AMD Adjusts Shifts Gears To Power-First Architecture,, Shows Improvements At HotChips, Talks Up Zen+

It's me!
26 minutes ago, Citadelen said:

You must be fun at Christmas...

cheap zen? yay!

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

I think AMD is totally going to undercut Intel on pricing. Same/comparable performance (for real this time) but at a lower price. The Intel CPU prices have gotten a little out of control for their mainstream parts, IMO. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

4 hours ago, Citadelen said:

You must be fun at Christmas...

I want a Ferrari Enzo for $10000

haha

On 8/25/2016 at 8:47 AM, themctipers said:

as long as it uses solder tim. ;) 

and has atleast haswell ipc (hopefully skylake/kaby lake ipc)

and is cheap as fuck

The quads won't be soldered. The chips are so small you will melt more of them than you'll successfully solder. That's been Intel's and AMD's problem for a while.

Also, would you people stop with the ridiculous idea Zen completely shut the gap in a single try?! It didn't. We've seen Dresdenboy's results. AMD's Blender test is an edge case in the best of circumstances or a complete fabrication by hobbling the competition with a different hardware/software config when stated otherwise.

On 8/25/2016 at 8:53 AM, themctipers said:

well

cheaper than intels $550 i7 6700k.

I can get one for $430 in Australia, and there were definitely $350 options back in the states that didn't involve going to Microcenter.

On 8/25/2016 at 0:49 PM, super_skank said:

Anyone else seeing piledriver / bulldozer mark 2, when i comes to Zen?

Probably can't be as disappointing, but i just don't think these chips are going to anything like what we hope they are going to be.

Hope i am wrong. We need to them to be at least half decent, Intel chips are becoming insanely expensive.

Only on the highest end. Otherwise prices are flat.

On 8/25/2016 at 9:58 PM, Energycore said:

I'm hoping for similar stuff to K10 vs Nehalem where prices will hictate the better choice and that AMD can have a double digit market share

AMD has a double digit market share in the high teens

22 hours ago, Phoenix721 said:

I expect Zen to be a bit faster than the 4690k and a bit slower than the 6600k with a much better price (could perform better in some games/loads) and Zen+ to outperform Skylake but be behind kabylake/whatever intel has at that time period.

Why?! Dresdenboy showed that it isn't in a decently CPU-heavy game!

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

12 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

AMD has a double digit market share in the high teens

I suppose it used to be higher?

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

18 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

Only on the highest end. Otherwise prices are flat.

Not here dude, the quad core i7's have gone up £50-70 over the last 3 generations, which is far from flat.

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

3 hours ago, patrickjp93 said:

The quads won't be soldered. The chips are so small you will melt more of them than you'll successfully solder. That's been Intel's and AMD's problem for a while.

Also, would you people stop with the ridiculous idea Zen completely shut the gap in a single try?! It didn't. We've seen Dresdenboy's results. AMD's Blender test is an edge case in the best of circumstances or a complete fabrication by hobbling the competition with a different hardware/software config when stated otherwise.

I said haswell. Which is before sky lake. Which is before the upcoming kaby lake. 

Thats 2 generations behind.. 

3 hours ago, patrickjp93 said:

I can get one for $430 in Australia, and there were definitely $350 options back in the states that didn't involve going to Microcenter.

Well.. The price has dropped. 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

3 hours ago, super_skank said:

Not here dude, the quad core i7's have gone up £50-70 over the last 3 generations, which is far from flat.

Not Intel's fault the Brits made an economic decision with short-term consequences in the midst of having 6% inflation.

20 minutes ago, themctipers said:

I said haswell. Which is before sky lake. Which is before the upcoming kaby lake. 

Thats 2 generations behind.. 

Well.. The price has dropped. 

Reread what I quoted. You were hoping for Kaby Lake.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

2 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

Not Intel's fault the Brits made an economic decision with short-term consequences in the midst of having 6% inflation.

Said atleast haswell, hopefully skylake/kabylake

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, themctipers said:

Said atleast haswell, hopefully skylake/kabylake

And that's delusional.

10 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

I haven't verified the previous poster's claims on pricing but brexit problems only kicked in very recently. If the trend was on the way up, it would be showing even before that.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

4 hours ago, porina said:

I haven't verified the previous poster's claims on pricing but brexit problems only kicked in very recently. If the trend was on the way up, it would be showing even before that.

GB has had inflationary problems for a while, and demand in the market was decreasing for high-end parts. There may have also been increased VATs on tech, but I'm not aware of any. The fact prices in the U.S. market have remained flat for so long is a miracle. People don't even realize Intel has been getting cheaper when adjusting for inflation, right up until Broadwell-E.

