How open world will Star Citizen be?

Blueprint

I know you can completely explore planets but what about space travel? Will it be like lillypads in an ocean where you can only use the warp drive to get there or could you manually travel from planet to planet using the standard thrusters even though it would take a long time? 

Thanks, 

Blueprint

Intel i7 4790k / MSI Z97M / Hyper 212 Evo / MSI Twin Frozr GTX 770 / 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz / Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 / Corsair CS750M / Samsung 840 Evo 250gb SSD /  WD Blue 1TB

You can't/won't really be able explore planets according to the developers so deflate your hype ballons

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/17923/planetary-exploration

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Just now, AresKrieger said:

You can't/won't really be able explore planets according to the developers so deflate your hype ballons

They said in their most recent gamescom playthrough that you could walk around the entirety of planets.

Intel i7 4790k / MSI Z97M / Hyper 212 Evo / MSI Twin Frozr GTX 770 / 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz / Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 / Corsair CS750M / Samsung 840 Evo 250gb SSD /  WD Blue 1TB

Just now, Blueprint said:

They said in their most recent gamescom playthrough that you could walk around the entirety of planets.

Well then they changed their minds in which case your guess is as good as mine what things will look like when they finally launch

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Just now, AresKrieger said:

Well then they changed their minds in which case your guess is as good as mine what things will look like when they finally launch

Where/when did they say that the planets couldn't be fully explored?

8 minutes ago, Blueprint said:

Where/when did they say that the planets couldn't be fully explored?

Over a year ago during developement

I stopped paying attention after that

I stop paying attention to it when their funding went to the millions and still no outcome... the game is barley even alpha yet. 

Magical Pineapples

Currently you can fly anywhere, so open, will there be anything there, no, space is widely known to be very empty

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/20/2016 at 7:17 PM, MrUnknownEMC said:

I stop paying attention to it when their funding went to the millions and still no outcome... the game is barley even alpha yet. 

You do realize that even with an infinite budget it takes TIME to develop a video game... 

2 hours ago, Xthreeo said:

You do realize that even with an infinite budget it takes TIME to develop a video game... 

Do you really want to get something before it exist? It like buying wishes. 

Magical Pineapples

4 hours ago, MrUnknownEMC said:

You aren't "getting something before it exists". You're funding it. If no one helped fund it to this extent, it couldn't reach this scope that it's aiming at. If no one funded it, it wouldn't even exist.

21 hours ago, colt92 said:

You aren't "getting something before it exists". You're funding it. If no one helped fund it to this extent, it couldn't reach this scope that it's aiming at. If no one funded it, it wouldn't even exist.

So if i didn't funded for apples back in days, apples didnt exist? What about eve online? 

Magical Pineapples

5 hours ago, MrUnknownEMC said:

So if i didn't funded for apples back in days, apples didnt exist? What about eve online? 

Eve online was developed with investor money, not crowdfunded. And so are apples. If someone hadn't funded the orchards you currently buy your apples from, they most definitely wouldn't exist. :)

The difference is that Star Citizen's development is entirely funded by its own users, not by investors. Kind of like paying some people to seed and maintain your own orchard so you can enjoy the apples it produces.  It is not a novel concept, really. Not that hard to grasp either.

On 9/6/2016 at 11:54 PM, MrUnknownEMC said:

I have no issues funding the development of something I want to see later

7 hours ago, Corwin111 said:

Eve online was developed with investor money, not crowdfunded. And so are apples. If someone hadn't funded the orchards you currently buy your apples from, they most definitely wouldn't exist. :)

The difference is that Star Citizen's development is entirely funded by its own users, not by investors. Kind of like paying some people to seed and maintain your own orchard so you can enjoy the apples it produces.  It is not a novel concept, really. Not that hard to grasp either.

The bad thing about getting your funded by user is there no really any pressure put to you by a company/board to push out product. 

2 hours ago, Xthreeo said:

I have no issues funding the development of something I want to see later

I have no issues with that, that your decision. 

You have to a look at countless crowd funding project... the reason they went to crowd funding was there couldn't find a good interesting investor or either the product is fake. Personally why could you pay for product which haven't have made. The fact there changed their term and condition to removed the refund option is just digging a hole for themselves. 

Magical Pineapples

14 minutes ago, MrUnknownEMC said:

The bad thing about getting your funded by user is there no really any pressure put to you by a company/board to push out product. 

I have no issues with that, that your decision. 

You have to a look at countless crowd funding project... the reason they went to crowd funding was there couldn't find a good interesting investor or either the product is fake. Personally why could you pay for product which haven't have made. The fact there changed their term and condition to removed the refund option is just digging a hole for themselves. 

I've been a long time Freelancer fan and have been waiting so many years for a game that's centered such a Universe and game style. Either the industry isn't interested, or polling wasn't done well enough, but it does appear with the amount of money they got in crowdfunding that many others share the same interests as me.

As for pulling refunds, it's a scammy thing to do; but imagine if a whole bunch of investors just pulled out half way into development. Most did not realize what 3-5 years of development actually meant and expected DayZ-like instant Alpha releases. These guys are developing a game from scratch, and the ideas, concepts, and the optimization with new hardware/software will continue to hit the release date.

