What exactly is surround sound?

Chaicho

I was at a movie theater a few days ago and i heard like a backround noise and turned around but i realized it was the movie and someone was screaming in the movie, and i wanted to know it that is surround sound and what good gaming headset has it ?

3 minutes ago, Chaicho said:

I was at a movie theater a few days ago and i heard like a backround noise and turned around but i realized it was the movie and someone was screaming in the movie, and i wanted to know it that is surround sound and what good gaming headset has it ?

Surround sound is just where the sound is sent to a speaker in a position relative to where the sound is coming from. 

So if there are footsteps from a guy running toward you from the back right to your front right you will hear footsteps from the back right speaker and it will get louder as he gets closer and eventually transition to the front right speaker as he passes in front of you. 

Surround headsets work the same way by either having multiple speakers in each earpiece or by tricking you by changing the pitch/volume in each ear. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

put on some headphones (apple earbuds do not work for some strange reason)

go to youtube

search "virtual barber shop"

glhf

i7-4790k | MSI Z97 GAMING-5 | Corsair Vengeance 16 GB | Samsung EVO-850 250GB SSD & WD blue 1 TB HDD | EVGA 1070 SC | Red NZXT H440 | Cooler Master G650W

57 minutes ago, Railgun said:

C R A Z Y !

First time I've come across this. Thanks for sharing

Surround sound in headsets is squashed Vritra. I wouldn't go looking for it. Surround sound is only really a thing with speakers. 

Basically put, surround sound is a way to place different tracks of on audio mix to come out of different audio channels. 

Thereby creating the feeling of a 3D soundscape. 

1 hour ago, Railgun said:

put on some headphones (apple earbuds do not work for some strange reason)

go to youtube

glhf

That's a binural recording. While it aims to achieve the same thing as surround sound it is uses a different recording and mixing methode.

Surround sound uses a large microphone array while binural recordings only use stereo microphones and a lot of software trickery.  

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

The surround sound in headsets are complete bullshit. Just gimmicks told to the public by companies to sound fancy. Get a pair of open back headphones with large sound stage. Most games have surround processing implemented. If you find that you don't like the games SS, just download an audio processing app like Razer Surround.

Doomsday: CPU : i5 6600k, GPU : MSI Gaming GTX 1070, RAM : 16GB G.Skill DDR4 2400, MB : MSI Gaming M5 Z170A, Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 Evo/ 2TB Seagate Barracuda, PSU : EVGA SuperNova GS 550, Case : Phanteks Eclipse P400, CPU Cooler : Corsair H100i, Monitor : Acer 1440p60 / Asus 1080p60 OS Windows 10 Pro Audio : Sennheiser HD 598SE / SMSL SD-793-II / Blue Snowball Steam : Vlad the Inhaler

42 minutes ago, Volbet said:

Surround sound in headsets is squashed Vritra. I wouldn't go looking for it. Surround sound is only really a thing with speakers. 

Basically put, surround sound is a way to place different tracks of on audio mix to come out of different audio channels. 

Thereby creating the feeling of a 3D soundscape. 

That's a binural recording. While it aims to achieve the same thing as surround sound it is uses a different recording and mixing methode.

Surround sound uses a large microphone array while binural recordings only use stereo microphones and a lot of software trickery.  

Binarual doesn't use any software "trickery". It uses two ear-shaped microphones, spaced at a typical inter-aural distance, or even a complete dummy head.

As you said, surround sound works with speakers. Any reference of surround sound to headphones/headsets is marketing gibberish for virtualized localization.