4670k bottlenecking woes

Go to solution Solved by Herman Mcpootis,

apparently, i5s will bottleneck gtx 1070 performance graphics cards at 1080p 144hz. i suggest you either spend money for an i7/xeon, or overclock as much as you can and cross your fingers.

Hey-a

I have recently take notice on my CPU with the recent GPU I made. So the source of my worries is the lower FPS i'm getting at Witcher 3 when comparing to my friends build which is also running identical GPU, but the CPU in question is i7-3770K.

Game is set on Ultra

I average about 60-85Fps, dropping to 50's in most demanding area of the game. CPU usage 100% almost the whole time

He gets around 100Fps, never dropping under 60fps. CPU usage 60%-80%

Also, when testing around with Battlefield 1 Beta (I know, not something I should put too much trust into), I get drops to around 45fps now and then. Rest of the time 70-90fps (100+ if looking at a desert) Also 100% usage the whole time. 

Is such high CPU usage normal?

Going forwards, is the time of i5's as "good enuff" for gaming over? 

Valley benchmark

Userbenchmark

---

Asus Z87-K

EVGA GeForce GTX 1070

Intel i5-4670K 3.40GHz (4.2Ghz OC)

(CPU cooler which name I do not remember)

HyperX Savage DDR3 1600 C9 2x4GB

Samsung 850 EVO 240Gb SSD

Windows 10 64bit

Western Digital Blue 1TB

HDD Seasonic S12 II 520W BRONZE

apparently, i5s will bottleneck gtx 1070 performance graphics cards at 1080p 144hz. i suggest you either spend money for an i7/xeon, or overclock as much as you can and cross your fingers.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

16 minutes ago, herman mcpootis said:

Interesting.

For ages people have shouted around the idea that i7's offer little to none gaming advantage, which seems to be very false nowdays. ofc we are talking about very high end gaming here with very high frames, the epitome of first world problems.

My CPU being at 4.2Ghz with decent temps, around 60-70C when under 100% load I doubt that I will kick it any higher.

8 minutes ago, Jaska95 said:

Interesting.

For ages people have shouted around the idea that i7's offer little to none gaming advantage, which seems to be very false nowdays. ofc we are talking about very high end gaming here with very high frames, the epitome of first world problems.

My CPU being at 4.2Ghz with decent temps, around 60-70C when under 100% load I doubt that I will kick it any higher.

i know right? and whenever we try to tell others that an i5 isn't enough, they go scream "INCORRECT" without caring about any evidence we show to them :dry:. this is why i started recommending i7s instead of i5 6600Ks in builds with gtx 1070s.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

Yeah gpu´s have finaly come to a performance level that for the highestend cards like the GTX1070 and GTX1080 an i7 will be a benefit.

But also the games have become more demending aswell.

We see more and more AAA games now days scaling pretty well upto 8 threads.