What flavor of 1070 to buy?

TerraBys
Go to solution Solved by Killervolt,

Asus, MSI or EVGA are all valid options. I personally like the look of EVGA and MSI cards.

Hi, I'm new to the forum but a loyal member of Linus army since he shot his videos in garage, and it's time to upgrade my video card. So I have a budget for gtx 1070 but since my last gpu was reference card, I would like your opinion on witch after market card should I get. 

A little about me/my build I'ts minimalistic without side window so don't care about RGB, I love silence, I live in a hot country, I'm not and overclocking guy but I like high clock speeds out of the box.

Let's see your suggestions!  

Asus, MSI or EVGA are all valid options. I personally like the look of EVGA and MSI cards.

Budget?
I personally have the GTX 1070 Sea Hawk X by MSI/Corsair, though EVGA just came out with their Hybrid AIO liquid cooler too. Both are comparable in performance though. I love that fact that under full load (it's summer here) I'm pushing 40 celcius.

Case: Manta Mini ITX Black
CPU: I5-6600K
CPU: Cooler: Corsair H105
Ram: 16Gb (2x8Gb) 2133Mhz HyperX 
GPU: 1070 Sea Hawk X
Storage: 120Gb, 480Gb Intel SSD 
PSU: 650W EVGA Bronze

Peripheral: 144Hz VG248QE TN, 60Hz MX239H IPS, Bose Companion 5 2.1 TrueSpace, M65 Corsair 8200DPI, Razer Vespula Foam Wrist mouse pad, K70 Corsair Mechanical Red backlit, ATH-ADG1 AudioTechnica Open back, Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Closed back, DXracer Drift series

1 hour ago, PKValkyrie said:

Budget?
I personally have the GTX 1070 Sea Hawk X by MSI/Corsair, though EVGA just came out with their Hybrid AIO liquid cooler too. Both are comparable in performance though. I love that fact that under full load (it's summer here) I'm pushing 40 celcius.

oh wow 40 c under load that's impressive my reference card is running 75 under load with fan on 80%. But I want to go for air cooled card.  

The Asus Strix 1070 is a great card and if it is within your budget you should give it a look. If you plan to overclock you can pick up the OC edition for a bit more. The card runs quiet and has tons of power. Plus RGB's for days! xD

Maybe I am unlucky. But i purchased an Asus Strix 1080 OC , and it had coil whine. So i decided to buy another Strix 1080, this time the non OC edition, so i would have one while the other went in for RMA and i could just SLI them after. The new card has basically the exact same coil whine, though not as loud as the first card. I tested both cards with 2 different systems, and they still had coil whine.  Just letting you know incase you are considering the new Asus cards, there is clearly a coil whine issue that is not as isolated as I had hoped. 

I will say though that the coil whine isnt very loud. If you game with sound you wont hear it, its only really noticeable in absolute silence.

@TerraBys Depending on again your budget and if you plan on OC.

EVGA does offer variants of 1070 with a custom PCB with 8+8 Pin (do you plan to OC?). I've personally bought a STRIX 1070 OC for a friend and helped him install it. My opinion is that its a MASSIVE card in terms of length; might have to remove the drive cage. Otherwise it performs exactly like... any other 1070 due to "lower" thermals and better gpu boost.

Case: Manta Mini ITX Black
CPU: I5-6600K
CPU: Cooler: Corsair H105
Ram: 16Gb (2x8Gb) 2133Mhz HyperX 
GPU: 1070 Sea Hawk X
Storage: 120Gb, 480Gb Intel SSD 
PSU: 650W EVGA Bronze

Peripheral: 144Hz VG248QE TN, 60Hz MX239H IPS, Bose Companion 5 2.1 TrueSpace, M65 Corsair 8200DPI, Razer Vespula Foam Wrist mouse pad, K70 Corsair Mechanical Red backlit, ATH-ADG1 AudioTechnica Open back, Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro Closed back, DXracer Drift series

4 hours ago, PKValkyrie said:

@TerraBys Depending on again your budget and if you plan on OC.

EVGA does offer variants of 1070 with a custom PCB with 8+8 Pin (do you plan to OC?). I've personally bought a STRIX 1070 OC for a friend and helped him install it. My opinion is that its a MASSIVE card in terms of length; might have to remove the drive cage. Otherwise it performs exactly like... any other 1070 due to "lower" thermals and better gpu boost.

thx I'm not planing on overclocking not for now at-least and yeah I know that STRIX is long card, I'm already getting the general idea about the cards thank you all for help. 

Thank you all for the suggestions, and the winner is EVGA gtx 1070 SUPERCLOCKED and here is why... In the end it all boiled down to the fact that maximum performance difference you get is 0.5~1 fps across all cards, and cards that run coolest are spinning their fans faster. As for acoustics most of the open style fan cards are more silent then reference blower, and my rig is not near my ear so I don't need a super silent card. Conclusion, well basically my decision was based on what you guys wrote, polling some other people, and the build quality, and I must say EVGA have some great build quality, card does not feel cheap and plasticy.

Bought an EVGA 1070 FTW about a month ago. Very annoying coil whine. Looked up online and many other EVGA 1070 owners have similar issue... EVGA customer service is excellent though. 

On 9/12/2016 at 11:04 PM, W3tan said:

Bought an EVGA 1070 FTW about a month ago. Very annoying coil whine. Looked up online and many other EVGA 1070 owners have similar issue... EVGA customer service is excellent though. 

thx for the information mine is quiet for now :)