What Is The Most Highly Rated DAC/AMP for under $350?

Darkmatter35

Hi Guys I have been having trouble finding a good DAC/AMP for my needs. I will be running a high quality rig that will be used mostly for gaming but I will also be listening to music a lot and doing some small audio editing. I want to have really good quality. I also own a Korg Synth and I'd like to incorporate that in some way. I'm considering using the Fiio E10 for my headset but I need to have a mic plug because I use Teamspeak a lot. I know that I can just plug it into the mic input on the back of my computer to make it simple (which I might just have to deal with).

Please let me know what the community thinks is the best DAC/AMP for my needs!

Kinda Wish With all my heart that Fiio made a DAC/AMP that wasn't small and had a lot more features......

PS - My headset will be a Sennheiser PC363D

The LTT audio section really likes the O2/ODAC. You could check that out from @MayflowerElectronics

Edit : If you haven't bought the headset yet, I'd say spend the majority of that money on headphones, spend ~$80 on a Blue Yeti (assuming you do audio recording and you care about the quality), and the rest on a DAC/amp.

Case-NZXT H440 | Motherboard-Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H | RAM-Kingston HyperX Blue 2x8GB 1600MHz | CPU-Intel 3770K @ 4.3GHz at 1.215v | Heatsink-Coolermaster Hyper212 Evo | GPU-EVGA GTX660 SC | SSD-MX200 250GB | HDD-Seagate Barracuda 3TB | PSU-EVGA GS650

Mouse-Logitech G600 | Keyboard-Ducky Shine 3 MX Blue. white backlight | Headphones-Audiotechnica ATH-M50s. Beyerdynamic DT990

I reccommend you use $275ish to buy better headphones and use the rest to buy a fiio e10

<p>Wires Suck :angry:
!fY0|_|(4|\|R34[)7#!5PMM37#3(0[)3:1337 70833|\|73R3[)!|\|49!\/34\|/4Y 4|\|[)93741!f3

I reccommend you use $275ish to buy better headphones and use the rest to buy a fiio

the Headphones I am going to get are top of the line gaming headsets and they are $300. No need

the Headphones I am going to get are top of the line gaming headsets and they are $300. No need

"Top of the line gaming headset" is nothing compared to $250 headphones and a $50 microphone. Just saying.

I meant the Objective2/ODAC in my previous post. 

Case-NZXT H440 | Motherboard-Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H | RAM-Kingston HyperX Blue 2x8GB 1600MHz | CPU-Intel 3770K @ 4.3GHz at 1.215v | Heatsink-Coolermaster Hyper212 Evo | GPU-EVGA GTX660 SC | SSD-MX200 250GB | HDD-Seagate Barracuda 3TB | PSU-EVGA GS650

Mouse-Logitech G600 | Keyboard-Ducky Shine 3 MX Blue. white backlight | Headphones-Audiotechnica ATH-M50s. Beyerdynamic DT990

O2/Odac always gets good reviews on a bang for the buck factor. Check out Schiit (yes, it's pronounced how it looks) Modi/Magni stack. It's cheaper, looks amazing, and many prefer it to the O2/Odac.

http://schiit.com/products

They are about equal to HD558s which aren't that good a pair of head phones.

Just because they're expensive dosent mean they are good Beats Pros are $400 but they are about as good as ATH-M50s which are $150

<p>Wires Suck :angry:
!fY0|_|(4|\|R34[)7#!5PMM37#3(0[)3:1337 70833|\|73R3[)!|\|49!\/34\|/4Y 4|\|[)93741!f3

But most reviews are the exact opposite. If I had $300 to spend it would be on a fiioe10 and K701 + mic.  You won't tell the difference between an e10 and any other DAC until after you spend more than $300 on headphones (not headsets).

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

O2/Odac always gets good reviews on a bang for the buck factor. Check out Schiit (yes, it's pronounced how it looks) Modi/Magni stack. It's cheaper, looks amazing, and many prefer it to the O2/Odac.

http://schiit.com/products

Schiit products are shit. They are $30 cmoy amps and a crap DAC chip shoved into a shiny case.

If someone says that the shit stack sounds better than the o2/odac they either have impaired hearing or a bias towards towards the products.

Schiit products are shit. They are $30 cmoy amps and a crap DAC chip shoved into a shiny case.

If someone says that the shit stack sounds better than the o2/odac they either have impaired hearing or a bias towards towards the products.

Audio is all about preference. Sound signatures on everything are different. While the O2/Odac may sound better to most, it's also almost 50% more expensive. I was thinking about picking  up a modi to use until I can get a Peachtree dac-it, and I read 3 different reviews that said the modi didn't sound bad compared to the Odac, it just had a sound that some would prefer.

Are you talking about this?

http://www.mayflowerelectronics.com/objective2-amplifer-with-odac.html

Audio is all about preference. Sound signatures on everything are different. While the O2/Odac may sound better to most, it's also almost 50% more expensive. I was thinking about picking up a modi to use until I can get a Peachtree dac-it, and I read 3 different reviews that said the modi didn't sound bad compared to the Odac, it just had a sound that some would prefer.

