I think i've messed up my library folders.

So i've recently built my first proper gaming pc and i'm using a 120GB SSD as a boot and a 1TB HDD as storage. I was trying to relocate my library folders from the SSD to the HDD so i would have more space and i think i've irreversibly screwed it up. This is what it looks like currently, my pictures folder has become my D: drive and my documents folder is in the Jonathan file somewhere. It won't let me restore the pictures file to default and the other folders don't seem to want to move much. Is it worth just resetting my PC (the only thing i've installed is google chrome so i'm not losing anything of value) to get the files back to their original settings and locations? I don't tend to keep much in my library folders so having them on my SSD isn't too big a deal but i would like to put Steam onto the HDD because of the large size of games and whatnot (not having it on the SSD doesn't bother me that much).JRARCZV.png

4 minutes ago, MaddJon said:

So i've recently built my first proper gaming pc and i'm using a 120GB SSD as a boot and a 1TB HDD as storage. I was trying to relocate my library folders from the SSD to the HDD so i would have more space and i think i've irreversibly screwed it up. This is what it looks like currently, my pictures folder has become my D: drive and my documents folder is in the Jonathan file somewhere. It won't let me restore the pictures file to default and the other folders don't seem to want to move much. Is it worth just resetting my PC (the only thing i've installed is google chrome so i'm not losing anything of value) to get the files back to their original settings and locations? I don't tend to keep much in my library folders so having them on my SSD isn't too big a deal but i would like to put Steam onto the HDD because of the large size of games and whatnot (not having it on the SSD doesn't bother me that much).JRARCZV.png

0211-move-100639217-large.jpg

did you move them using this?

Case:- 4U Rack Mount Case | Cooler:- Antec Kuhler H600 | CPU:- Intel i5 4690K @ 4.50GHz GPU:- Zotac GeForce GTX 970 4GB AMP! Omega Core Edition @ 1449MHz | Motherboard:- MSI Z97S SLI Krait | PSU:- XFX XTR 650W Gold | RAM:- HyperX DDR3 1866MHz 4GB White (x2) Black (x2) | Storage:- Kingston V300 120GB | Storage 2:- Seagate FireCuda 1TB | Build Log |

Btw you can restore defaults, as you might have figured out from the picture above.

Just now, Ykno said:

0211-move-100639217-large.jpg

did you move them using this?

Yeah, some of them move but when i try to move the pictures folder which is D\\ it says that the access is denied

Just now, Verrierr said:

Btw you can restore defaults, as you might have figured out from the picture above.

It doesn't work and keeps saying access denied when i try to restore defaults

2 minutes ago, MaddJon said:

you admin account? tried openign the current locations? tried to move the folders to a diffrent location again? if all failed unlock the hidden full rights admin in windows 10 try doing it on that admin if still not then rebuid OS and remember dont fuck with shit unless your 100% sure you know what your doing, xD ha just busting your chops

Case:- 4U Rack Mount Case | Cooler:- Antec Kuhler H600 | CPU:- Intel i5 4690K @ 4.50GHz GPU:- Zotac GeForce GTX 970 4GB AMP! Omega Core Edition @ 1449MHz | Motherboard:- MSI Z97S SLI Krait | PSU:- XFX XTR 650W Gold | RAM:- HyperX DDR3 1866MHz 4GB White (x2) Black (x2) | Storage:- Kingston V300 120GB | Storage 2:- Seagate FireCuda 1TB | Build Log |

2 minutes ago, MaddJon said:

Go to security and confirm whether you have the permissions to mess with it.

1 minute ago, Ykno said:

you admin account? tried openign the current locations? tried to move the folders to a diffrent location again?

yeah im set as administrator but they keep refusing to move

1 minute ago, Verrierr said:

Go to security and confirm whether you have the permissions to mess with it.

i've tried but every time i try it sits there and does nothing even though i've confirmed i have permission and it still denies

1 minute ago, MaddJon said:

i've tried but every time i try it sits there and does nothing even though i've confirmed i have permission and it still denies

unlock the hidden full rights admin in windows 10 try doing it on that admin if still not make a new user restore defaults on any on that user that arnt in original location and then delete the broken user :) try diffrent user first possibly easier and quicker

1 minute ago, MaddJon said:

yeah im set as administrator but they keep refusing to move

Since you're not afraid of losing programs installed going to settings and reseting your OS might be your quickest solution. Also before you do that you could try deleting D: partition form your HDD just for the heck of it.

1 minute ago, Verrierr said:

Since you're not afraid of losing programs installed going to settings and reseting your OS might be your quickest solution. Also before you do that you could try deleting D: partition form your HDD just for the heck of it.

pretty sure making a new user might be quickest if it works cant see why it wouldnt reset locations for that user but i might be wrong there i dont know i never check when making new user lol

Just now, Ykno said:

pretty sure making a new user might be quickest if it works cant see why it wouldnt reset locations for that user but i might be wrong there i dont know i never check when making new user lol

Deleting D: partition seems like fun though. I'm genuinely interested in finding out what happens to those directories when you do that.

thanks for the help guys, i'm going to try resetting the pc and see if that fixes it

2 minutes ago, Verrierr said:

Deleting D: partition seems like fun though. I'm genuinely interested in finding out what happens to those directories when you do that.

they will just pop up with generic windows error saying cant find that directory. :) pretty lame ha

Just now, Ykno said:

they will just pop up with generic windows error saying cant find that directory. :) pretty lame ha

But it might unlock his ability to change their location.

5 minutes ago, Verrierr said:

But it might unlock his ability to change their location.

i dont think so i think it a issue to do with he dosnt have premision on the defualt locations or C drive for some fucked reason

Just now, Ykno said:

i dont think so i think it a issue to do with he dosnt have premision on the defualt locations or C drive for some fucked reason

I agree, but I'm still curious.

1 minute ago, Ykno said:

Also he might have been the one of thousand unlucky one who actually got a virus, more specifically a rootkit. Given that his OS is new chances are low, but I don't know where he's been surfing on that chrome...

Hey guys, so i've reset the PC and it's worked! Everything is thankfully where it should be and working again, thanks for the tips guys! xD

3 hours ago, MaddJon said:

Hey guys, so i've reset the PC and it's worked! Everything is thankfully where it should be and working again, thanks for the tips guys! xD

ah shit i just remember how you change it on windows 10 you go to settings then system then storage and you can change it all back there LMAO! ah well least its all sorted :P