CPU to match GTX 1070

Go to solution Solved by Heavygun1450,
Just now, Littlelaner said:

Ok, thanks for the input.. Will start saving for 6700k and hope that cyber monday is kind to me. To be clear, is the 6700k the best i7 for me at the time?

I mean you could get the 6600k if your struggling in your budget, but if you really want to balance out your PC I would get the 6700k. If your trying to hit 144hz the 6600k will limit you to around 80fps when the 6700k could give you 120hz, etc. 6700k will be more future proof and be great for things very cpu intensive like streaming and video editing.

I recently bought the new GTX 1070 and my current system will bottleneck the heck out of it. I'm wondering which CPU would be the best upgrade on a budget for my system. I don't have a set budget, but the less I have to spend, the better. I have read a i5 6500 would not bottleneck the GPU, but that was not from a credible source so who knows. Anyways, I am asking you guys to tell me which cpu would be the best companion for my new graphics card without breaking the bank.

6500 or if possible 6600K

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

in most games the 6500 or 6600k won't bottleneck. but to be on the safe side go with an i7 if your budget allows it. 

3 minutes ago, Technicolors said:

in most games the 6500 or 6600k won't bottleneck. but to be on the safe side go with an i7 if your budget allows it. 

Are any games out there currently taking advantage of all of the cores in the 6700k? 

Are any games out there currently taking advantage of all of the cores in the 6700k? 

They all have 4 cores... The 6700K has hyper threading and 8 thread compared to no hyper threading and 4 threads. I recommend the 6700k.

[CPU: 4.3 GHZ I5-4670K] [MB: Gigabyte Z87-D3H] [RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1833 MHZ (8GB)]

[GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1070] [PSU: Corsair CX-750] [Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo]
[Storage: 2TB 7200RPM HDD / 500GB Samsung 850 EVO ] [Case: ThermalTake Chaser-MK 1]

[Keyboard:Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX] [Mouse: Razer DeathAdder] [Monitor: 2 x ASUS 24 INCH IPS (1440p Soon)]

1 minute ago, Littlelaner said:

games like gta 5, crysis 3, total war, cities skylines... those sorts of games can take advantage of threads. it's also a bit more relevant for +60fps gaming. 

you'll still be okay if you get an i5 and stick with 60fps

Just now, Technicolors said:

games like gta 5, crysis 3, total war, cities skylines... those sorts of games can take advantage of threads. it's also a bit more relevant for +60fps gaming. 

you'll still be okay if you get an i5 and stick with 60fps

4 minutes ago, Heavygun1450 said:

They all have 4 cores... The 6700K has hyper threading and 8 thread compared to no hyper threading and 4 threads. I recommend the 6700k.

Ok, thanks for the input.. Will start saving for 6700k and hope that cyber monday is kind to me. To be clear, is the 6700k the best i7 for me at the time?

I mean you could get the 6600k if your struggling in your budget, but if you really want to balance out your PC I would get the 6700k. If your trying to hit 144hz the 6600k will limit you to around 80fps when the 6700k could give you 120hz, etc. 6700k will be more future proof and be great for things very cpu intensive like streaming and video editing.

[CPU: 4.3 GHZ I5-4670K] [MB: Gigabyte Z87-D3H] [RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1833 MHZ (8GB)]

[GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1070] [PSU: Corsair CX-750] [Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo]
[Storage: 2TB 7200RPM HDD / 500GB Samsung 850 EVO ] [Case: ThermalTake Chaser-MK 1]

[Keyboard:Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX] [Mouse: Razer DeathAdder] [Monitor: 2 x ASUS 24 INCH IPS (1440p Soon)]

2 minutes ago, Littlelaner said:

yep