Is there any way to quickly underclock a CPU from inside Windows?

Go to solution Solved by Lays,

What about power-saving mode without sleep mode on? That will lower the CPU to ~800 mhz

Pretty much all there is to the question, I have my computer in my room, and I wanna go to sleep, but the fan noise is going to drive me crazy, don't really wanna turn off the computer itself because i'm uploading some stuff and I'd like for it to get done during the night, it's nothing too intensive tho, fans are mostly high up because it was a pretty warm day, and I was wondering if I could maybe help the thing take it easier by underclocking the CPU, and I was wondering if I could do this without having to reboot into the BIOS.

What about power-saving mode without sleep mode on? That will lower the CPU to ~800 mhz

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

3 minutes ago, Tairetsu said:

Pretty much all there is to the question, I have my computer in my room, and I wanna go to sleep, but the fan noise is going to drive me crazy, don't really wanna turn off the computer itself because i'm uploading some stuff and I'd like for it to get done during the night, it's nothing too intensive tho, fans are mostly high up because it was a pretty warm day, and I was wondering if I could maybe help the thing take it easier by underclocking the CPU, and I was wondering if I could do this without having to reboot into the BIOS.

What motherboard do you have? Some ASUS boards have a feature called Keybot which allows you to map lowering the frequency of your processor to a key.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

Just now, Lays said:

You know what? I never realized until now you could manually adjusts the CPU power for power saving mode until now, I can get it pretty low.

Just now, ThinkWithPortals said:

What motherboard do you have? Some ASUS boards have a feature called Keybot which allows you to map lowering the frequency of your processor to a key.

Not a clue tbh, not my PC originally, but I think the first guy had the right idea.

19 minutes ago, Tairetsu said:

I realize it's not an immediate solution but you could get a fan controller.

I have an NZXT Sentry 3 in my secondary desktop and I love it.  I can adjust connected fan speeds from 40-100% in 10% increments.  I can even turn selected fans off if they aren't needed or if I want extra noise reduction.   

The case is a Corsair 88R if that matters and if I want to leave the computer on overnight I just nudge the fans down to 40% and it's near silent from where I sleep a few feet away.  I'm using 2 120mm Cougar CFD Blue LED fans and 2 corsair AF120  quiet edition non-led fans.  With one of each for intake and exhaust.  

On 16/8/2016 at 5:26 AM, Bleedingyamato said:

I realize it's not an immediate solution but you could get a fan controller.

I have an NZXT Sentry 3 in my secondary desktop and I love it.  I can adjust connected fan speeds from 40-100% in 10% increments.  I can even turn selected fans off if they aren't needed or if I want extra noise reduction.   

The case is a Corsair 88R if that matters and if I want to leave the computer on overnight I just nudge the fans down to 40% and it's near silent from where I sleep a few feet away.  I'm using 2 120mm Cougar CFD Blue LED fans and 2 corsair AF120  quiet edition non-led fans.  With one of each for intake and exhaust.  

I was thinking about that for a moment, but I would need to take some time to test when the fans are needed and when they aren't, since I don't want my CPU to burn down or something. And at the time of making the post I just wanted a quick solution.

1 minute ago, Tairetsu said:

I was thinking about that for a moment, but I would need to take some time to test when the fans are needed and when they aren't, since I don't want my CPU to burn down or something. And at the time of making the post I just wanted a quick solution.

Your CPU cooler would still be plugged into the mb so I doubt your CPU would die.

I meant that a fan controller would either you turn off the case fans or at least reduce their speed/noise a minimum while you were sleeping.  Unless your case has really bad cooling behavior/bad airflow or something like that then reducing the fans speed overnight should be safe I think.