KDE Connect 1.0 announced

kde-connect-for-android.png

Are you a linux user? do you want to reply to your phone's text messages without sacrificing your privacy? well good news for you pal, cause that's just what KDE COnnect is supposed to do!

KDE Connect has finally reached it's first stable release and it's more feature packed than ever. Version 1.0 brings:

• Trigger custom commands from your phone: the ability to launch specific commands from your android device to your PC
  • Reply SMS messages from your desktop: pretty much self-explanatory
  • Receive desktop notifications on your phone: again self explanatory
  • TLS encryption: i'll just quote them for this one

Thanks to the Google Summer of Code project of Vineet Garg, KDE Connect now uses TLS sockets instead of RSA private-key encryption. This is not only safer against replay and man-in-the-middle attacks, but also faster and less battery-consuming to compute on your devices. Like SSH, we do trust-on-first-use (or TOFU, which sounds funnier) of the device certificate, and we have added a command line option to allow you to check the certificate fingerprints match on both ends.

The app is already available on the Play-Store and F-Droid, for the desktop if you're DE is KDE check for updates.

If you're on Ubuntu 16.10: https://launchpad.net/~clivejo/+archive/ubuntu/yakkety/+packages

If you're on 16.04, sorry but a PPA for it hasn't been made available yet, tough installing Plasma 5 should give it to you (haven't tested for it myself, just speculating) but it will mean dropping your current DE for KDE.

If you want to compile it yourself here's the source code: http://download.kde.org/stable/kdeconnect/1.0/src/kdeconnect-kde-1.0.tar.xz.mirrorlist

source: https://albertvaka.wordpress.com/2016/08/26/kde-connect-1-0-is-here/

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Poor iOS and Windows user 

4 minutes ago, dexxterlab97 said:

Poor iOS and Windows user 

Windows 10 has BASH in beta so if you install an x server, you can use it. 

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

Just now, DeadEyePsycho said:

Windows 10 has BASH in beta so if you install an x server, you can use it. 

I mean Windows phone user

3 minutes ago, dexxterlab97 said:

I mean Windows phone user

Ahh

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

That's neat but other than the encryption doesn't seems all that impressive: Chrome has done that shit for a while now.

-------

Current Rig

-------

5 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

That's neat but other than the encryption doesn't seems all that impressive: Chrome has done that shit for a while now.

Chrome lets you send SMS from your desktop, and send commands to your PC from your phone? 

8 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

kde-connect-for-android.png

Are you a linux user? do you want to reply to your phone's text messages without sacrificing your privacy? well good news for you pal, cause that's just what KDE COnnect is supposed to do!

KDE Connect has finally reached it's first stable release and it's more feature packed than ever. Version 1.0 brings:

• Trigger custom commands from your phone: the ability to launch specific commands from your android device to your PC
  • Reply SMS messages from your desktop: pretty much self-explanatory
  • Receive desktop notifications on your phone: again self explanatory
  • TLS encryption: i'll just quote them for this one

The app is already available on the Play-Store and F-Droid, for the desktop if you're DE is KDE check for updates.

If you're on Ubuntu 16.10: https://launchpad.net/~clivejo/+archive/ubuntu/yakkety/+packages

If you're on 16.04, sorry but a PPA for it hasn't been made available yet, tough installing Plasma 5 should give it to you (haven't tested for it myself, just speculating) but it will mean dropping your current DE for KDE.

If you want to compile it yourself here's the source code: http://download.kde.org/stable/kdeconnect/1.0/src/kdeconnect-kde-1.0.tar.xz.mirrorlist

source: https://albertvaka.wordpress.com/2016/08/26/kde-connect-1-0-is-here/

Why does this assume that all Linux users use Android?

I don't use Linux often but If I did then I'd be very disappointed.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Which of the devices is the host? I'm assuming the computer, as it'd drain a lot of battery from your phone otherwise...

Why do people want to respond to SMS messages using their PC so badly? Can't you just tell them to switch over to emailing instead? ...