5 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

GB has had inflationary problems for a while, and demand in the market was decreasing for high-end parts. There may have also been increased VATs on tech, but I'm not aware of any. The fact prices in the U.S. market have remained flat for so long is a miracle. People don't even realize Intel has been getting cheaper when adjusting for inflation, right up until Broadwell-E.

Speaking of US pricing...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117559&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker, LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Lol... now prices are good.... But the 6800k is still pretty overpriced considering I got my 5820k new for 300 a year ago.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

1 hour ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Speaking of US pricing...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117559&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-PCPartPicker, LLC-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Lol... now prices are good.... But the 6800k is still pretty overpriced considering I got my 5820k new for 300 a year ago.

Most 5820Ks from online retail are about $330-360, and when you consider the 3820 was that cost and inflation has done nothing to the price, it says eventually a spike is coming. It just depends on how big it will be.

2 hours ago, patrickjp93 said:

The only inflation problem we have here is it is LOWER than what the Bank of England wants it to be. There are two main measures of inflation, called RPI and CPI, which count things slightly differently. Both have been hovering close to zero for a long time, with ongoing fears of returning to recession. They actually want higher inflation to signify a return to growth and brexit might have put a spanner in the works there. The Bank of England base rate was lowered again recently (since brexit) to try and stimulate spending, and from September my mortgage interest rate will be 1.29% which is insanely low, not that I'm complaining! Inflation was higher previously. A fair part of inflation was due to oil prices. Since it has been dropping from its historic highs that effect has gone. 

VAT hasn't changed recently. Looking it up, it last changed from 17.5% to 20% in January 2011. You might be thinking of import duties, but again I'm not aware of any changes there apart from a reduction (elimination) on several classes of electronic goods earlier this year, but I don't think it included computer components.

Since brexit electronic goods have generally had upwards price pressure, simply from the devaluation of the pound causing all imports to increase in cost in local currency terms. There may be some delay due to existing inventory and contracts already in place, but it wont last forever.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

1 minute ago, porina said:

The only inflation problem we have here is it is LOWER than what the Bank of England wants it to be. There are two main measures of inflation, called RPI and CPI, which count things slightly differently. Both have been hovering close to zero for a long time, with ongoing fears of returning to recession. They actually want higher inflation to signify a return to growth and brexit might have put a spanner in the works there. The Bank of England base rate was lowered again recently (since brexit) to try and stimulate spending, and from September my mortgage interest rate will be 1.29% which is insanely low, not that I'm complaining! Inflation was higher previously. A fair part of inflation was due to oil prices. Since it has been dropping from its historic highs that effect has gone. 

VAT hasn't changed recently. Looking it up, it last changed from 17.5% to 20% in January 2011. You might be thinking of import duties, but again I'm not aware of any changes there apart from a reduction (elimination) on several classes of electronic goods earlier this year, but I don't think it included computer components.

Since brexit electronic goods have generally had upwards price pressure, simply from the devaluation of the pound causing all imports to increase in cost in local currency terms. There may be some delay due to existing inventory and contracts already in place, but it wont last forever.

Inflation is not 0-1% for the UK. The bond rate is that low. If currency isn't allowed to free-float most of the time, it causes poor financial health across an entire economy. That has happened in the UK, whether you like it or not. Real inflation has been around 4-6% for the last 5 years, but without a free-floating currency, credit lines are slowed and the economy won't grow at the rate it should to sustain that change in currency value. I always found it weird that decreasing value is called inflation, but I digress.

1 minute ago, patrickjp93 said:

Inflation is not 0-1% for the UK. The bond rate is that low. If currency isn't allowed to free-float most of the time, it causes poor financial health across an entire economy. That has happened in the UK, whether you like it or not. Real inflation has been around 4-6% for the last 5 years, but without a free-floating currency, credit lines are slowed and the economy won't grow at the rate it should to sustain that change in currency value. I always found it weird that decreasing value is called inflation, but I digress.

The two measures I mentioned earlier are the officially used ones, You can look up their exact definitions, but one is a measure based on typical items bought by households, the other also includes other living costs like housing. Where does your definition come from? I assume what you refer to as the bond rate is the Bank of England base rate, which is what they vary to try and influence the earlier two measures. One reason for the UK not previously joining the euro was to retain some financial independence, as far as is possible within the still active European rules until Brexit completes. Certainly the varied economies using the euro has caused them problems there.

