Reduce cost, Reuse parts, Recycle the old crappy case

Spartaton

What do you guys think: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/BbsVwV

Please note:

The mobo is actually this: https://www.amazon.com/MS-7543-VER-1-0-Motherboard-Mainboard/dp/B01850CV1C (with the old Alienware area 51 BIOS)

My ram is Samsung, not kingston

The PSU is actually this: https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Dell-Without-Precision-Compatible/dp/B005OAV3NE (2x 8/6 pin and 2x 6 pin)

My main concerns are about the Hyper 212 and the the GPU. I've never overclocked before (which I intend to do) and I want good thermals so this can last. I do have a 120mm all in one that was in the computer, but it could be up to 7 years old (it's old enough that with no screws the thermal paste was able to hold the whole all in one up and there wasn't even that much) and it might not even be compatible with the case (which I already bought) because it has short tubes. For the GPU all I really want to know is what you think I can get before bottlenecks become an issue. I've checked and PCI-e 2.0 doesn't seem to be a bottleneck, but I'm wondering about the CPU, especially since there will also be the USB expansion card. Also my plan is to sell the PC. So do you think with a 1060 there will be room for some profit or do you think I should go for something less expensive (if so, what).

Id get a x5650/x5660/x5670. There 6 cores for about the same price

Do you have the dell case for that mobo. It might not fit in a normal case. 

If you have the case, then id use it

Thats not a normal psu and only for certian workstation, if you have all the cables it will be fine, but be aware of that.

21 minutes ago, Spartaton said:

Also my plan is to sell the PC. So do you think with a 1060 there will be room for some profit or do you think I should go for something less expensive (if so, what).

You not making much profit from this. Id personally get a job at a computer shop if you want money and want to work with computers.

10 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id get a x5650/x5660/x5670. There 6 cores for about the same price

Do you have the dell case for that mobo. It might not fit in a normal case. 

If you have the case, then id use it

Thats not a normal psu and only for certian workstation, if you have all the cables it will be fine, but be aware of that.

Well the i7-960 is out of the old computer

I checked. It seems like it might be slightly (as in barely) larger than ATX, but it has all the ATX mounting point. I will keep the case until I can confirm it fits in the new one.

But you've probably never taken apart an old Alienware Area 51. I'm talking at least 100 screws and 10 large pieces. Not to mention all the extra cables for the 2 daughter boards (which are non-essential to computer components but essential for the case). Plus the 6 3.5" bays (6 screws each) which needed to be removed.

I made sure to check. It should be fine, but I do plan to test everything before I spend most of the money. Speaking of which, is it safe to run the i7-960 without a CPU cooler just to install windows and make sure everything works?

29 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

You not making much profit from this. Id personally get a job at a computer shop if you want money and want to work with computers.

I would like to work at a computer shop at some point, but this is just me trying to turn my old computer into a little bit of money. Plus with university coming up (and the big deal everyone makes of it) I don't know if I'll have time for a job.

Also I intend to ask whoever is buying it what resolution their monitor is and discuss with them what gpu they want. So the 1060 is not a certainty. Probably more likely to be a RX 480 or RX 460.

7 hours ago, Spartaton said:

Well the i7-960 is out of the old computer

I checked. It seems like it might be slightly (as in barely) larger than ATX, but it has all the ATX mounting point. I will keep the case until I can confirm it fits in the new one.

But you've probably never taken apart an old Alienware Area 51. I'm talking at least 100 screws and 10 large pieces. Not to mention all the extra cables for the 2 daughter boards (which are non-essential to computer components but essential for the case). Plus the 6 3.5" bays (6 screws each) which needed to be removed.

I made sure to check. It should be fine, but I do plan to test everything before I spend most of the money. Speaking of which, is it safe to run the i7-960 without a CPU cooler just to install windows and make sure everything works?

Why not just use te old case and psu  and cooling. it will work just fine and might sell for more than a generic gaming pc.

4 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Why not just use te old case and psu  and cooling. it will work just fine and might sell for more than a generic gaming pc.

I am using the old psu. I can't figure out whether using an old all in one has negative consequences (like the liquid evaporating over time or something). Plus like I said, it might not be compatible with the new case. It might not even have a back plate that I can remove from the old case to use. So I'm just getting options ready. As for the case it was a nightmare just to take apart and I can't imagine what it would be like trying to build in. Plus there's cons like there being no front usb 3.0 ports, no dust filters, and terrible airflow among other things. Not to mention the fact that I had to unplug everything from the daughter boards in order to be able to remove the power supply. Which means the vents at the top of the case won't work, limiting the rather large case to a single front fan intake that has a built on shroud that covers 2/3 of the airflow.