50%?

The shit combo is $200, o2/odac is $249.99 (not counting the discount we currently have)

I'd hardly call 7x gain that they put in that amplifier a sound signature people prefer. I'd think people would gladly want to pay the extra 25% for a product that comes from a company that doesn't sell products that kills headphones.

Schiit is one of the shadiest audio companies on the market right now.

50%?

The shit combo is $200, o2/odac is $249.99

I'd hardly call 7x gain that they put in that amplifier a sound signature people prefer.

JDS Labs has it listed at $279. Although, if Mayflowerelectronics.com is seliing only Odac and O2 on the website, I guess you POV makes more sense. Salesmanship. ABC... Always be closin'.

Audio is all about preference. Sound signatures on everything are different. While the O2/Odac may sound better to most, it's also almost 50% more expensive. I was thinking about picking  up a modi to use until I can get a Peachtree dac-it, and I read 3 different reviews that said the modi didn't sound bad compared to the Odac, it just had a sound that some would prefer.

Sound shouldn't have a different "signature" in the first place - you're supposed to listen to the music, not your amplifier. I don't have a problem with the Modi, but the Magni has 12x gain that you can't change. Do you know how much that is? It makes "turning the dial to 11" look like child's play.

what is it in comparison to the Fiio E10?

It's an amplifier and DAC just like the fiio, but measures much better and has superior build quality. O2 also has more features, customizing ect ect.

Sound shouldn't have a different "signature" in the first place - you're supposed to listen to the music, not your amplifier. I don't have a problem with the Modi, but the Magni has 12x gain that you can't change. Do you know how much that is? It makes "turning the dial to 11" look like child's play.

Correct, audio doesn't have a signature, but the hardware will normally give it somehow. There are a few things low end products out there that won't color the sound, but on a budget of $350, it's not really an easy thing to pull off. I wasn't so much pushing for the magni as I was the modi. I'm running a Bottlehead Crack from the rca out on my essence stx, and I'm having all kinds of issues with ground loop and 60hz hum. That's why I'm going with the Peachtree, because it's a good dac that sits at the top of the price range before diminishing returns kicks in Whatever can get audio going to a dac through usb is a good thing. The O2 and Odac are stellar products in their price, possibly the best. But your point of listening to the music and not the amp is the reason people should do some research and explore options before making a purchase.

Correct, audio doesn't have a signature, but the hardware will normally give it somehow. There are a few things low end products out there that won't color the sound, but on a budget of $350, it's not really an easy thing to pull off. I wasn't so much pushing for the magni as I was the modi. I'm running a Bottlehead Crack from the rca out on my essence stx, and I'm having all kinds of issues with ground loop and 60hz hum. That's why I'm going with the Peachtree, because it's a good dac that sits at the top of the price range before diminishing returns kicks in Whatever can get audio going to a dac through usb is a good thing. The O2 and Odac are stellar products in their price, possibly the best. But your point of listening to the music and not the amp is the reason people should do some research and explore options before making a purchase.

I don't think a new DAC will fix your problem. 60hz hum comes within the amp, and I know for a fact a ground loop means a problem with the amp. Check the soldering points and make sure you finished the amp correctly.

I'm running a Bottlehead Crack from the rca out on my essence stx, and I'm having all kinds of issues with ground loop and 60hz hum. That's why I'm going with the Peachtree, because it's a good dac that sits at the top of the price range before diminishing returns kicks in Whatever can get audio going to a dac through usb is a good thing.

Be aware, I got a group loop between my PC and Little Dot stack even using USB - have to use optical to eliminate it. Not sure if this is a problem with the DAC or my PC, and I haven't tried a USB cable without the ground connection yet, however.  :wacko:

It's an amplifier and DAC just like the fiio, but measures much better and has superior build quality. O2 also has more features, customizing ect ect.

Cool thanks guys! I have decided to drop the PC363D's because I don't need the mic on because I already have a Yeti Pro. Also Please suggest any headphones for me that would not be bottlenecked by the O2/ODAC. Preferably from Sennheiser and that is under $400. This forum has helped me so much I almost bought a xonar phoebus lol. Oh and Meeklo Please stop putting the hate on Mayflower he clearly knows a lot more than you do about audio...  

Cool thanks guys! I have decided to drop the PC363D's because I don't need the mic on because I already have a Yeti Pro. Also Please suggest any headphones for me that would not be bottlenecked by the O2/ODAC. Preferably from Sennheiser and that is under $400. 

You can usually find good condition, used HD 580/600/650's for around $300 on eBay.

Edit: Like this!

Oh and Meeklo Please stop putting the hate on Mayflower he clearly knows a lot more than you do about audio...  

Woah woah woah, I'm pretty sure we're all being friendly here bro.

You can usually find good condition, used HD 580/600/650's for around $300 on eBay.

Edit: Like this!

Woah woah woah, I'm pretty sure we're all being friendly here bro.

not meeklo