45 minutes ago, porina said:

The two measures I mentioned earlier are the officially used ones, You can look up their exact definitions, but one is a measure based on typical items bought by households, the other also includes other living costs like housing. Where does your definition come from? I assume what you refer to as the bond rate is the Bank of England base rate, which is what they vary to try and influence the earlier two measures. One reason for the UK not previously joining the euro was to retain some financial independence, as far as is possible within the still active European rules until Brexit completes. Certainly the varied economies using the euro has caused them problems there.

They're the two England's banks like to use. The various actuarial societies around the world, well, disagree. My dad is a property casualty actuary for Munich Reinsurance, and the truth about how badly the UK finance industry reports money flow and inflation is reported will be earth-shattering when reforms come into effect in 2018. 

13 hours ago, patrickjp93 said:

£50 over 4 years, has nothing to do with Brexit, it has to do the intel raising their prices at an alarming rate.

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

8 hours ago, patrickjp93 said:

VAT has not gone up in 6 years, prices generally here on other good are relatively low, there as been fuck all price increases since the referendum, sure the pound has crashed, but we are not feeling it yet...Price increase are purely down to Intel and Nvidia...

12 minutes ago, super_skank said:

£50 over 4 years, has nothing to do with Brexit, it has to do the intel raising their prices at an alarming rate.

3% year over year is an alarming rate? Dude, paranoia much? And the inflation was an issue long before Brexit. The UK banks just can't hide it anymore. It's the same problem the Yuan is about to have. This is why you leave your currency free-floating.

10 minutes ago, super_skank said:

VAT has not gone up in 6 years, prices generally here on other good are relatively low, there as been fuck all price increases since the referendum, sure the pound has crashed, but we are not feeling it yet...Price increase are purely down to Intel and Nvidia...

And AMD, and IBM, who both raised prices 12% after Brexit as well. The entire world is raising prices on you. It's your own govt.'s fault for not having a free-floating currency and playing with reporting BS for too long.

Dude you don't live here, and see the real day to day prices on other products....Prices have not gone up much here in the last few years....you are not in a position to comment.

Brexit has not even kicked in yet, Fuel has gone down in the last 3 months, food is pretty much the same, as are clothes and other electronics.

15 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

And AMD, and IBM, who both raised prices 12% after Brexit as well. The entire world is raising prices on you. It's your own govt.'s fault for not having a free-floating currency and playing with reporting BS for too long.

The phrasing makes it sound like a global conspiracy, but price rises are not unexpected for imported things. As the currency is devalued, the local market price will appear to go up, although it hasn't if you reference it elsewhere.

Tech goods, which are mostly imported from US, China, Far East, are going up in price. It isn't always obvious, since there may be some delay as there will be "old" stock bought in at the earlier lower price, and there may be contracts in place at the lower price that will continue for now, but will undoubtedly go up on renewal. As soon as the brexit vote result was announced, I immediately bought forward my big spends to help negate the impact of this.

And as is a common problem, the current government sucks. The previous governments sucks. The opposition sucks. The minorities have no power. There is no good choice between them. I would say right now it would be difficult for things to get much worse. I've set expectations low in the past and still ended up disappointed.

Brexit has not even kicked in yet, Fuel has gone down in the last 3 months, food is pretty much the same, as are clothes and other electronics.

Fuel is a bit of an odd ball, since that is related to oil prices which have been dropping with a combination of over production and alternate energy sources coming online. Also it is common for there to be a drop in price over summer, you can be sure they'll go up again in winter unless you're on a fixed price plan.

15 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

The phrasing makes it sound like a global conspiracy, but price rises are not unexpected for imported things. As the currency is devalued, the local market price will appear to go up, although it hasn't if you reference it elsewhere.

Tech goods, which are mostly imported from US, China, Far East, are going up in price. It isn't always obvious, since there may be some delay as there will be "old" stock bought in at the earlier lower price, and there may be contracts in place at the lower price that will continue for now, but will undoubtedly go up on renewal. As soon as the brexit vote result was announced, I immediately bought forward my big spends to help negate the impact of this.

And as is a common problem, the current government sucks. The previous governments sucks. The opposition sucks. The minorities have no power. There is no good choice between them. I would say right now it would be difficult for things to get much worse. I've set expectations low in the past and still ended up disappointed.

Fuel is a bit of an odd ball, since that is related to oil prices which have been dropping with a combination of over production and alternate energy sources coming online. Also it is common for there to be a drop in price over summer, you can be sure they'll go up again in winter unless you're on a fixed price plan.