Samsung Galaxy Note 7 Recall Thread

Badger906

Thought it would be a good a good idea to start a thread to see who has got where in terms of the replacement scheme. 

More info we can get the better picture we cant paint for everyone.

So far in the UK i was contacted by company i purchased my phone from (carphone warehouse) and they recommended i contacted the samsung support line. Instantly i was greeted with a automated response about putitng in a support ticket for a replacement note 7.

I did this, but i hate waiting, so i then rang back.. but after 30 mins of hold i gave up trying to speak to someone... ill give it till tuesday (being a weekend i doubt tickets are responded to) before i ring back and tryin and get somehting official.

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

5 minutes ago, Badger906 said:

Thought it would be a good a good idea to start a thread to see who has got where in terms of the replacement scheme. 

More info we can get the better picture we cant paint for everyone.

So far in the UK i was contacted by company i purchased my phone from (carphone warehouse) and they recommended i contacted the samsung support line. Instantly i was greeted with a automated response about putitng in a support ticket for a replacement note 7.

I did this, but i hate waiting, so i then rang back.. but after 30 mins of hold i gave up trying to speak to someone... ill give it till tuesday (being a weekend i doubt tickets are responded to) before i ring back and tryin and get somehting official.

in general, just wait. also, the  issue seems to be with the quick charging so you should just avoid that until you get contacted. also with all of the people calling up to get replacements I would not be surprised if you will have to wait for a week or more.

It's a pretty small issue. Something like 25 units in 1,000,000 are affected. I don't think it really requires it's own thread.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

8 minutes ago, dizmo said:

It's a pretty small issue. Something like 25 units in 1,000,000 are affected. I don't think it really requires it's own thread.

Actually, the recall itself involves every single Note 7 sold to date.  The actual phones that have caught fire are around 35, but it does affect every Note 7 owner since Samsung is highly encouraging that every one of them be swapped out for a new updated model.  

2 hours ago, done12many2 said:

Actually, the recall itself involves every single Note 7 sold to date.  The actual phones that have caught fire are around 35, but it does affect every Note 7 owner since Samsung is highly encouraging that every one of them be swapped out for a new updated model.  

Not quite true. The problem affects a minuscule amount of devices. While the recall is for them all, that's not exactly what was meant by what I said.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

2 hours ago, done12many2 said:

17 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Not quite true. The problem affects a minuscule amount of devices. While the recall is for them all, that's not exactly what was meant by what I said.

How is anything you just said any different than what I just said?  That's right, it's not.  If you look closely I said that it only 35 or so phones actually caught fire, which is a "miniscule amount of devices" when you consider the total sold so far. 

Your initial statement in this thread was that this due to that limited amount, the thread was not required.  I'm simply saying that the bigger picture is the amount of phones recalled, not how many caught fire.  Since all of them are recalled, which is a huge deal, the thread is very relevant. 

It's not really about how many caught fire. 

I got mine from carphone warehouse as well and received a text message:

Hi ........................., Samsung has advised Carphone Warehouse they are investigating a potential quality control issue with the Samsung Galaxy Note7, which you recently purchased. Should you have any concerns, Samsung is currently offering to voluntarily replace your device. To discuss your options, please contact Samsung Customer Service on 03307261000.

I also spoke to them, and they basically said that they will replace phones for the next month, after that if yours does catch fire, you can speak to Samsung at that point, although I'm not sure they'd do anything. 

I have been very happy with mine till now, and although battery will get me through my day about barely, I don;t know about swapping it out, I'll just get the same phone anyway, since there is basically nothing else I like right now, and would have to set it up again etc. which as simple as it is is kind of cumbersome. It doesn't seem to heat up so much when charging (even with quick charge!), but I would like to be able to disable quick charge for some added peace of mind when I am not in the room for a while or asleep...

Also, latest update really made my phone sluggish and I think battery may be affected as well, hope they fix it on the next update... 

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

"The tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations" Adam Smith

Take a look at my flickr?:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/150012948@N06/

it's 35 devices SO FAR.. batteries ordered in mass don't come in batches of 34.. more like 34,000. 

