6600k OC and Temps

Go to solution Solved by Imakuni,
12 minutes ago, Kevin_Walter said:

Though my temps are hitting a maximum of 75c (69-73c average. 75 is max I've seen so far.) on the socket and core 0 according to CPUID. 

This doesn't really seem safe to me. 

So what are the safe temps for a 6600k? 70 seems like it would be the limit, though that could just be my brain saying so because I had an FX 6300 before and 70c was about the limit for that.

AMD measures temperature differently than Intel. They aren't comparable, and that's why we say up to 85C is fine on Intel, but a complete danger on AMD. Margins on FX CPUs are "lower" than Intel's.

Don't sweat about it, 70C is fine. For instance, mine's constantly touching the 80s 24/7.

15 minutes ago, Kevin_Walter said:

This is on stock voltage, by the way. Obviously, if I push the voltage higher, it's only going to get hotter, so I'd like to push it as far as it can go on stock voltage and just leave it there. I've never been one for extreme OCs.

There's no such thing as "stock voltage". Auto voltage just means the mobo is putting it at whatever it wants to; might be 1.2, might be 1.4, who knows... regardless, you should never let the voltage on auto when OCing, even more so when using Prime95 (which, btw, I bet you are using either the wrong version, wrong test or both).

Put it at a fixed 1.3v and see if it's stable. That's what it took me to get 4263mhz out of my chip, you might be able to get 4.3 with it.

So I have a 6600k (duh) and I'm working on OCing it. I've had it since Christmas and it's worked fine running at stock speeds. I'm cooling it with a Hyper 212 Evo.

So I pushed it to 4.5 GHz and it wasn't stable at all. Loading up Chrome caused a crash. So I dropped it down to 4.4 GHz and I'm running Prime95. No crashes yet, and no cores have stopped working (Core 3 just stopped. I guess I'm bumping dow to 4.3GHz.). Though my temps are hitting a maximum of 75c (69-73c average. 75 is max I've seen so far.) on the socket and core 0 according to CPUID. 

So what are the safe temps for a 6600k? 70 seems like it would be the limit, though that could just be my brain saying so because I had an FX 6300 before and 70c was about the limit for that.

This is on stock voltage, by the way. Obviously, if I push the voltage higher, it's only going to get hotter, so I'd like to push it as far as it can go on stock voltage and just leave it there. I've never been one for extreme OCs.

"A picture is starting to form here... I wonder if it's accurate? Some pieces don't quite seem to fit. Or maybe I just don't like the way it looks."

The limit for intel CPUs is 105C although anything above 85C is worrying.

75C is perfectly fine.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

12 minutes ago, Kevin_Walter said:

Though my temps are hitting a maximum of 75c (69-73c average. 75 is max I've seen so far.) on the socket and core 0 according to CPUID. 

AMD measures temperature differently than Intel. They aren't comparable, and that's why we say up to 85C is fine on Intel, but a complete danger on AMD. Margins on FX CPUs are "lower" than Intel's.

Don't sweat about it, 70C is fine. For instance, mine's constantly touching the 80s 24/7.

15 minutes ago, Kevin_Walter said:

There's no such thing as "stock voltage". Auto voltage just means the mobo is putting it at whatever it wants to; might be 1.2, might be 1.4, who knows... regardless, you should never let the voltage on auto when OCing, even more so when using Prime95 (which, btw, I bet you are using either the wrong version, wrong test or both).

Put it at a fixed 1.3v and see if it's stable. That's what it took me to get 4263mhz out of my chip, you might be able to get 4.3 with it.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

6 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

(which, btw, I bet you are using either the wrong version, wrong test or both).

Well if the latest version is wrong for some reason, and running Small FFTs to test heat is wrong, then you're probably right. 

Thanks for the tip about voltage though.

"A picture is starting to form here... I wonder if it's accurate? Some pieces don't quite seem to fit. Or maybe I just don't like the way it looks."

2 minutes ago, Kevin_Walter said:

Well if the latest version is wrong for some reason, and running Small FFTs to test heat is wrong, then you're probably right. 

Thanks for the tip about voltage though.

Welp, that's unusual. If you are doing things properly, then either your mobo is using a very low voltage (which would be weird, they usually overshoot under P95 when on auto) or your ambient temps are chill AF. Or a mix of both. 73C max on a 212 EVO is not something that's supposed to happen.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

2 hours ago, Imakuni said:

Welp, that's unusual. If you are doing things properly, then either your mobo is using a very low voltage (which would be weird, they usually overshoot under P95 when on auto) or your ambient temps are chill AF. Or a mix of both. 73C max on a 212 EVO is not something that's supposed to happen.

I live in northern Ohio and I have AC. My idle temps are around 25-30c. They were even lower on my old FX 6300. lol

EDIT: So I just ran P95 for two hours at 4.3GHz and 1.3 volts. No stopped cores and no crashes. Temps were averaging 73c again and maxed 75. I don't think I'll push it further.

Marking solved.