Can I RAID 0 optical drives?

Jury

Is it possible to software raid optical drives with rewrite able discs in them? What about with bluray discs? 

3 minutes ago, Jury said:

Is it possible to software raid optical drives with rewrite able discs in them? What about with bluray discs? 

Probably not? And why would you want to it would be so loud?!?

I am a paid professional, but only when I am at work...and getting paid.

What would the application for that be? Like, I don't see a use for it at all..

EDIT: aside from proof of concept, but even then... dead media so why

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

For what purpose? The main use for writeable optical media now I'd imagine is with archival grade discs, where speed isn't important. Also if it worked you'd need the same raid setup to read them. 

I understand that this isn't economical costing around $11 for 4 GB, I am mainly wondering if it would work, as OSs used to run on floppies, why not raid floppies why not CDs (for the thrill of it, POC)? @AlwaysFSX  will you os allow you to add the drive (with disk) to a raid array?

2 hours ago, Jury said:

I understand that this isn't economical costing around $11 for 4 GB, I am mainly wondering if it would work, as OSs used to run on floppies, why not raid floppies why not CDs (for the thrill of it, POC)? @AlwaysFSX  will you os allow you to add the drive (with disk) to a raid array?

No idea

In theory? .... I guess. But I'm not sure why you'd bother.

RAID 0 is all about speed and optical media isn't fast. In theory you could get the fastest Blu-Ray drive and put it on an IDE cable and it wouldn't bottleneck. DVDs are around half the speed of Blu-Rays. If speed is what you want you'd be better off just using your HDD. So this didn't make sense even when the amount of storage on them was impressive and SSDs weren't a thing. It certainly doesn't make sense now.

That said, RAID 1? I can see why you might want that. Extra redundancy. But you know how you do RAID 1 with optical media? ..... you burn a second disk!

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing