This a OK Fan Controller? (Hardware)

UneekConcepts

I came across this controller and I like that this one actually has probes to actually monitor temps too, I dont see that to much really. It has decent Reviews on Amazon but if the review numbers are under like the 200 mark I usually take the reviews with a grain of salt so I wanted to see if maybe anyone here has used it and can give some info on it. It is the AeroCool this Model HERE.

Thanks

Rich

There's no point in buying a fan controller in 2016 when 99% of motherboards are fan controllers and have temp sensors.

7 minutes ago, Hunched said:

There's no point in buying a fan controller in 2016 when 99% of motherboards are fan controllers and have temp sensors.

I think it would give you a little more customizability though. I'd still leave the processor fan under the board's control but I have never really been impressed with motherboard control of case fans. It also looks really cool IMO

5 minutes ago, AdmnPower said:

I think it would give you a little more customizability though. I'd still leave the processor fan under the board's control but I have never really been impressed with motherboard control of case fans. It also looks really cool IMO

Eh.

I don't know how anything would give me more control than SpeedFan which has access to every single temperature sensor in my PC and lets me attach any fan to any temperature and make any curve for it I want.

Just now, Hunched said:

Eh.

I don't know how anything would give me more control than SpeedFan which has access to every single temperature sensor in my PC and lets me attach any fan to any temperature and make any curve for it I want.

Last time I used speed fan it didn't really support my board and completely ignored commands to increase or decrease any of my 3 pin fans. It could only adjust the CPU fan. Since it's free though OP could always start with that and see how it works and then move to the hardware controller if there are compatibility issues or any other sort of problem.

I was also getting some strange readings from mystery sensors saying they were running at 90c but when I looked in the BIOS for it's temp readings they were all normal for everything listed. I should also say that I've had boards that were able to control 3 pin fans and adjust based on temps using speed fan as well. So my opinion is that it's a little hit or miss depending on what hardware you're working with.

51 minutes ago, Hunched said:

Eh.

- it only have access to builtin sensors, not to sensors you can place arbitrarily (so if you want to measure something else, you need to plug those probes somewhere)

- it has compatibility issues with some sensors/fans

- it relies on the computer working (OK, not a big concern for the majority, but when you are overclocking, overheating, and overall abusing your hardware, is goot to have something that only depends on the PSU working to measure temps and speed up fans). Also, to quickly tell your fans "shut up!" or "that's hot!" without reconfiguring anything because just right now you don't care about temps/noise the same way you typically do.

I found using Corsair Link (with teh fan/sensor hub) to be very convenient to cover all this issues except the last one, as it still is software driven (although I didn't really test whether the hub "remembers" settings even before getting to Windows).

But going on topic: no experience with that controller, sorry OP.

3 hours ago, Hunched said:

Sure software is nice, but sometimes a dedicated controller is simpler and nicer.

In my case, my motherboard has great fan control, but I have 9x fans on my radiator, and 1 other fan for my VRM area that mounts to a little swivel arm thingy on my test bench.

So I have 9x fans on channel 1, and the other fan on channel 2.  In all situations I leave the fans at about 3 volts on the radiator (25% or so on the controller)  Then if I plan on gaming for an extremely long time or folding / etc for a few hours, I'll bump em up to 40%, (5 volts) 

In benching I'll just bump em up to 100% to keep temps as low as possible.

It's nice just being able to click on the fan controllers screen with my finger and have it go to the % I need it, then when I'm done just push it back. 

In my experience with software, it's not always 100% reliable, whilst my fan controller has been.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089