21:9 1440p, or 16:9 1440p?

Mace ya face

I'm looking at a new monitor, as my four year old 1080p TV has got two dead pixel colours, and awful colour accuracy. I have an i5 4690K @ 4.6GHz and a GTX 1080, so 4K is a no still, so I'm going 1440p.

That said, I've seen a lot of love for ultrawides here, from Linus, and just around the web. They do look excellent for productivity, but performance worries me. I'm looking at keeping this GTX 1080 for ~3 years and I really don't want to drop £700-£1000, where it'll be good for a year, and 40FPS choppy crap for the last two, and the lack of 21:9 benchmarks for the GTX1080 isn't helping!

In short, can a GTX1080 drive a 21:9 1440p monitor for a decent amount of time, or is it better to get a 16:9 1440p?

Why yes gavner I am int-oo these 'ere comuter machines I am! Too British?

21:9 all the way. I have one and a gtx1080. im more than happy with both of them

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5 GhZ COOLER: Noctua NH-D14 GPU: Gainward GTX1080 GS MOBO: MSi Z170 Gaming M7 HDD: Samsung 950 Pro 512 GB PSU: Be quiet Power Zone 850W CASE: CoolerMaster Master Case 5 Pro DISPLAY: ASUS ROG PG348Q + LG 34UM95 + Samsung U28E850R + Samsung C24F396 SERVER: HP MicroServer G8 w/ HP P222 & 4x Seagate 8TB RAID5

What is the performance like? Is it good, or only just 60FPS?

I see your point, but resolution and performance don't always scale as expected. Look at the recent Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. Above 1080p, performance tanks harder than it should. It is an extreme case due to shoddy buffering, but a case non-the-less.

If you're looking for performance figures just google them. A lot of benchmarks have already been done with the GTX 1080 and 1070 for the 1440p resolution, both 2560x1440 and 3440x1440. Here's one for example: 

Good luck in your decision!

I think I'll be going 16:9. £600 GPU + £1000 monitor for 40-50FPS isn't worth it.

Depending on your budget, a 16:9 monitor is always the better choice if you want the best bang for your buck. The trouble with widescreen monitors is the lack of good low end monitors, you could buy a wide screen monitor only to experience ghosting and latency issues. For the same price, you could purchase a great 16:9 monitor with low latency and G-Sync for less than £500.