Bad Wi-Fi connection

Irodo_BSMD

So. I have my computer with a cheap wifi card connected to an expensive range extender connected to an isp router. My router gets 16mbps standing next to it, my range extender is saying its too close to the router (but i cant move it any further without it losing connection) and gets around 10mbps. upstairs in my room connected to the range extender i get around 8mbps on my phone and 5 on my pc. how can i improve the connection on my pc? do i get a better wifi card, antenna or router or what else? its killing me lmao

Thanks <3

edit: no i cant use ethernet - strict parents lmao

If you can get a better wifi card, antenna or router, then how in the heck cant you get an Ethernet Cable!? :l

Groomlake Authority

A new wifi card will probably help, if your current one doesn't have 802.11ac then definitely upgrade because I went from n to ac and it's pretty good.  But as usual the farther away you get the lower the signal will be so I think you're stuck until you can convince the parents to put in some ethernet cables and get that good stuff flowing.

i5 12600k | ASRock Z690M-ITX 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA 2080 Super Black | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB + 980 1TB | Corsair RMx 650W | Thermaltake Tower 100 White

Just now, VerticalDiscussions said:

If you can get a better wifi card, antenna or router, then how in the heck cant you get an Ethernet Cable!? :l

it'd either be drilling holes everywhere or having a messy cable going up a spiral staircase. It's my money i saved up :)

1 minute ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

Well the only way to get ethernet into my room at my house would to go up the siding and in through the window and the cable wouldn't survive the outdoors.  And my parents don't want to cut holes or drill holes into the wall to put in connectors and wire everything.

i5 12600k | ASRock Z690M-ITX 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA 2080 Super Black | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB + 980 1TB | Corsair RMx 650W | Thermaltake Tower 100 White

Just now, Gamessys said:

-snip-

Wow, so you would need a STP like Ethernet Cable to survive the outside!? Get some optic fiber wrapped in an aluminium mesh and a steel pipe to your room.

Groomlake Authority

Just now, VerticalDiscussions said:

Wow, so you would need a STP like Ethernet Cable to survive the outside!? Get some optic fiber wrapped in an aluminium mesh and a steel pipe to your room.

Idk what STP is but I am not putting fiber optics through a steel cable up the side of my house just for betters speeds when mine are already decent.

17 minutes ago, Gamessys said:

A new wifi card will probably help, if your current one doesn't have 802.11ac then definitely upgrade because I went from n to ac and it's pretty good.  But as usual the farther away you get the lower the signal will be so I think you're stuck until you can convince the parents to put in some ethernet cables and get that good stuff flowing.

Won't I need an AC range extender?

1 minute ago, Irodo_BSMD said:

Won't I need an AC range extender?

The range extender you are already using should be fine.

@Irodo_BSMD do you have any Coax ran to your room? If so, look in to Moca. It will allow a wired connection by using Coax. Not as fast as Ethernet but more reliable then Wireless. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Well, I dunno of this 'expensive' range extender you talk about, but there isn't a range extender that I haven't thrown in the bin yet.

That 10Mbs, 8Mbs, 5Mbs while doing a speedtest is probably alot less when you're actually 'using the internet' why? Back and Forth communication over that extender, wich it can't handle. I wrote this once: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/553102-do-not-use-wifi-extenders/

BTW. When I do WiFi heatmapping, I don't accept less then 20Mbs in every corner of the house. Is there a better ISP in your area?

Grtz!

Have you tried looking into powerline adapters? They tend to be a little pricey, but as long as you don't have insanely fast internet you shouldn't see much if any bottlenecking.

Spoiler

Main rig specs: i5-6500 (3.2 GHz), Cryorig H5 Universal, EVGA GTX 970 FTW+, 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 (2133MHz), Asus Z170i Pro Gaming, Samsung 950 PRO 256GB, Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX, LG 3440x1440 Ultrawide.