs up on LTT forum because you deserve it. hell, i would give you a cookie if i could