AMD RX480 opinions

Go to solution Solved by jedinym,

I have one too and  it's amazing! I play Witcher 3 1080p high settings and NVidia Hairworks ON 60fps solid. Haven't seen a drop yet. Enjoy your 480! 

Hi all, 

So I've had my XFX Radeon RX480 8GB XXX version (Don't ask why I didn't go for the black edition, at the time past me was like pfft a tenner for 40 more mghz) and i'm enjoying it, I used to have a Zotac GTX 770 and this has been my first card upgrade.
So far everything's all good, it runs hotter than I expected (max I've hit is about 75°) but that's probably due to not having something that has been that hot before, it will happily run CS:GO at max settings (minus motion blur because I don't like it) at 1080p with a solid 59-60 fps, Final Fantasy 13 with 8k shadow res and x 16 MSAA at around the same frames, L4D2 boasts no issues, Rocket League doesn't hinder it at all, the entire Dark Souls franchise bears no issues.

It's only until you push games to 1440p is where you may notice some issues.
Rocket League, L4D, Dark Souls 2 etc. have no issues but when you apply that to CS and FF it starts to range between 30 and top 40's for fps. Which isn't bad but at points you will notice slowness and swapping it back to 1080p you instantly notice the difference.
Now you're probably reading this thinking well where's all the top end demanding games, well I don't have any, so *flatulent noise*

But anyway, for the price I paid (It was 199 full price, I got it ex.VAT and £60 off since I sold my old GPU) I can't knock it, yeah sure you can go buy a 1080 or a 980 and get better performance but they also cost a shit tonne more, I also like all the Wattman stuff and the general radeon settings, I have a GTX 760 at work and the Nvidia Geforce Experience doesn't feel as useful to me than the Wattman does. I even like minimalist styling of it which I know put many people off.
I would highly recommend one to be honest, if you're after a card upgrade but don't want to fork out a small mortgage or if you play most of your games at 1080p and like me you're perfectly satisfied with the games you currently have and none of the latest ones bother you that much then go for it :) TREAT YO SELF

ALTHOUGH

If I had the money at the time I probably would've bought a 1070 or a 980, but ever since seeing the design of the RX480 I was hooked on owning one, also £300 to whatever a bloody 1070 costs nowadays is a LOT of money.
If you set the minimum fan RPM to anything over 1200-1500 it sounds like someone taped one of them bloody quid shop portable hairdryers into your rig.

It looks quite ugly without the backplate (Because companies focus all the looks on the bottom...that part...that you never see.....)

Some modern games are not happy with them being crossfired, but due to the thickness of it and its habit of getting rather warm I wouldn't trust them anyway.

Thanks for reading, 
Dan

Intel i5 6600k @ 4.5GHz | NZXT Kraken X52 | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | Asus ROG Strix GTX 1070 | 16GB DDR4 Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 3200MHz | CoolerMaster MasterCase 5

I have one too and  it's amazing! I play Witcher 3 1080p high settings and NVidia Hairworks ON 60fps solid. Haven't seen a drop yet. Enjoy your 480! 

I can answer why your RX-480 is running a little bit on the warm side (keep in mind, 75*C is still WELL within range; start worrying when you see 85*C ~ 90*C and up).

It looks like your XFX RX-480 XXX uses a reference cooler -- but with a XFX backplate.

...This is what it looks like under the fan shroud assembly...

Spoiler

radeon-rx480-cooler2.jpg

radeon-rx480-cooler.jpg

All I can say is, not a whole lot.

(You have to give them props though, surprised even THAT can keep a RX-480 from overheating)

The rest of the review here: http://www.legitreviews.com/amd-radeon-rx-480-video-card-review-polaris-arrives_183428/11

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

13 hours ago, -rascal- said:

I can answer why your RX-480 is running a little bit on the warm side (keep in mind, 75*C is still WELL within range; start worrying when you see 85*C ~ 90*C and up).

It looks like your XFX RX-480 XXX uses a reference cooler -- but with a XFX backplate.

...This is what it looks like under the fan shroud assembly...

Reveal hidden contents

radeon-rx480-cooler2.jpg

radeon-rx480-cooler.jpg

All I can say is, not a whole lot.

(You have to give them props though, surprised even THAT can keep a RX-480 from overheating)

The rest of the review here: http://www.legitreviews.com/amd-radeon-rx-480-video-card-review-polaris-arrives_183428/11

As if! D; didn't realise that was it!

I'd best stop moaning and start being thankful ?

Intel i5 6600k @ 4.5GHz | NZXT Kraken X52 | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | Asus ROG Strix GTX 1070 | 16GB DDR4 Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 3200MHz | CoolerMaster MasterCase 5