44 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Why does this assume that all Linux users use Android?

I don't use Linux often but If I did then I'd be very disappointed.

good thing it's open source, you could very well port both apps to Windows if you feel up to the task. Also as someone mentioned above you could theoretically run it on Windows now that you have the bash 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

8 hours ago, Misanthrope said:

are you talking about extension like Pushbullet? cause that sometimes works and sometimes doesn't, not all notifications get sent (personal experience, using it right now on both FF and Opera). 

1 hour ago, suicidalfranco said:

are you talking about extension like Pushbullet? cause that sometimes works and sometimes doesn't, not all notifications get sent (personal experience, using it right now on both FF and Opera). 

Project Fi hangout integration works 100% of the time and does not require a tethered phone, or a special app on the phone.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

3 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

Project Fi hangout integration works 100% of the time and does not require a tethered phone, or a special app on the phone.

and project Fi is not global soooo...

Just now, suicidalfranco said:

and project Fi is not global soooo...

what phone service provider is global?

but that implementation is a service level which is really nice.

Just now, The Benjamins said:

what phone service provider is global?

but that implementation is a service level which is really nice.

well, here with just one app you get your notifications across your phone and desktop regardless of where you leave. With project FI you must first live in the US then have a Fi number. Who's the better solution between the two? i'll lean toward the app thank you very much 

Just now, suicidalfranco said:

well, here with just one app you get your notifications across your phone and desktop regardless of where you leave. With project FI you must first live in the US then have a Fi number. Who's the better solution between the two? i'll lean toward the app thank you very much 

I think Phone service provide level implementation is better, it is just AT&T, Verizon, Virgin, etc, do not have that feature. does the app work when the phone is off, broken, or lost?

Just now, The Benjamins said:

I think Phone service provide level implementation is better, it is just AT&T, Verizon, Virgin, etc, do not have that feature. does the app work when the phone is off, broken, or lost?

No. Does it work when you don't live in the US and use Vodafone?

3 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

No. Does it work when you don't live in the US and use Vodafone?

Project Fi is a phone service provider like Vodafone, it is a service level feature. If Vodafone had that feature then it would work, if not then it will not. Project Fi is not a software package or app.

1 minute ago, The Benjamins said:

Project Fi is a phone service provider like Vodafone, it is a service level feature. If Vodafone had that feature then it would work, if not then it will not. Project Fi is not a software package or app.

And that's why this is a better solution: one is ubiquitous, the other is geo and service provider restricted 

1 minute ago, suicidalfranco said:

And that's why this is a better solution: one is ubiquitous, the other is geo and service provider restricted 

subjectively

I think they both are great solution, and I prefer service level implementation due it its pro's

It would be nice to see other phone service providers create web apps to do this too. It shouldn't be that hard you can already email to SMS with most phone providers.

22 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

subjectively

I think they both are great solution, and I prefer service level implementation due it its pro's

It would be nice to see other phone service providers create web apps to do this too. It shouldn't be that hard you can already email to SMS with most phone providers.

if google wanted to make it more widespread they could have very easily attached it to the google voice number or email or phone number attached to hangouts when you set it as your default SMS app. You would not receive those texts if the phone is off, but at least it would have been a solution available to anyone

4 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

if google wanted to make it more widespread they could have very easily attached it to the google voice number or email or phone number attached to hangouts when you set it as your default SMS app. You would not receive those texts if the phone is off, but at least it would have been a solution available to anyone

I thought they killed off google voice but I agree with the adding the feature to the hangout app.

3 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

I thought they killed off google voice but I agree with the adding the feature to the hangout app.

still there, it's now part of hangouts and you can still create a phone number by going here google.com/voice

25 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

still there, it's now part of hangouts and you can still create a phone number by going here google.com/voice

I will have to take your word on that, google.com/voice takes me to my Project Fi management page

The "commands" bit looks really interesting, sure the texting as well - but that's been in the wild for ages. Any word on what these "commands" will be?

Also it would be brilliant if the command launching was both ways, so i could command my PC using my phone