How to make a link look like another one.

Go to solution Solved by Oshino Shinobu,
9 minutes ago, Carlos1010 said:

No its just that the links from amazon are too long how do I have them shorter?

Type your text that you want to be the link. Highlight it, then click the little link icon in the toolbar above the text box (next to strikethrough and quote). Then type the url you want it to link to in the prompt window. 

That, or you can click the link button and type the text and link you want, instead of typing then highlighting. 

You can also do the same thing by typing out the code for it, but just using the buttons is much easier. 

Example: This will take you to Amazon UK

link.png

Hi all,

Just want to have a link so that I could customize it myself to look like another one, also is there a way that for example a person clicks on my link goes through the link's server and then gets redirected to like google or something? Is that possible (don't ask me why I want to know) Thanks in advanced! 

I'm part of the "Help a noob foundation" 

you mean a redirect service like goo.gl?

however, the matter of "dont ask why i want to know" does worry me... should probably note that the use of link redirection services on this forum is a huge black flag, so dont use it here. (it's no longer in the new community standards, but still, dont ;))

Yes it! There are lots of websites out there that allow you to do so (bit.ly, goo.gl, ...)

You can setup your own webserver with a small domain name and code some redirecting scripts that will do the work for you.

If you're trying to make links like facebook.com go to your webserver and then redirect them to the real facebook.com then no.

3 minutes ago, manikyath said:

you mean a redirect service like goo.gl?

however, the matter of "dont ask why i want to know" does worry me... should probably note that the use of link redirection services on this forum is a huge black flag, so dont use it here. (it's no longer in the new community standards, but still, dont ;))

You can shorten links by using things like bit.ly and Google's link shortener. That can essentially disguise a link, but you have little control over what the link displays as. 

You can also (on something like a forum or a web page) just type a url, but then overwrite the link to another site using a normal text hyperlink like so: http://www.google.com. That link appears to be a link to Google.com, but it will actually take you to linustechtips.com. 

As for making a link go to a server, then redirect, I'm sure it's possible to embed some commands in the link to do that, but I'd question the usage of it. If you wanted to have a link that goes to facebook, then redirects to another site, I'm sure it's possible, but if it's actually going through their servers, I'd question the legality of it. 

2 minutes ago, Carlos1010 said:

use a redirect service like goo.gl, or get a webhost and make your own redirect service. (if you need to ask how: D.O.N.T.)

or in case of the forum, there's a little button up top that allows you to make a link that's replaced by text so it's not ugly.

1 minute ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

ou can also (on something like a forum or a web page) just type a url, but then overwrite the link to another site using a normal text hyperlink like so: http://www.google.com. That link appears to be a link to Google.com, but it will actually take you to linustechtips.com

How do you make this?

9 minutes ago, Carlos1010 said:

Type your text that you want to be the link. Highlight it, then click the little link icon in the toolbar above the text box (next to strikethrough and quote). Then type the url you want it to link to in the prompt window. 

That, or you can click the link button and type the text and link you want, instead of typing then highlighting. 

You can also do the same thing by typing out the code for it, but just using the buttons is much easier. 

Example: This will take you to Amazon UK

link.png

<a href="http://www.hyperlinkcode.com/">google.com</a>

Just now, Carlos1010 said:

<a href="http://www.hyperlinkcode.com/">google.com</a>

LOL how do you do it?

4 minutes ago, Carlos1010 said:

LOL how do you do it?

That's HTML. The forum uses BBCode. (It's simple and less powerful than HTML. Better in terms of security for websites and ease of use)

This is Amazon UK 

[url=http://amazon.co.uk/]This is Amazon UK[/url] 

• 3 years later...