Just overclocked for the first time!

I used an i7-5820k Haswell-e @3.3GHz. I then lowered the core voltage and raised the core clock until I hit unstability. My result was 4.7GHz with a voltage of 1.07V. I don't understand the spectrum of Overclokcing yet, so did I "win the silicon lottery", or no?

2 minutes ago, Tyrosen said:

I used an i7-5820k Haswell-e @3.3GHz. I then lowered the core voltage and raised the core clock until I hit unstability. My result was 4.7GHz with a voltage of 1.07V. I don't understand the spectrum of Overclokcing yet, so did I "win the silicon lottery", or no?

The moment you run a stability test it'll crash with no doubt

4.7ghz on 1.07V??!?! xD If that's true everyone would wanna buy your chip for OCIng contests 

The BBQ: i7-4770 / 212x / Tri-X R9 290x 1075/1400 / MSI H87-G43 GAMING / EVGA G2 850W / Corsair Spec 03 / Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD / Toshiba 2TB HDD / 8gb Kingston DDR3 1600mhz

Peripherals: G710+ / G502 / Bose Companion 2 Series III / Audio Technica ATH-M40x / Sound Magic E50

Monitors: Dell U2414H 

Just now, EnemySp0tt3d said:

run stability tests for a few hours

Yeah just did some 3 hours ago, still going, trying to run it for 3 days, because its a 24/7 PC for business. Temps running at around 64 C rn

Just now, Tyrosen said:

Yeah just did some 3 hours ago, still going, trying to run it for 3 days, because its a 24/7 PC for business. Temps running at around 64 C rn

What type of business does it run for? Sacrificing stability & longevity for performance may not be what you want

^^^^ look at my other post

5 minutes ago, xnoobftw said:

The moment you run a stability test it'll crash with no doubt

4.7ghz on 1.07V??!?! xD If that's true everyone would wanna buy your chip for OCIng contests 

^^^^ look at post above

What stability test are you using?

The BBQ: i7-4770 / 212x / Tri-X R9 290x 1075/1400 / MSI H87-G43 GAMING / EVGA G2 850W / Corsair Spec 03 / Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD / Toshiba 2TB HDD / 8gb Kingston DDR3 1600mhz

Peripherals: G710+ / G502 / Bose Companion 2 Series III / Audio Technica ATH-M40x / Sound Magic E50

7 minutes ago, xnoobftw said:

What stability test are you using?

Asus Realbench

I've actually tried to go higher before, realbench would tell me 5 minutes in that I had an instability issue

19 minutes ago, Tyrosen said:

That wouldn't even load Windows, but nice try.

7 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

That wouldn't even load Windows, but nice try.

Why wouldn't it load Windows?

I tried lowering the voltage along with the OC too, lowest it can go with a good oc is 4.1 at 0.97V

Just now, Tyrosen said:

Why wouldn't it load Windows?

That CPU speed on a Haswell-E chip with that little voltage is not possible even if you had the absolute best Haswell-E chip produced by Intel EVER.  It's just that simple.  You're either misreading your voltages or your not running 4.7 GHz on 6 cores.

Show us a screen shot of your CPU voltage under a load and I'll gladly correct myself, but something tells me you're going to have a lot of trouble providing that.

Just now, done12many2 said:

That CPU speed on a Haswell-E chip with that little voltage is not possible even if you had the absolute best Haswell-E chip produced by Intel EVER.  It's just that simple.  You're either misreading your voltages or your not running 4.7 GHz on 6 cores.

Show us a screen shot of your CPU voltage under a load and I'll gladly correct myself, but something tells me you're going to have a lot of trouble providing that.

Yeah hold up, Ill send a picture tomorrow, night, because, if you live in Virginia, US, you know its midnight right now, and the PC is running stress test. in my basement. Sorry, I might be wrong though, there were two options I could change for voltages.

Nevermind....just checked it, instabilty 15 minutes in, resetting CMOS now, I left it downstairs with the monitor turned off. Sorry for getting you worked up. Went to the PC to try to prove you wrong, but yeah...

4 minutes ago, Tyrosen said:

Yeah hold up, Ill send a picture tomorrow, night, because, if you live in Virginia, US, you know its midnight right now, and the PC is running stress test. in my basement. Sorry, I might be wrong though, there were two options I could change for voltages.

