Monitors

svance76

was wondering, Is there anyway to take a laptop screen out of a laptop and use it as a monitor for a desktop. I play DCS (A10c) and am wanting to get 2 MFD's and make them fully functioning. I just didn't know if there was a way to make a laptop screen work and what it would take, wiring wise or if it was possible. Thanks

AMD FX 6300 Black Edition, ASRock 990FX Killer, 16GBs Memory @2133, 2 MSI R9 270x's in Crossfire, NZXT Kraken X41 Cooler, Samsung 850 pro SSD, 1 TB HDD, EVGA Supernova NEX 650 G, and with 4 other fans.

• 3 weeks later...

guess no one knows.

AMD FX 6300 Black Edition, ASRock 990FX Killer, 16GBs Memory @2133, 2 MSI R9 270x's in Crossfire, NZXT Kraken X41 Cooler, Samsung 850 pro SSD, 1 TB HDD, EVGA Supernova NEX 650 G, and with 4 other fans.

Well, from what I know, and I'm no expert when it comes to laptops, most of them use embedded displayport to send video signal from GPU to the screen. You'd have to figure out a way to take the screen off somehow without wrecking it, get to the cable (or more likely a ribbon cable), figure out the difference between DP and eDP, figure out which signal pin is which, ghetto solder it to the connector (most likely involving wrecking some DP cable and plug it in).

Dunno about the drivers, I suspect something between Hiroshima and D-day would happen.

Then there's the smaller issue of keeping the screen in place after detaching it from the laptop.

Than there's the question of size (laptop screen = small screen)

So unless you absolutely must use this configuration, don't mind destroying some equipment, know a thing or two about soldering and working with multimeter/have detailed technical documentation of every component involved and a shitload of time to burn, go right ahead.

Otherwise, just get a used screens off eBay or smth

"Never trust anyone and rely on your instincts" - If you know who said it, you're awesome