Looking for new 140mm fans

yannickverc

HeyGuys

I have an NZXT x61 on my CPU. I had BeQuiet! Silent wings on it that ran at 1.000RPM. While gaming the liquid would go above 60°C and my CPU would peak at 80°C+.. So I replaced those with the base fans that come with it. But when powering on my PC, it flew away. Obviously this isn't a permanent solution as those are loud as **** :( 

So I'm looking for new 140MM fans.

I would like to have static pressure fans as someone told me those are the best for radiator cooling. Could you suggest me some nice ones? Price doesn't really matter, I prefer looks > price. 

Thanks!

The Beast: CPU: i7 4790K GPU: EVGA 1080 SC Cooling: Dual NZXT Kraken x61 RAM: HyperX Fury 1866MHz Storage: SSD: 500GB Samsung EVO 840 + HDD: 1TB WD MOBO: Asus Z97 - a PSU: RM850x Case: H440 green-black Setup: Link PCPP: Link Evolution: Link 

Gear: PS4 with custom skin // Astro A50 Xbox edition to fit colour scheme // Oppo PM-3 Planar Magnetic Closed Back Headphones // OnePlus One 64GB sandstone

Other stuffs: Acer aspire 128GB SSD 10GB RAM // MacBook Pro 13" 500GB SSD 16GB RAM // A 2009 iMac 21"

Your rad holds 2 or 3 140mm fans? Also you didn't specify if noise is an issue for you?

CPU: Intel Core i9-10900K  MOBO: ROG MAXIMUS XII FORMULA GPU: 2080ti Hall of Fame 10th anniversary limited edition  PSU: Asus ROG THOR 1200W  COOLER: Optimus foundation black acetal RADS: 3x EKWB CoolStream PE 360  LOOP: EKWB torque HDC fittings / EKWB ZMT 15,9/9,5mm / EKWB CryoFuel Clear MONITOR: Acer predator X34

Just now, TheRedViper said:

Your rad holds 2 or 3 140mm fans? Also you didn't specify if noise is an issue for you?

I do a 2 fan push config on the rad. I would like to keep it as quiet as possible, but I have a headset on all the time. Would love them to be quieter than the jet engine base fans though :D 

The Beast: CPU: i7 4790K GPU: EVGA 1080 SC Cooling: Dual NZXT Kraken x61 RAM: HyperX Fury 1866MHz Storage: SSD: 500GB Samsung EVO 840 + HDD: 1TB WD MOBO: Asus Z97 - a PSU: RM850x Case: H440 green-black Setup: Link PCPP: Link Evolution: Link 

Gear: PS4 with custom skin // Astro A50 Xbox edition to fit colour scheme // Oppo PM-3 Planar Magnetic Closed Back Headphones // OnePlus One 64GB sandstone

Other stuffs: Acer aspire 128GB SSD 10GB RAM // MacBook Pro 13" 500GB SSD 16GB RAM // A 2009 iMac 21"

6 minutes ago, yannickverc said:

I do a 2 fan push config on the rad. I would like to keep it as quiet as possible, but I have a headset on all the time. Would love them to be quieter than the jet engine base fans though :D 

What kind of performance do you want out of your fans, what exactly are you cooling?

CPU: Intel Core i9-10900K  MOBO: ROG MAXIMUS XII FORMULA GPU: 2080ti Hall of Fame 10th anniversary limited edition  PSU: Asus ROG THOR 1200W  COOLER: Optimus foundation black acetal RADS: 3x EKWB CoolStream PE 360  LOOP: EKWB torque HDC fittings / EKWB ZMT 15,9/9,5mm / EKWB CryoFuel Clear MONITOR: Acer predator X34

What kind of performance do you want out of your fans, what exactly are you cooling?

Kinda said that in my Original post. Cooling my CPU and I want really good performance to stay sub 60°C in games.

Just now, yannickverc said:

Kinda said that in my Original post. Cooling my CPU and I want really good performance to stay sub 60°C in games.

If you want extreme performance go for vardar by EKWB. Their EK-Furious Vardar FF4-140 2.5k RPM fan has 5.28mmH2O which is crazy but the noise will be there (48.4 dBA). You can also go for their 2k rpm version which offers 3.15mmH2O for lower noise (40.7dBA). But at this point if you're going for performance go for the bigger one. 