Here's the deal.  Voltages dictate temperature for the most part and CPU speed contributes to that in a very minimal way.  If you are running a custom loop with a 5820k @ 4.7 GHz with essentially max stock voltage, you would not be seeing anything close to a 64c temperature.  Something is getting misinterpreted.

Turned voltage up to 1.15V, looks like its booting up again, I'm going to try to test for 8 hours

I guess you didn't have time to hit that PrtScn and post that quick shot with one of your last two posts? O.o

2 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

I guess you didn't have time to hit that PrtScn and post that quick shot with one of your last two posts? O.o

What do you mean with my last 2 posts? I didnt want to walk downstairs 2 floors down to get to my PC

EDIT: OH, no you misunderstand, I'm using my laptop right now, in my bedroom, on the 2nd floor of the house. The PC in question right now is in the basement level

1 minute ago, Tyrosen said:

What do you mean with my last 2 posts? I didnt want to walk downstairs 2 floors down to get to my PC

20 minutes ago, Tyrosen said:

Nevermind....just checked it, instabilty 15 minutes in, resetting CMOS now, I left it downstairs with the monitor turned off. Sorry for getting you worked up. Went to the PC to try to prove you wrong, but yeah...

12 minutes ago, Tyrosen said:

Turned voltage up to 1.15V, looks like its booting up again, I'm going to try to test for 8 hours

You were obviously downstairs with your PC when you posted these.

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

EDIT: OH, no you misunderstand, I'm using my laptop right now, in my bedroom, on the 2nd floor of the house. The PC in question right now is in the basement level

Whatever man.  After you said that you couldn't provide any screenshots do to it being midnight, you continued posting further specifically stating that it crashed and that you changed the voltage again.  You don't make those changes from a laptop on the 2nd floor.

51 minutes ago, Tyrosen said:

Asus Realbench

I've actually tried to go higher before, realbench would tell me 5 minutes in that I had an instability issue

Try using AIDA64... I think that stress test might not be doing enough 

If your trial period for AIDA 64 is over you can try using CPUID's built in stress test 

Just now, ShadowTechXTS said:

You were obviously downstairs with your PC when you posted these.

Yeah, I did not want to go downstairs 2 floors, like he told me to, then I got a little mad, went downstairs, with my laptop in hand, turned on the monitor, realized that it BSOD, stuck at 100%, posted THIS:

22 minutes ago, Tyrosen said:

before taking cmos out, and waiting a minute, turned PC back on, set the voltage to 1.15V, started a stress test for 8 hours, and now, I am back upstairs with my laptop in hand. Are you implying I'm lying? I 

1 minute ago, Tyrosen said:

Yeah, I did not want to go downstairs 2 floors, like he told me to, then I got a little mad, went downstairs, with my laptop in hand, turned on the monitor, realized that it BSOD, stuck at 100%, posted THIS:

before taking cmos out, and waiting a minute, turned PC back on, set the voltage to 1.15V, started a stress test for 8 hours, and now, I am back upstairs with my laptop in hand. Are you implying I'm lying?

Yes.  That's kinda what this entire thread is.

Just now, done12many2 said:

Yes.  That's kinda what this entire thread is.

How would I benefit from lying? If I was lying, I would not have the benefit of having the CPU. All I was trying to do was ask a question about the OC, get it answered, then ask "How many cameras do you think it I could stream at one time 24/7:, since the PC is all about business, no games whatsoever.

5 minutes ago, Tyrosen said:

Are you implying I'm lying? I 

He asked why you didn't take a screenshot while you were down there.

13 minutes ago, Tyrosen said:

And you replied with this ^^

✨PC Specs✨

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X | MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus | 16GB Team T-Force 3400MHz | Zotac GTX 1080 AMP EXTREME

BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | NZXT 750W | Phanteks Eclipse P400A

Extras: ASUS Zephyrus G14 (2021) | OnePlus 7 Pro | Fully restored Robosapien V2, Omnibot 2000, Omnibot 5402

then ask "How many cameras do you think it I could stream at one time 24/7:, since the PC is all about business, no games whatsoever.

You never said that.

✨PC Specs✨