Windows detecting random devices on network

Curious Pineapple

I've noticed this on 2 devices now. Windows explorer keeps showing 3 phones on my network, except they don't exist.

They are named ALLVIEW, E6853 and occam. They don't have IP addresses, and the router has no record of any devices with the MAC addresses Windows is giving me.

I have a fibre router dealing with the WiFi, and that's cabled to another cable/DSL router that's had it's DHCP server disabled, so I can use it as a switch and enable WEP/no security networks for my old laptop with an Orinoco adaptor, and keep it on a separate virtual network (EE did good with this router, it's awesome).

Google reveals many people having the "occam" device showing up from windows 8 onwards. Some saying it's just devices being detected by Windows without connecting to the network, but if Windows can see the devices on the network before they are authenticated, surely the opposite is true. Both my tablet and desktop running Win 10 see them. I'm a qualified network and support engineer, but this one's got me stumped.

They don't have IP addresses, the router knows nothing about them. Just reset the second router to factory as it was easier than disabling all 3 WiFi interfaces, and they are still there.

I'll try disconnecting from the network and see it they still show up, may just be a strange ass bug in Windows.

EDIT: Yupp, still there when only connected to a switch (to stop Windows from turning networking off). Run a bluetooth device search but nothing's coming up, and they are still there with bluetooth disabled.

You may typing "arp -a" into terminal to confirm that you cannot get IP addresses of those devices. If that yields no results you may try to mannually assign Ip addresses to those devices using this command "Arp -s IPad Mac" substituting IPad with desired IP address and Mac with physical address of those devices. Once you do that (IF it works) you can use "tracert IPad" command to see what's the route to those devices (assuming they even exist). If you try to do any of this, I'd be obliged if you placed your results here since I'm very curious about your case.

Bad argument, doesn't like the MAC address. It has also decided that my second router is also a computer, although I think it supports SAMBA file sharing from a connected USB drive, so it may be that.

8 minutes ago, Curious Pineapple said:

Bad argument, doesn't like the MAC address. It has also decided that my second router is also a computer, although I think it supports SAMBA file sharing from a connected USB drive, so it may be that.

I'm assuming it's an answer to my post?

How did you input mac address? I'm pretty sure it will only work with "-".