Samsung wouldn't don't a world wide recall damaging their name and costing them billions if it were such a small issue.. especially on the verge of apple releasing the iPhone 7.

i started this thread to help piece together what is know so far.. every news outlet is saying differently and Samsung have yet to respond in advice to what to do with phones now.. 

i shouldn't have to turn fast charge off and be suspicious while it's charging on a phone I just spent £700 on.. 

im hoping the situation in the UK is resolved fairly promptly because all of the major phone networks never shipped out the phones as the recall came before the release. 

only the ones who pre-ordered early like myself got them before the recall. so there shouldn't be too many around 

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

2 minutes ago, cc143 said:

Snip. 

im doing it just for piece of mind. they've offered a free replacment so I'll take it lol. 

it's just taken the shine off it for me a little. in fact I'm using my note 5 again just incase. that and I'll be less willing to part ways with it the longer I use it. 

I will 100% replace it with another note 7 though! 

3 minutes ago, Badger906 said:

it's 35 devices SO FAR.. batteries ordered in mass don't come in batches of 34.. more like 34,000. 

Samsung wouldn't don't a world wide recall damaging their name and costing them billions if it were such a small issue.. especially on the verge of apple releasing the iPhone 7.

i started this thread to help piece together what is know so far.. every news outlet is saying differently and Samsung have yet to respond in advice to what to do with phones now.. 

i shouldn't have to turn fast charge off and be suspicious while it's charging on a phone I just spent £700 on.. 

im hoping the situation in the UK is resolved fairly promptly because all of the major phone networks never shipped out the phones as the recall came before the release. 

only the ones who pre-ordered early like myself got them before the recall. so there shouldn't be too many around 

There were 2.5m phones or there abouts sold worldwide, and Samsung has just stopped selling. 

To be fair, in that subject pool, 35 devices looks like 0.00014%, and it could have to do with storage or transportation or climate, we are not sure if the entire factory's product is affected, and ususally, its a small number in a batch even so, yeah when you look at a batch of 35,000, the affected units wont be more than that anyhow. Regardless, I find its in Samsung's credit they have responded as they did. 

As far as quickcharge at night, I don't see the point anyway, we know it compromises the longevity of the battery and in the Long run, charging normally is best, so if you plugin for 5-6 hours at night it will be full in the morning and you will be preserving your battery better. Now if you have 30 minutes before you go out and want to get to 45%, then sure, I see the point. 

Mine's not even scuffed though, I got a protector and case on before I turned the damn thing on for the first time! I'm really not sure if its worth it, and the chances of anything becoming too hot in the literal sense in Glasgow are miniscule anyhow;Ρ, might have an issue If I go back home for the Summer though. 

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

5 hours ago, cc143 said:

There were 2.5m phones or there abouts sold worldwide, and Samsung has just stopped selling. 

To be fair, in that subject pool, 35 devices looks like 0.00014%, and it could have to do with storage or transportation or climate, we are not sure if the entire factory's product is affected, and ususally, its a small number in a batch even so, yeah when you look at a batch of 35,000, the affected units wont be more than that anyhow. Regardless, I find its in Samsung's credit they have responded as they did. 

As far as quickcharge at night, I don't see the point anyway, we know it compromises the longevity of the battery and in the Long run, charging normally is best, so if you plugin for 5-6 hours at night it will be full in the morning and you will be preserving your battery better. Now if you have 30 minutes before you go out and want to get to 45%, then sure, I see the point. 

Mine's not even scuffed though, I got a protector and case on before I turned the damn thing on for the first time! I'm really not sure if its worth it, and the chances of anything becoming too hot in the literal sense in Glasgow are miniscule anyhow;Ρ, might have an issue If I go back home for the Summer though. 

it cant be as simple as that though. samsung wouldnt do the first ever world wide recall of a mobile phone if it was such a small number effected.

the billions this will cost them, the damage to their name and the impending iphone 7 are all really really bad things for samsung, so if they could have avoided it im sure they would have.

and im fairly sure this will be a time sensitive thing. theyve issued the recall, if you dont send it and yours catches fire in say 6 months samsung might not be so willing to help the situation! yes i know warranty will be a thing, but theyre not exactly going to over night ship you a new one. youll end up waiting weeks while they get yours, inspect it and then ship out a new one.

Just now, Badger906 said:

it cant be as simple as that though. samsung wouldnt do the first ever world wide recall of a mobile phone if it was such a small number effected.

the billions this will cost them, the damage to their name and the impending iphone 7 are all really really bad things for samsung, so if they could have avoided it im sure they would have.

and im fairly sure this will be a time sensitive thing. theyve issued the recall, if you dont send it and yours catches fire in say 6 months samsung might not be so willing to help the situation! yes i know warranty will be a thing, but theyre not exactly going to over night ship you a new one. youll end up waiting weeks while they get yours, inspect it and then ship out a new one.

