Is this a solid start for my first build?

So I'm located In the US first time in a forum first time doing any of this stuff and well I need some guidance. I'm looking to build a desktop preferably for gaming I've never built one before I'm jumping from an old hp laptop. My budget sits from $800-$1200. Ill be buying the parts overtime I estimate around 2-3 months. I've watched numerous builds on Youtube after hours of watching "BEST $____ BUILD OF ______". I came up with this list. 

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/gyKcbj (Original)

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/GXnd9W (update 1)

I don't plan on overclocking now but id like the option to once I get an idea of what I'm doing. I'll most likely do my gaming in 1080p to start although im not sure if it can even perform better then that? Dont plan on streaming or editing but id like to be able to capture some gameplay every now and then for my own record. I'm open for suggestions to improve it whether it saves me cash or gives it more performance for a few more bucks. I based the build off one of the videos I seen might been one from Linus I dont recall.

1st correction: swapped to z170, 1 8gb ram stick, and 1tb blue western.

First off you won't be able to oc with h170 mobo

You can get i5 6600 or i5 6500 (non K) or get a z170 mobo

Second off get a single 8GB stick instead. Reduces stress

Third WD blue. Don't get WD black. For storage blue is enough. Black is way too much

Get a 6600 not k or get a z170 motherboard instead.  The only real perk you'll find out of a 6600k vs non k is 200mhz faster base clock and the only way to overclock is with a z170.

There's something cool here - you just can't see it.

Get a 6600 not k or get a z170 motherboard instead.  The only real perk you'll find out of a 6600k vs non k is 200mhz faster base clock and the only way to overclock is with a z170.

There's something cool here - you just can't see it.

23 minutes ago, dexxterlab97 said:

First off you won't be able to oc with h170 mobo

You can get i5 6600 or i5 6500 (non K) or get a z170 mobo

Second off get a single 8GB stick instead. Reduces stress

Third WD blue. Don't get WD black. For storage blue is enough. Black is way too much

Thanks! I've corrected it.

Get a better air cooler if you want to overclock more or even aio water cooler

33 minutes ago, FlawlessMistake said:

So I'm located In the US first time in a forum first time doing any of this stuff and well I need some guidance. I'm looking to build a desktop preferably for gaming I've never built one before I'm jumping from an old hp laptop. My budget sits from $800-$1200. Ill be buying the parts overtime I estimate around 2-3 months. I've watched numerous builds on Youtube after hours of watching "BEST $____ BUILD OF ______". I came up with this list. 

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/gyKcbj (Original)

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/GXnd9W (update 1)

I don't plan on overclocking now but id like the option to once I get an idea of what I'm doing. I'll most likely do my gaming in 1080p to start although im not sure if it can even perform better then that? Dont plan on streaming or editing but id like to be able to capture some gameplay every now and then for my own record. I'm open for suggestions to improve it whether it saves me cash or gives it more performance for a few more bucks. I based the build off one of the videos I seen might been one from Linus I dont recall.

1st correction: swapped to z170, 1 8gb ram stick, and 1tb blue western.

The build looks solid, but the graphics card may need an upgrade within a year or two due to the "best bang for the buck" card. Not saying to upgrade now, but soon after you'll need to upgrade the power supply as well for future additions to the build.

29 minutes ago, Health_Nut_Heretic said:

The build looks solid, but the graphics card may need an upgrade within a year or two due to the "best bang for the buck" card. Not saying to upgrade now, but soon after you'll need to upgrade the power supply as well for future additions to the build.

Which graphics card would you recommend? I was also thinking of getting a 600w power supp.

34 minutes ago, Mi26 said:

Get a better air cooler if you want to overclock more or even aio water cooler

Which air cooler do you suggest?