Over clocking help

First time icing and was wondering how long I need to stress test and what is a good temp for my CPU  the CPU is a and fx6300 black edition corsair h100igtx water cooler 

Thanks

Just now, bigpresley69 said:

First time overclocking and was wondering how long I need to stress test and what is a good temp for my CPU  the CPU is a and fx6300 black edition corsair h100igtx water cooler 

Thanks

Edited by bigpresley69
Typo

3 hours ago, bigpresley69 said:

First time icing and was wondering how long I need to stress test and what is a good temp for my CPU  the CPU is a and fx6300 black edition corsair h100igtx water cooler 

Thanks

Do a quick test with like Cinebench to make sure it is somewhat stable and just game, from my experience gaming brings the best stress test. GTA V is the only thing that has pushed my system the hardest and it is actually fun, not just sitting there at your PC doing nothing.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

2 hours ago, bigpresley69 said:

Thanks

- Temps: avoid crossing 70 C on the CPU socket temp, avoid going past 60-65 C on the core/package temp. The H100 should be enough to achieve that under safe voltages.

- Length of stress test: purists will tell you essentially forever, because how can you ever be sure? An hour or more can start to be considered a reasonable validation, though For cooling testing, it's enough to stress it until temperatures flatten out and converge to some value. I usually use 20 minutes of OCCT, as it's the one that fails quicker (compared to prime95, that generates more heat but can run for hours on an unstable overclock before failing, or Intel Burn Test, which always gives me thumbs up despite other tests failing), and only run longer tests when I'm at an OC I plan to settle for.

- Mind your motherboard. OC stresses not just the CPU, but the VRMs feeding power to it as well. There is a limit to the power each motherboard can provide to the CPU, and they get increasingly hot as you increase voltages. Make sure they have adequate cooling, ideally checking their temps as well.

For reference: my 9370 at stock (4.4GHz) gets to low 40s core temp, mid 50s socket temp on a Kraken x61, and it used to be more or less the same on an H80i, using 1.38v (stock voltages were unnecessarily insane, above 1.5v. I had to undervolt it to prevent the motherboard from frying).