GTX 1070 or 1080 for 1440p

KappaKing

So for this build http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/h7kRYJ would I be better off with a GTX 1070 or 1080, I'm running an ROG Swift but I'm more than happy with 60fps. Additionally I am planning on getting an HTC vive, would I be better off just saving until November and getting a new PC altogether? Or would this build suffice. My 3570k is at 4.4ghz.

Just now, fwright18 said:

The 1440p sweet spot card is the 1070.

Would it be good for HTC Vive in future games that come to it like Fallout 4? Or would I need a 1080 for that?

2 minutes ago, fwright18 said:

The 1440p sweet spot card is the 1070.

I second that, but of course if you want bragging rights and you have the cash that your are willing to spend go for the 100 or the ASUS Strix cards.

1 minute ago, KappaKing said:

Would it be good for HTC Vive in future games that come to it like Fallout 4? Or would I need a 1080 for that?

The 1070 is insanely powerful, beats a 980 by quite a bit, so you probably wont need to, but the 1080 of course will give you more fps.

Just now, Rekedal said:

I second that, but of course if you want bragging rights and you have the cash that your are willing to spend go for the 100 or the ASUS Strix cards.

I'm EVGA simply because I have horrible luck in terms of hardware, and from what I hear ASUS customer support is terrible, and in my experience EVGA is very good. Also, if I find the 1070 not to be enough I can use step up :)

3 minutes ago, KappaKing said:

I'm EVGA simply because I have horrible luck in terms of hardware, and from what I hear ASUS customer support is terrible, and in my experience EVGA is very good. Also, if I find the 1070 not to be enough I can use step up :)

You'll be having serious bottlenecks with both 1070 and 1080 with your CPU. I'd recommend getting an i7 first

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

Asus has really good customer support :( personally i dont like evga designs as much, but to each their own.

Just now, Abdul201588 said:

You'll be having serious bottlenecks with both 1070 and 1080 with your CPU. I'd recommend getting an i7 first

Considering I'm on a relatively old socket, I'd need a new build. So I should do that?

Just now, KappaKing said:

Considering I'm on a relatively old socket, I'd need a new build. So I should do that?

You could but it wont be a horrible bottleneck unless its an extremely intensive game.

4 minutes ago, KappaKing said:

I'd go skylake, if you can afford it. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

3 minutes ago, Rekedal said:

You could but it wont be a horrible bottleneck unless its an extremely intensive game.

2 minutes ago, Abdul201588 said:

Yeah, itll be a bottleneck, but until he wants to make a whole new system, hes better off just getting the car he desires right now and gain that performance for now.

24 minutes ago, KappaKing said:

I recommend EVGA 100% ... looks is a matter of opinion and matter of choice .. but EVGA customer service is THE best

23 minutes ago, Abdul201588 said:

snip

These benchmarks never seem to include an equivalent i7 running at the same clock speed to show the difference. It's fine to show that you're likely to hit a CPU wall in the 120+ FPS range (that's been true for a long time), but without an i7-4790K to test against it's hard to say how much difference it actually makes over the i5. Maybe you only hit 70% GPU usage with the i5 in a given game, but does that mean an i7 will let it reach 100% and >144 FPS? I suspect it would be more like 80-85% GPU usage with the i7.