Which component should I upgrade?

4 minutes ago, Beeeyeee said:

upgrade the CPU. sadly though, you'll have to upgrade the motherboard and possibly RAM as well. 8GB should be fine but she might benefit slightly from a 16GB upgrade. but heres the big question... does the PC have a Graphics card? if it does, than do what I said above. if it doesn't.. THAT IS ESSENTIAL in a 3d Rendering application. get one NOW.

She has a GTX 660. Nothing top of the line, 4 years later. 

1 minute ago, The Belgian Waffle said:

Board + CPU is gonna cost a lot, I'm guessing. Since I'm a basic user that knows just a bit thanks to LTT, I don't think i'm gonna go play that game. 

So the upgrade to a better GPU isn't worth it, if she uses Maya, from what I understand. Is it correct? 

Upgrading the gpu would usually be for more vram to display many polys in the viewport and not speed up rendering. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

2 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Hardware acceleration with the gpu is usually just for the viewport. For quality renders outside of specific renderers mentioned earlier, the cpu is what's used. 

Thanks, so no GPU upgrade at least for now :) 

1 minute ago, The Belgian Waffle said:

She has a GTX 660. Nothing top of the line, 4 years later. 

okay good you're fine:)

Thank you everyone :) 

From what I've seen, upgrading the CPU to something like i7-6700 is not really worth it, as someone mentionned before. Plus, upgrading the CPU would mean change the motherboard and probably buy also 16GB of DDR4. 

I think we'll stick with the RAM upgrade as it's really cheap nowadays, and we'll consider a CPU/MOBO upgrade in the future.