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-vardar-ff4-140-2500rpm

If you want a mix of performance and noise level go for Noctua. Their NF-A14 offers 2.08mmH2O at 1500 RPM for 24.6 dBA which a mix of the two worlds. Note that a lot of people hate the Noctua colors, it also depends where the fan is (Wouldn't matter for me on a rad with my Noctis 450 case because the top (where rad fans are) are covered by stylish vents so you can't actually see the fans.

http://noctua.at/en/products/fan/nf-a14-pwm/specification

If you want very quiet fans, you should go with ''Be quiet!''. Their Silent Wings 3 series offer very quiet fans. Their 140 PWN one gives you a rather low 1.08mmH2O pressure at 1000 RPM but it runs at 15.5 dBA which is indeed very quiet. Their fans look amazing too. You can also get Noctua performance without the bad look if you take their 140 PWN high-speed version from the same serie. It will give you 2.16mmH2O at 1600 RPM for 28 dBA.

http://www.bequiet.com/en/casefans/721

http://www.bequiet.com/en/casefans/723

I just swapped a pair of stock Hydro H110i GT fans for Phantek F140MPs.  They are noticeably quieter under normal operation and gaming.  I have not run any stress tests so cannot say how they compare at the extreme range.

2 minutes ago, TheRedViper said:

-snip-

Damn, thanks for all the information. I was looking at the Noctua NF-A14 industrial ones. The not-poop-brown-looking blades and the removable brown anti-vibration strips make it pleasurable to the eye. (I care a lot about esthetics) 

Not going back to the BeQuiet ones. They were quiet indeed! But the low rpm couldn't keep my CPU and CPU cooler liquid cold enough. I think the performance of the NF-A14 and the nice looking not-poop-brown-looking blades are a perfect match :) 

2 minutes ago, ThomasD said:

I just swapped a pair of stock Hydro H110i GT fans for Phantek F140MPs.  They are noticeably quieter under normal operation and gaming.  I have not run any stress tests so cannot say how they compare at the extreme range.

The Phantek F140MPs offers 1.62mmH2O at 1600 RPM for 25 dBA. It's not a bad fan but, performance wise the pressure might be too low for some.

22 minutes ago, yannickverc said:

Damn, thanks for all the information. I was looking at the Noctua NF-A14 industrial ones. The not-poop-brown-looking blades and the removable brown anti-vibration strips make it pleasurable to the eye. (I care a lot about esthetics) 

Not going back to the BeQuiet ones. They were quiet indeed! But the low rpm couldn't keep my CPU and CPU cooler liquid cold enough. I think the performance of the NF-A14 and the nice looking not-poop-brown-looking blades are a perfect match :) 

The Noctua industrial are better than the EKWB Vardar in performance at the same RPM and they look nice too. Noctua also has a great customer service and their products are great. Their 3k RPM is still loud but damn that 10.52mmH2O is nasty.

I guess you can go for their NF-A14 industrial 2000 RPM PWN. It offers 4.18mmH2O for only 31 dBA which isn't quiet but for the performance it's really good. Or you can go for their 3000RPM one and try to tone it down to gain some performance, but you should be good with the 2k version.

53 minutes ago, TheRedViper said:

The Phantek F140MPs offers 1.62mmH2O at 1600 RPM for 25 dBA. It's not a bad fan but, performance wise the pressure might be too low for some.

Right now they seem to be performing fine - idle and gaming temps being effectively identical to the stock fans - a degree or two  above ambient at idle, and low fifties gaming.

One of these days I will run a decent stress test to see how they work at the top end.  My suspicion is that the relatively low top end speed/air volume will matter more than the SP (whatever it actually is.)

1 minute ago, ThomasD said:

Right now they seem to be performing fine - idle and gaming temps being effectively identical to the stock fans - a degree or two  above ambient at idle, and low fifties gaming.

One of these days I will run a decent stress test to see how they work at the top end.  My suspicion is that the relatively low top end speed/air volume will matter more than the SP (whatever it actually is.)

Yeah but were talking radiator fans here and static pressure is the most important feature performance wise.

1 minute ago, TheRedViper said:

Yeah but were talking radiator fans here and static pressure is the most important feature performance wise.

No, it is not.  Volume of airflow is always the most important factor in determining cooling performance.

