Need CPU / Build help for Computational fluid dynamics

Hello everyone.

Thank you in advance for any help.

We have purchased a new software for CFD Modeling, the software will allow us to use up to a 16 Core CPU.

We are currently the software on our laptop with 4 core i7 4650u "i think that is the cpu"  and simulations or "runs" are taking up to 5 days for us to process.

So we would like to build a computer with 16 cores and they recommend 4gigs ram per core.

The software flow_3d runs on the CPU

And the post processor Flow_Sight runs on GPU.

I have been investigating the Intel Xeon E5-2670 I can get 2 of these for $150

I would like to get the runs down to half a day if possible so we can give our clients quick results.

Computational fluid dynamics (CFD) is a branch of fluid mechanics that uses numerical analysis and algorithms to solve and analyze problems that involve fluid flows. Computers are used to perform the calculations required to simulate the interaction of liquids and gases with surfaces defined by boundary conditions. With high-speed supercomputers, better solutions can be achieved. Ongoing research yields software that improves the accuracy and speed of complex simulation scenarios such as transonic orturbulent flows

Cheers,

Tyler

Supermicro X9DA7 probably will do the trick.  You'll need an oversized ATX case (E-ATX).  $600 board or so, but not bad for what you're getting.

You can get two E5-2670 CPUs for $150??  That's an $1,800 CPU.  That is an insanely good deal.  You should definitely get those.  The best value 16 core CPU is the E5-2683, or you can step up to the 2698.

I don't know how much GPU power you need, or how much VRAM you could use (my guess is, a lot).  Nvidia just released their newest Titan X (Pascal) GPU that would be amazing and has tons of memory.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

Yeah check out eBay, $70-$80 first-gen E5-2670's are a dime a dozen.  So with a board like I suggested, you can assemble such a machine for $800 or so. 

Unless the CFD software is specifically GPU accelerated, GPU's won't be of any use. 

3 hours ago, HoodRiver said:

@Mark77

@CostcoSamples

The software is Flow 3d

And FlowSight

https://www.flow3d.com/home/products/flow-3d

Do you think that the  E5-2683 @ 2GHz would be faster than  2 CPU  E5-2670 @ 2.3GHZ

I do have some experience modelling finite element software in civil engineering (Plaxis etc) but I'm not familiar with Flow 3d or FlowSight.  

It would depend how the software can make use of multiple CPUs.  The website does say it can run on either workstations or clusters, so dual E5-2670 is probably a good idea.  For GPU, they had this to say:

"Recommended options are nVidia’s Quadro K series and AMD’s FirePro W series. nVidia’s GTX gaming hardware works with some limitations, such as slow or incorrect functioning of volume rendering."

Note that the difference between recent Quadro GPUs and gaming GPUs is becoming very small (amount of memory might be the only difference).

This is a pretty serious build and represents a big investment for your company.  I would definitely contact Flow 3D and ask them for hardware recommendations.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

@CostcoSamples

Thank you,

We are thinking of going with the 2@ 2670 and the Gtx 1070.

Still having issues finding good price 4 x 16 Gb ram. 

We can always upgrade or build another.

Right now we have to deliver results much faster. 

We are ordering parts tonight.

I thank you for the info on the other chips!

I have spoken with the support team and they say it is a good start.

We spent a lot on the software so we are shooting for a budget build at this moment.

@CostcoSamples

Thank you,

We are thinking of going with the 2@ 2670 and the Gtx 1070.

We can always upgrade or build another.

Right now we have to deliver results much faster. 

We are ordering parts tonight.

I thank you for the info on the other chips!

I have spoken with the support team and they say it is a good start.

We spent a lot on the software so we are shooting for a budget build at this moment.

4 hours ago, HoodRiver said:

We have purchased a new software for CFD Modeling, the software will allow us to use up to a 16 Core CPU.

We are currently the software on our laptop with 4 core i7 4650u "i think that is the cpu"  and simulations or "runs" are taking up to 5 days for us to process.

I see you already set your mind, but just a side comment: the 4650u is a dual core with HT, so a dual core from the point of view of your application. Being a power-saving laptop cpu, the differences in cache, etc. going to a 16-core server setup could potentially give you the ten-fold increase in performance you are after, or at least get you in the ballpark.

The comparison with the 2683 is trickier due to somewhat lower clocks but newer architecture and higher cache, falling 2 cores short. Hard to tell without direct experience, and I've only worked with older Xeons.

15 minutes ago, HoodRiver said:

It can get worse due to ECC being expensive in large quantities, unless the motherboard and cpu both take non-ECC as well.