The R9 270 (aka HD 7870) has the following restriction:

A maximum of two monitors can be run with any combination of these:
VGA
DVI-I to VGA passive adapter
DVI
HDMI
DisplayPort to DVI passive adapter
DisplayPort to HDMI passive adapter

Any additional monitors beyond two must use DisplayPort, or a converter ("active adapter") from DisplayPort to VGA/DVI/HDMI.

Hey guys, so I'm having issues with my three monitor setup right now. I have an AMD R9 270 MSI edition.

I have two main monitors which I use all the time, Both are ASUS 21.5 inch monitors. One of them (my main one) is connected through HDMI. The other is connected through VGA with a vga to dvi adapter connected on the gfx card. I want to use my tv as a third monitor to duplicate my first when I feel like sitting down and playing something on the big screen. That is currently connected through a DVI to HDMI cord which has a DVI to display port adapter connected to the gfx card (This means it's using the dsp port from the gfx card to dvi, then theres a dvi to hdmi cable which connects to the TV). 

Recap:

Monitor 1 (HDMI cable)

Monitor 2 (VGA cable: VGA to DVI adapter)

TV (HDMI-DVI cable: DVI to Display port adapter)

I've read around and heard that I need an active adapter to use all 3 displays. I have no clue whether or not this dsp to dvi is active or not but I believe its the one that came with my gfx card this is it http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/122001300709?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true (It's very possible that this didn't come with my gfx card}

Here are screenshots of what I'm seeing.

055a946676.png

Display 1 is the TV

25c5f2a69e.png

And that's what I want to happen but...

dfc42f61da.png\

This pops up :'(

Any help is greatly appreciated

You have to have one display off displayport to have 3 displays, you can run a DVI/HDMI monitor off displayport but it requires an active adapter which cost about $30.

As long as you buy an adapter that calls itself an "Active Adapter" from a reputable source (Not ebay or Aliexpress) you should be fine.

5 minutes ago, Darknar the Black said:

TV (HDMI-DVI cable: DVI to Display port adapter)

Your gpu should have 2 dvi ports, connect the tv to that directly.
Also make sure that your gpu drivers are updated.

1 minute ago, Pesukarhu said:

AMD gpu's can only drive two displays outside of displayport connections (as in, DP monitor or active adapter)

Just now, manikyath said:

AMD gpu's can only drive two displays outside of displayport connections (as in, DP monitor or active adapter)

I have my 3 monitors connected to my r7 360 with hdmi, dvi->hdmi and dvi. You can run 3 without a displayport hub, and 6 with a displayport hub/daisy-chaining.

1 minute ago, Pesukarhu said:

I have my 3 monitors connected to my r7 360 with hdmi, dvi->hdmi and dvi. You can run 3 without a displayport hub, and 6 with a displayport hub/daisy-chaining.

could be they changed it with the 300 series, gigabyte also likes to be a special snowflake and implement hardware to work around said issue.

I know that Nvidia Control Panel has it's own set of options for cloning/extending screens; it might be worth seeing if CCC has similar options. It may well be that the screen settings for the GPU software largely mimic the Windows display settings, but I have certainly found the Nvidia equivalent offered a few more options (i.e. easily disabling the cloned screen when not needed - a TV in my case).

10 hours ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

You have to have one display off displayport to have 3 displays, you can run a DVI/HDMI monitor off displayport but it requires an active adapter which cost about $30.

As long as you buy an adapter that calls itself an "Active Adapter" from a reputable source (Not ebay or Aliexpress) you should be fine.

Well do you think I could just bust a displayport to hdmi cable? I'm sure this would be cheaper than buying a new adapter.

10 hours ago, Pesukarhu said:

I've tried that (and it does have two dvi ports) and that still doesn't work.

10 hours ago, Quinnbeast said:

I know that Nvidia Control Panel has it's own set of options for cloning/extending screens; it might be worth seeing if CCC has similar options. It may well be that the screen settings for the GPU software largely mimic the Windows display settings, but I have certainly found the Nvidia equivalent offered a few more options (i.e. easily disabling the cloned screen when not needed - a TV in my case).

Do you think it would work on my GPU, I'm assuming because it's nvidia it would just not work for my setup.

The R9 270 (aka HD 7870) has the following restriction:

A maximum of two monitors can be run with any combination of these:
VGA
DVI-I to VGA passive adapter
DVI
HDMI
DisplayPort to DVI passive adapter
DisplayPort to HDMI passive adapter

Any additional monitors beyond two must use DisplayPort, or a converter ("active adapter") from DisplayPort to VGA/DVI/HDMI.