The note 7 was a great hit, I'm willing to bet it's the first note device to sell this well. Since this has indeed happened, obviously Samsung would prefer it didn't, however, their home run is going to be the S8, its their flagship so to speak. In order to balance out the bad news, they had to take drastic measures. Everyone and their grandmother was for some reason trying to fault the Note 7, this caught enough attention so that in order to balance it out their counter has to be drastic as well, so from a business/marketing standpoint, what they did, was right next to this not happening in the first place because it basically reinforces brand loyalty, so people who are on the s5/s6 and are looking to upgrade, who might have considered the new iphone, are not the target market for the note 7, they are now more likely for the S8 to come out. 

Obviously their responce to such claims won't be the same 2 months down the line, and the longer you wait, the more possible it is to get a scratch or dent that nullifies their warranty and you are left to dry.

If I'm sending mine back, it will be as late as possible under their scheme. 

I had my Note 7 for a week and loved it. I got a text from at&t (where I bought the phone) directing me to the samsung note 7 page. I took my phone back the next day and exchanged it for a s7 edge as a temporary till they got the notes back in stock. They even took back the case i bought and will let me switch it back when its back in stock. It was a fairly painless, albeit long, process but I really miss my note 7. It was enough for me to switch from ios to android.

Anyway that's just my experience. 

Luckily i still have my note 5 so ive gone back to that.

I actually managed to contact samsung yesterday, as i recieved an email from a ticket i sent regarding my "replacement or repair" .. yeah i wasnt having somone crack open a new phone and fiddle around inside.

Anyway i spoke to a guy and he took all my details and said they would collect the phone within the next week.

He then stated that as they dont really know how long it will take that i should probably expect to wait 2 to 3 weeks.

He also stated i will be entitled to a free gift of which hasnt been specified yet!

Now i know it will be like a £25 amazon voucher but im still hoping for a half price gear s3 frontier!! 

I charged mine last night and it did get much warmer than my note 5 even with fast charge turned off, so that was the nail in the coffin for me, factory formatted and put it back in the box

5 hours ago, Badger906 said:

Luckily i still have my note 5 so ive gone back to that.

I actually managed to contact samsung yesterday, as i recieved an email from a ticket i sent regarding my "replacement or repair" .. yeah i wasnt having somone crack open a new phone and fiddle around inside.

Anyway i spoke to a guy and he took all my details and said they would collect the phone within the next week.

He then stated that as they dont really know how long it will take that i should probably expect to wait 2 to 3 weeks.

He also stated i will be entitled to a free gift of which hasnt been specified yet!

Now i know it will be like a £25 amazon voucher but im still hoping for a half price gear s3 frontier!! 

I charged mine last night and it did get much warmer than my note 5 even with fast charge turned off, so that was the nail in the coffin for me, factory formatted and put it back in the box

I spoke to them today and they quoted me "a minimum of 3 weeks"!. 

I have to be honest, this has really pissed me off, that's practically a month. 

I really think the £25 amazon voucher won't cut it this time! 

I did notice it was warmer yesterday when on the charger on a 3rd party cable as well, I don't know, I guess I'll expect them to call me and see how I'll go from there, but I will be handing it in asap, its gonna be 2-3 weeks after I do, so I may as well get it over with. 

i just got a call from samsung, the uk exchange program will be carried out through the carrier/place of purchase and will start on the 19th September. 

Just now, Badger906 said:

i just got a call from samsung, the uk exchange program will be carried out through the carrier/place of purchase and will start on the 19th September. 

Thanks for sharing.  The same thing is happening here in the States although I didn't know the dates of actual replacements.  I'm taking mine by AT&T today or tomorrow to begin the process.  They are replacing accessories purchased for the Note 7 so I'm not too bent out of shape about my PERFECT screen protector anymore.  :D

I go the call yesterday, they really pissed me off, 5 minutes of data confirmation to tell me that the carrier is responsible and this would happen on the 19th and absolutely nothing else, they could have texted me for God's sake, there's no sensitive information there anyway! 

I don't get it, why not just ship us a new one and have send the old one back on a free mail address? They are just making things more complicated this way and that's gonna piss people off, especially if you have to wait for 2 weeks to get a replacement!

Having you keep the phones is idiotic, it just guarantees that more cases will surface, to a point where the press on it will be hell. 