Cooling is a process of moving heat from one place to another.  The air molecules flowing over the fins of a cooler or radiator absorb heat, move away, then dissipate that heat somewhere else. 

What SP ratings tell us is the relative ability of the fan to continue to move air in the presence of restrictions to flow, but even then they are a snapshot of one point on a hypothetical fan curve.

http://www.greenheck.com/library/articles/10

1 minute ago, ThomasD said:

No, it is not.  Volume of airflow is always the most important factor in determining cooling performance.

Cooling is a process of moving heat from one place to another.  The air molecules flowing over the fins of a cooler or radiator absorb heat, move away, then dissipate that heat somewhere else. 

What SP ratings tell us is the relative ability of the fan to continue to move air in the presence of restrictions to flow, but even then they are a snapshot of one point on a hypothetical fan curve.

http://www.greenheck.com/library/articles/10

You don't seem to understand that no matter how high your airflow is, if your static pressure sucks, your fan is useless, thats why you want high static pressure with radiator fans, because static pressure fans are normally within the same airflow range, thats why you look for higher static pressure.

18 hours ago, TheRedViper said:

...no matter how high your airflow is, if your static pressure sucks, your fan is useless...

Sigh.

A hypothetical question:  Two fans are tested on a radiator in otherwise identical conditions.  One generates 100 cfm flow at 2 mm H20 while the other generates 100 cfm flow at 3 mm H20, which one results in lower CPU temperature?

14 minutes ago, ThomasD said:

Sigh.

A hypothetical question:  Two fans are tested on a radiator in otherwise identical conditions.  One generates 100 cfm flow at 2 mm H20 while the other generates 100 cfm flow at 3 mm H20, which one results in lower CPU temperature?

It all depends if you actually need the 3mmH2O of pressure to allow the whole airflow through the rad, 2mmH2O could be enough. Again, I never said your fans were bad, just that if he was looking for an optimized setup he could get better fans for about the same noise level. This isn't a debate on airflow vs static, the guy just wants fans recommendations. 

It all depends if you actually need the 3mmH2O of pressure to allow the whole airflow through the rad, 2mmH2O could be enough. Again, I never said your fans were bad, just that if he was looking for an optimized setup he could get better fans for about the same noise level. This isn't a debate on airflow vs static, the guy just wants fans recommendations. 

No it does not "depend."

That is the part you refuse to understand.

Equal actual airflow means equal actual performance.  IOW in that hypothetical the CPU temperatures would be identical.  

28 minutes ago, ThomasD said:

No it does not "depend."

That is the part you refuse to understand.

Equal actual airflow means equal actual performance.  IOW in that hypothetical the CPU temperatures would be identical.  

I strongly suggest you go read a bit about airflow and fans. The pressure is the ability to pass obstacle in a ventilation system. The pressure your fan gives you needs to be higher than the pressure the airflow meets or you lose cooling performance. Therefore why you need good static pressure fans for radiators.

4 minutes ago, TheRedViper said:

I strongly suggest you go read a bit about airflow and fans. The pressure is the ability to pass obstacle in a ventilation system. The pressure your fan gives you needs to be higher than the pressure the airflow meets or you lose cooling performance. Therefore why you need good static pressure fans for radiators.

I was the one who gave you the link to understand what you are trying to talk about.  

But frankly, when you say gibberish like "[t]he pressure your fan gives you needs to be higher than the pressure the airflow meets..." you must either be clueless or a troll.  

(What 'pressure' does a radiator (or whatever the airflow 'meets') exert exactly? And how does it exert it?)

Please follow the link I provided, and pay specific attention to the part about fan curves and what they mean.

3 minutes ago, ThomasD said:

I was the one who gave you the link to understand what you are trying to talk about.  

But frankly, when you say gibberish like "[t]he pressure your fan gives you needs to be higher than the pressure the airflow meets..." you must either be clueless or a troll.  

(What 'pressure' does a radiator (or whatever the airflow 'meets') exert exactly? And how does it exert it?)

Please follow the link I provided, and pay specific attention to the part about fan curves and what they mean.

It's not because you link a guide that you think you understand that you're right. Everything is relative, what moves meets resistance. A radiator will create resistance to the airflow the fan creates which is why you need a good static pressure fan to compensate. I feel like this argument won't end on a topic that isn't ours and isn't about this subject either, so feel free to create your own topic about it if you insist, as for myself I'm done here.