Do NOT use WiFi extenders!

Belgiangurista

... And throw them away in the garbage now!

Hey all,

I've recently joined the LTT forums after lurking on Youtube for about ... 4 or 5 years now. That's when I started as an ISP install technician. For the past year, I have been working for the same ISP, as a repair technician. I love my job and have a never ending curiousity on how technology works. That's why I took my time to explain something I encounter in the field almost daily and something I got so sick and tired of hearing: 

COMPLAINT#1: WiFi. 

- Why doesn't it reach to my childrens' bedroom on the 2nd floor?

>> Well sir, did you not find the dial on your Wireless modem? xD

All WiFi power output is regulated, 100mWatt (2.4GHz) and 1Watt (5GHz) is the max output in Europe. 

Technology advances, different WiFi versions have certain advantages over the older ones. For example WiFi ac has the ability to 'beamform' and track your device around the house. Ok, you'll gain 2 meters of coverage. 9_9

- Ok.. So I need an Extender. I bought one, but the WiFi still sucks?

>> Well sir, you've bought the wrong product.

Its intentions are good: extend and repeat the WiFi signal to get more coverage. You buy it cheap and put it into the plug between the main wireless AP (access point) and you.

You found a free plug ideal to repeat the signal!

Remember in order to repeat the WiFi, you have to receive the WiFi. That thick concrete floor is still going to block the signal. And OMG: Isolation!! These days they put aluminium inside interior walls, WTF!!! WiFi and heat are radiation, it all gets bounced back...

The quality of the Extender doesn't matter!

You went ahead and bought the 'Devolo' or 'Belkin' or 'TP-Link'. The well known brands are better at repeating the signal, you'd think? Mmmaybe. I'm sure some smart people develop these things. You also get them in ac WiFi versions...

- BUT WHY DO THEY SUCK SO MUCH THEN?

>> They work like a meeting being held with Walkie-Talkies and the people at the meeing are only allowed to speak to the chairman.

The WiFi extender can only do one thing at a time: RECEIVE then TRANSMIT then RECEIVE the acknowledgement (like 'roger!') then TRANSMITS to the AP the air is clear to send another message (like 'over!').

So first off, you lose out alot of the internet speed because it has to receive WiFi, it then loses alot of the speed because it serves you WiFi in an area where the reception wasn't all that great to start with. 

The 4 'ticks' causes delays and gives you the perception of slow internet.

When you bring a second client into the extenders' network, and they both want quality internet here's what happens:

AP >> Ext >> Client1 >> Client1 ack (roger!) >> Ext (over!)  >> AP >> AP >> Ext >> Client2 (roger!) >> Ext (over!) >> AP

MIMO (multiple input, multiple output)? forget it!

UGH >:(

Ever wondered why those devices are so small and light compared to an AP or Router? Where do you think all that nifty technology hides?

Antennas? (there's usually one, a tiny one. compare that to any AP or router with 2x2, 3x3, ...)

- Right mr Verizon (lol, no) what do I use for coverage then?

- Ideally an ethernet cable plus an AP somewhere on the other side/floor of the house where you get bad reception. But not everyone has ethernet cables and usually has wives allergic to cables. xD

- Homeplugs + AP would be your second best option, when you have good electric wiring.  

The homeplugs come in versions: from 'AV' (does the job) to 'G.hn' (much better) 'AV2' (even better) but have their price. They're able to give you a stable internet connection through the electrical plugs of your house. (they've come alooooong way, the technology behind it is amazing and maybe i'll do another post about them.)

tl:dr

WiFi extenders are crap. they receive WiFi to send WiFi, the antenna's in them suck and multiple devices at once get bottlenecked by its capabilities.

Linus, you can use any of the content here, you have my consent.

English is not my mothertongue. forgive the grammar/spelling mistakes.

Extenders generally cut the speed in half. A wired repeater/AP with transparency is the way to go.

Follow me on Twitch! - Twitch.TV/PedenPants

Gaming Rig

Core i7-6800k @ 4.0 GHZ | 16 GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | WD Black NVMe 256 GB | WD Blue 1 TB | Acer 24" 144 HZ XFA240 | ASUS STRIX GTX 1070 8 GB

Streaming Rig - Dell Inspiron i7559

15.6" 1920x1080 | Intel Core i5-6300HQ @ 3.2GHZ | 16 GB DDR3-12800 | 256 GB SSD | Nvidia GTX 960M 4GB

woah, Europe is limited to 100 mW?  I wonder what it is here... honestly I've never looked, but the sticker on the router claims that it draws 2 W so that power is going somewhere... maybe not into transmission but it has to be something. o.O

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

5 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

woah, Europe is limited to 100 mW?  I wonder what it is here... honestly I've never looked, but the sticker on the router claims that it draws 2 W so that power is going somewhere... maybe not into transmission but it has to be something. o.O

well, that's for the 2.4GHz band, US is limited to 200mW i believe.

Higher frequencies impair more, so 5GHz is limited to around 1Watt in Europe.