I just got off the phone with a Samsung rep. They said that the note seven will be back to stock as soon as it's approved by the CPSC. Does anyone know how long it takes to make sure something won't blow up? 

15 hours ago, alexbianchi15 said:

I just got off the phone with a Samsung rep. They said that the note seven will be back to stock as soon as it's approved by the CPSC. Does anyone know how long it takes to make sure something won't blow up? 

Well, obvious answer #1 is to turn it off. Answer #2 is to turn off fast charging to limit how hot the device gets and how much amperage is pushed through the battery.  I also work at Sprint and I have heard  sometime next week (supposedly Wednesday) from my Tech Manager and even devices that are cracked will be taken in by samsung and replaced, so good news!

NZXT H440, Intel Core i7 6700k @ 4.5GHz (H90 AIO), MSI 780Ti, MSI Z170A Gaming M7, 16GB Corsair Venegance LP DDR4 @ 3000, Corsair RM750 PSU, Samsung 840 Pro (256GB) 2x WD Blue 1TB drives in RAID 1, 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB, 

I just returned my Note 7 to AT&T.  They gave me a few choices on what I could do.  

1.  Return the Note 7 for a full refund.

2.  Return the Note 7 and use a brand new temporary device until I decide what I want (revised Note 7 or maybe the new iPhone 7 Plus)

3.  Exchange the phone for whatever phone I wanted.

I ended up doing the temporary device and picked a S7.  They didn't ask me for the Note 7 box or any of the accessories back, so I got to keep all of the extras from my original Note 7, which will come in handy when and if I get the revised Note 7.  You can never have too many USB Type-C cables and adapters.

I told them that I have no intentions of buying a case or screen protector for the temporary S7 and he said that I'll be able to exchange it for the Note 7 regardless of condition as long as it's working.

I also returned my Note 7 screen protector for a full refund.

I thought that it was pretty impressive that AT&T was making this so easy, but the rep explained to me that Samsung is flipping the entire bill for this and making it as convenient as they can on Note 7 owners, so kudos Samsung!

On 10/09/2016 at 9:39 AM, cc143 said:

I go the call yesterday, they really pissed me off, 5 minutes of data confirmation to tell me that the carrier is responsible and this would happen on the 19th and absolutely nothing else, they could have texted me for God's sake, there's no sensitive information there anyway! 

I don't get it, why not just ship us a new one and have send the old one back on a free mail address? They are just making things more complicated this way and that's gonna piss people off, especially if you have to wait for 2 weeks to get a replacement!

Having you keep the phones is idiotic, it just guarantees that more cases will surface, to a point where the press on it will be hell. 

well in america samsung have basically said dont use the phone any more. i havent from the day i got it. that way im not attached to it so sending it back is easier.

I gave mine in yesterday, the process took an hour and 20 minutes or something!

They gave me an S6 and told me to go in on Monday. They also told me that If anything happens to the s6 I will be liable. 

At the point they told me my best bet is going to a big store as early as possible on Monday I flipped out! They are reserving one for me in the local store. 

I call bullshit on the easy on users part, this process was over complicated, I had to call them to tell me I had to take the phone in before the 19th when they are supposed to contact me. I got to keep the Note 7's accessories too at least. The process was very poor in general. I get that replacing 2.5mn phones is not gonna be easy but still! 

Btw the guy there told me that because they don't sell preowned devices, the brand new s6 they gave me would basically be wiped and scrapped on Monday! 

2 hours ago, cc143 said:

I gave mine in yesterday, the process took an hour and 20 minutes or something!

They gave me an S6 and told me to go in on Monday. They also told me that If anything happens to the s6 I will be liable. 

At the point they told me my best bet is going to a big store as early as possible on Monday I flipped out! They are reserving one for me in the local store. 

I call bullshit on the easy on users part, this process was over complicated, I had to call them to tell me I had to take the phone in before the 19th when they are supposed to contact me. I got to keep the Note 7's accessories too at least. The process was very poor in general. I get that replacing 2.5mn phones is not gonna be easy but still! 

Btw the guy there told me that because they don't sell preowned devices, the brand new s6 they gave me would basically be wiped and scrapped on Monday! 

I'll assume since you're calling "bullshit on the easy on the users part", that you were referring to my comment about AT&T making it easy.  Is AT&T your carrier?  If so, I'm surprised you're getting treated differently from AT&T than I did.

Either way, the process couldn't have been any easier for me.  Well, maybe they could have picked up my Note 7 from my house and left the S7 while they were here.  :D