Star Citizen is an ambitious project with a huge, endless vision. I expect to play this game on and off for many years to come.

10 hours ago, MrUnknownEMC said:

I agree. However, as well as being the bad thing about it, it is also the good thing about it. Without greedy investors pushing a board of directors to receive their paycheck on time, not caring one bit about the actual state of the product they are releasing prematurely, things can get quite a bit more complete.

With crowdfunding, it all depends on the trustworthiness of the developer. There are currently a million and a half people putting their trust in CIG. You can call them all idiots or dupes, or you can actually do sime digging and find out that this particular developer, although having missed every single deadline that they have set, have consistently proven to their backers that they can be trusted. 

We get weekly updates on the state of the project on CIG's youtube channel. We get to actually PLAY everything that has been accomplished so far in an alpha test environment, that is truly unprecedented in its scale and, at this point, is more elaborate and rich than quite a few officially released titles. And we get to actually contribute to the development of the game, by reporting bugs and suggesting features that we can witness being worked on and implemented.

Work is observably being done on Star Citizen. It is being done by people who care about the project first and their revenue second. It is plainly evident to everyone who conducts an objective investigation on the matter. And this is the reason people are throwing money at it. Not because we are idiots on a hype train, like No Man's Sky, but because we can SEE exactly where our money is going and PLAY it while it is being developed. And we like what we are seeing. 

According to this reddit post:

https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/comments/30i2ob/can_you_fly_through_all_of_space_or_just_through/

You can manually travel and forget the warp drive to get from planet to planet, but it would take a really long time. So basically Star Citizen's space is going to be completely open to fly around in and explore.

• 1 month later...
On 8/20/2016 at 9:36 PM, AresKrieger said:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/17923/planetary-exploration

That was from 2013 and no longer applies.  Here:

Be sure to note the FPS in the upper right.  On Rig:

i7-6800K

1080 GTX 6GB

64 GB RAM

You will be able to go anywhere on that planet you want.  Each planet.  In each system.  Well, those that aren't gas giants.

On 10/15/2016 at 9:20 AM, Thylbanus said:

That was from 2013 and no longer applies.  Here:

Be sure to note the FPS in the upper right.  On Rig:

i7-6800K

1080 GTX 6GB

64 GB RAM

You will be able to go anywhere on that planet you want.  Each planet.  In each system.  Well, those that aren't gas giants.

But there will also be series of platform habitats, floating in the upper atmospheres of gas giants in populated systems.

So yeah... @AresKrieger your information is about 100 million dollars out of date. ;)

16 minutes ago, Corwin111 said:

But there will also be series of platform habitats, floating in the upper atmospheres of gas giants in populated systems.

So yeah... @AresKrieger your information is about 100 million dollars out of date. ;)

Well I did say the info was over a year old months ago, also until they release the goddamn game I going to be skeptical as they have had a rocky development cycle

45 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

Well I did say the info was over a year old months ago, also until they release the goddamn game I going to be skeptical as they have had a rocky development cycle

There is nothing wrong with skepticism. It is the default position of an honest mind. Hovever, a skeptic's critical approach is objective. It does not mean denying claims left and right until they meet your personal standards of evidence, but rather - careful investigation of the available data to evaluate a claim's objective truth value. :) 

To that effect, you may want to start with what is currently available. There is currently a free fly promotional period in effect, until October 30th. Everyone gets to play the current live Alpha for free, here.

Furthermore, CIG publish a weekly update show on Youtube, called Around The Verse, which includes interviews and footage, regarding everything that is being worked on. Going through a few episodes, would also be helpful for a start. You can find the latest season three of ATV here.

As for their development cycle, it has in fact been steadier and, so far, much shorter than a great many AAA games. The only difference is that nobody ever got to see what was going on behind the scenes of titles like Star Craft 2, Diablo 3, L.A. Noire or Team Fortress 2. People only got and announcement, and maybe a couple of trailers, and then kinda forgot about the title, until it was released... up to 7-9-15 years later.

The fact that CIG are being upfront and honest with their players about every step of the development process, combined with the fact that they are allowing all backers to participate in an alpha test of unprecedented scale, does give the impression of slow development, since the general public, who have never been aware of what developing a game actually looks like, are suddently being bombarded with it, instead of being given the chance to comfortably forget about it until release as usual. In truth - it is actually progressing much quicker than a project of  such magnitude would reasonably be expected to.

42 minutes ago, Corwin111 said:

To that effect, you may want to start with what is currently available. There is currently a free fly promotional period in effect, until October 30th. Everyone gets to play the current live Alpha for free, here.

Thx 4 the alpha info, I will try it for my self, I do like exploration and did have a desire to at least give this game a shot by being skeptical I was just referring to how I'll not be giving them anything money wise until the game launches and has info out for it.

• 2 weeks later...

The development process is very public, and the scope and budget has been changed countless times. Even when shipped as complete, development will continue for years.

Motherboard: Asus X570-E
CPU: 3900x 4.3GHZ

Memory: G.skill Trident GTZR 3200mhz cl14

GPU: AMD RX 570

SSD1: Corsair MP510 1TB

SSD2: Samsung MX500 500GB

PSU: Corsair AX860i Platinum