Modem Struck by lightning, Now Pc won't work.

LLamaGames
Go to solution Solved by MrDrWho13,
2 minutes ago, LLamaGames said:

That's what I was thinking I'm trying to find the model number so, i can look up specs and just buy her the same one. But I can't find it

It's probably a good time to get a new one. If you would like to build one, that would be the best option; but you can always buy a pre-built machine. You can take the hard drive out of her current computer and try it in another computer to see if her files are still there.

Alright so My Aunt's Computer has stopped working since her modem got struck by lightning i know the problem seems obvious but What happens is when you turn it on it just stuck at the HP logo and doesn't go anywhere else and can't access the boot menu or safe mode. I think that static went through the modem to the PC and fried it. I don't know any of the specs. I'm trying to find the model # as we type.

8 minutes ago, LLamaGames said:

Alright so My Aunt's Computer has stopped working since her modem got struck by lightning i know the problem seems obvious but What happens is when you turn it on it just stuck at the HP logo and doesn't go anywhere else and can't access the boot menu or safe mode. I think that static went through the modem to the PC and fried it. I don't know any of the specs. I'm trying to find the model # as we type.

It might have just fried the PSU so id consider getting a new one.

Just now, Emart1028 said:

Well now i took it back to m house and plugged it into my monitor and now there is no signal. I was thinking the CPU is just gone

Completely irrelevant but does the modem still work? I'm curious, also try to back up your data before you do anything!  

2 minutes ago, Emart1028 said:

if it zapped the modem, it's more likely the mobo than the psu.

also, if it was the psu you wouldnt even get to the bootup logo.

Just now, MrDrWho13 said:

I'm not sure you can fix this. 

That's what I was thinking I'm trying to find the model number so, i can look up specs and just buy her the same one. But I can't find it

Just now, manikyath said:

if it zapped the modem, it's more likely the mobo than the psu.

also, if it was the psu you wouldnt even get to the bootup logo.

My psu fried and it got the bootup logo then never turned back on before, so this is why im thinking its the psu.

1 minute ago, TechJ said:

Completely irrelevant but does the modem still work? I'm curious, also try to back up your data before you do anything!  

She ordered a new modem and looks like it works but can't find out since I can't get past the boot screen at her house. So when I brought it home. I can't even get signal

1 minute ago, LLamaGames said:

chances are that you can order a replacement from HP, chances are that HP tells you to just get a new box.

2 minutes ago, LLamaGames said:

It's probably a good time to get a new one. If you would like to build one, that would be the best option; but you can always buy a pre-built machine. You can take the hard drive out of her current computer and try it in another computer to see if her files are still there.

I edit my posts a lot.

1 minute ago, MrDrWho13 said:

Okay

2 minutes ago, Emart1028 said:

My psu fried and it got the bootup logo then never turned back on before, so this is why im thinking its the psu.

well, it could be the ram for all we know.

popping the computer open may reveal some issues, since lighting strikes generally carry enough energy to create visual damage quite a ways down in the chain.

3 minutes ago, manikyath said:

well, it could be the ram for all we know.

popping the computer open may reveal some issues, since lighting strikes generally carry enough energy to create visual damage quite a ways down in the chain.

I did that no visual damage

5 minutes ago, MrDrWho13 said:

What would be some recommendations I'd say like $300 would be the top budget and be an AMD PC

Just now, LLamaGames said:

What would be some recommendations I'd say like $300 would be the top budget and be an AMD PC

Any pre-built around the price will be pretty much the same. I'll have a look on PCPartpicker for what can be done when you build it.

I edit my posts a lot.

4 minutes ago, MrDrWho13 said:

Any pre-built around the price will be pretty much the same. I'll have a look on PCPartpicker for what can be done when you build it.

Yea well thanks.

I know this is a bit over budget, but it does include an AMD APU, 8GB RAM (Could go with 4GB if really needed), Windows 10 (legit) and an SSD. This is working on the theory that your current HDD isn't fried. Most pre-builts will come with a HDD rather than an SSD which makes the whole computer quite a bit slower.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/hnXF8K
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/hnXF8K/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD A8-7600 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($69.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A68HM-H Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard  ($48.99 @ NCIX US) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($33.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Kingston HyperX Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($44.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: Fractal Design Core 1100 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($28.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($43.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSC0B DVD/CD Writer  ($13.99 @ Newegg) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  ($89.00 @ B&H) 
Total: $373.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-14 14:32 EDT-0400

I edit my posts a lot.