Asus actually got close to have a lawsuit by competitor brands for outputting more then 100mW on their ac66u (iirc), a firmware update fixed everything magically... :)

1 minute ago, Belgiangurista said:

well, that's for the 2.4GHz band, US is limited to 200mW i believe.

Higher frequencies impair more, so 5GHz is limited to around 1Watt in Europe.

Asus actually got close to have a lawsuit by competitor brands for outputting more then 100mW on their ac66u (iirc), a firmware update fixed everything magically... :)

Interesting... that suggests that a firmware "update" could also drastically improve range and signal... :ph34r:

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Interesting... that suggests that a firmware "update" could also drastically improve range and signal... :ph34r:

Keep in mind some router's thermal design only allows for a certain radio power. I am pushing at least twice as much power out of my router as the original config after I added some cooling to it (not my AP, the router is for "dumb" devices with no option to add a hidden SSID, still doesn't manage half the speeds of my AP)

Just now, iamdarkyoshi said:

Keep in mind some router's thermal design only allows for a certain radio power. I am pushing at least twice as much power out of my router as the original config after I added some cooling to it (not my AP, the router is for "dumb" devices with no option to add a hidden SSID, still doesn't manage half the speeds of my AP)

@LinusTech Do I hear a hacked liquid cooled range boosted router video coming soon? :P

Just now, iamdarkyoshi said:

Actually all it needed was a small fan from an 8400 GT

Then you didn't crank it up enough :D

18 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Find used enterprise grade APs for cheap. Damn amazing, I can get over 30mb/s speeds in the driveway with ONE AP being used in the entire property

Yep. They only transmit what is regulated to. With one difference: the WiFi signal shape of your private wifi is an like an apple. That of enterprise grade APs is a long stretched elipse. Speeds go down but coverage goes up.

Edited by Belgiangurista

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Then you didn't crank it up enough :D

I would OC the shit out of the CPU if they didnt freaking lock the clock speed.

2 minutes ago, Belgiangurista said:

Yep. The only transmit what is regulated to. With one difference: the WiFi signal shape of your private wifi is an like an apple. That of enterprise grade APs os a long stretched elipse. Speeds go down bit coverage goes up.

Yet the speeds on my enterprise AP (which is only like a 300mbit AP) kill the speeds on my router, which is several years newer (but it is consumer crap)

37 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

probably heat most of it coming from loss in cables / power supply

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

I used to administrate the wifi network of the computer club of my school during my studies. We got 6-7 APs and routers, all runing under DD-WRT, with this soft we could increase the emission power beyond the authorised one (the EU one). The range of the APs were amazing whereas it was old stuff.

At home I use the home plug + AP technique to extend wifi. Easy to set-up but transform the home into a big antenna :-/

We use Ubiquiti Networks' UniFi AP at my place of work - both in the office and when we install networks. They work really well.

Gaming Rig

Core i7-6800k @ 4.0 GHZ | 16 GB Corsair DDR4-3000 | WD Black NVMe 256 GB | WD Blue 1 TB | Acer 24" 144 HZ XFA240 | ASUS STRIX GTX 1070 8 GB

15.6" 1920x1080 | Intel Core i5-6300HQ @ 3.2GHZ | 16 GB DDR3-12800 | 256 GB SSD | Nvidia GTX 960M 4GB

1 minute ago, Tearitup said:

We use Ubiquiti Networks' UniFi AP at my place of work - both in the office and when we install networks. They work really well.

Yea!!  I don't suppose they selected them based on this: ? :)

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

Yea!!  I don't suppose they selected them based on this: ? :)

Nope - I haven't seen that video before and my boss doesn't even know of Linus (shame! lol) but it is no surprise. They are great APs.

Gaming Rig

I've bought multiple different repeaters/extenders and even added more routers to expand my wireless in my house with no luck. The final fix that worked 100% right out of the box were the Ubiquiti UniFi APs. I got two that go into the wall and replace the RJ-45 outlets I already had, then I put them on opposite sides of the house and disabled the WIFI on my router, and now I have coverage in every corner of my house and all of my backyard.

Link: https://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap-wall/

-KuJoe

5 hours ago, Nathat23 said:

Powerline to a Access Point is the way to go imo

Only useful if the power in the premises is not on shared infrastructure like in units/apartments where the signal will have a lot of competition...

Spartan 1.0

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120XL 86.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Extreme ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Dominator 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: OCZ Vector Series 512GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Classified ACX 2.0 Video Card
Case: Thermaltake Urban S41 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair 1200W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: LG BH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Optical Drive: LG BH10LS30 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Sound Card: Creative Labs ZXR 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card
Monitor: 2x Asus VG278HE 27.0" 144Hz Monitor
Keyboard: Logitech G19s Wired Gaming Keyboard
Keyboard: Razer Orbweaver Elite Mechanical Gaming Keypad Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech G700s Wireless Laser Mouse
Headphones: Creative Labs EVO ZxR 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Creative Labs GigaWorks T40 Series II 32W 2ch Speakers

Hades 1.0

Spoiler