How to turn off GPU Boost 3.0?

RoroTheDeer

I've recently attempted to overclock my GTX 1070 to see if I could squeeze any extra performance out of it, but GPU Boost always seems to be getting in the way and the benchmarks I've tried to record never seem to be indicative of a stable core clock. It always fluctuates from one clock speed to another.

Is there any way to disable this awful software? For reference, I have the Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming.

I say jiggly-bytes when I see "GB".

It goes down better than you would expect.

To my knowledge there is no way to disable GPU Boost 3 yet. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

i'm not an expert, but as far as i know, when a gpu clock fluctuates is because of the temperature...

It goes up and down to regulate the established temperature target... maybe, just MAYBE, if you play with the temp target you can get more stable clocks...

Or just put the fan's speed higher...

I could be wrong... just my two cents...

31 minutes ago, Insp1r3 said:

I've recently attempted to overclock my GTX 1070 to see if I could squeeze any extra performance out of it, but GPU Boost always seems to be getting in the way and the benchmarks I've tried to record never seem to be indicative of a stable core clock. It always fluctuates from one clock speed to another.

Is there any way to disable this awful software? For reference, I have the Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming.

You Bios mod it and replace all the entries in the turbo table with the same clock values. That's really the only thing you can do to turn it off.

Sucks, I know. But what can you do...

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

• 2 weeks later...
On 13.8.2016 at 2:45 PM, Imakuni said:

You Bios mod it and replace all the entries in the turbo table with the same clock values. That's really the only thing you can do to turn it off.

Sucks, I know. But what can you do...

Dumbest thing I've ever heard. The different values are going to be driven with a higher or lower value.If you set all the same your gonna have a crashy time.

CPU: i7 6700K @ 4,8GHz 

Cooler: EKL Alpenföhn Olymp

RAM: 2x8GB Corsair LPX 3200MHz

GPU: GTX 980 Ti 1540MHz with Rajintek Morpheus

MoBo: ASrock Z170 Extreme 4

HDD/SSD: Hitachi 1,5TB / Samsung EVO 500GB

PSU: beQuiet Straight Power 600W CM

Case: fractal Define S

6 minutes ago, chrisMLGpro720noscope said:

Dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Oh? So you know of another way to turn off GPU Boost 3.0? If so, then please tell me, for lots of people all over the globe have been looking for a way to do so without Bios modding to no avail.

6 minutes ago, chrisMLGpro720noscope said:

The different values are going to be driven with a higher or lower value.If you set all the same your gonna have a crashy time.

Er.... wot m8? Please try to word this a bit better, I just have no idea what you were trying to say here.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

You don't set the same value in the boost table jfc. 

If you remember the first screen in KBT or MBT you set Boost #1 (or something like that)  to Boost #0.

That disables the boost clock. So you end up only working with one clock, the base clock. 

Not quite sure if that'll work with Pascal but it should. Would probably work best with static volts.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Flash the bios and hard clock. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

19 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

Flash the bios and hard clock. 

Would you happen to have access to "Pascal Bios Tweaker" then? Post it here if you do, I'm sure lots of people will appreciate it.

7 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

Would you happen to have access to "Pascal Bios Tweaker" then? Post it here if you do, I'm sure lots of people will appreciate it.

Nope, took my 1080 out. Didn't even bother looking into flashing this thing yet as I can't use it. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

On 13. 8. 2016 at 2:11 PM, Insp1r3 said:

GPU Boost always seems to be getting in the way 

I dont think that GPU Boost is getting in your way. Whats getting in your way are insufficient cooling of your case or cooling of GPU itself. 

I have the same model like you do and clocks are sitting on 2088MHz (Core) / 9000MHz (VRAM) while gaming/running Firestrike benchmark. I didnt tamper with voltage in any way as I dont see a reason to do so. I know I can squeeze a few more MHz here and there but performance difference is barely noticable.

If you want your core clocks to be more stable, increase Power limit and Temp limit to maximum in Afterburner (or whatever apps you use) and create your own fan curve to keep the GPU cooler, although noticably louder. 

I had the same issue with my GTX 970. GPU Boost is known for messing up overclocks, but OC aside it's actually overall a good thing. So I wouldn't recommend turning it off, just tuning it to work with your OC. You'd have to mod the bios though.

i7 9700K @ 5 GHz, ASUS DUAL RTX 3070 (OC), Gigabyte Z390 Gaming SLI, 2x8 HyperX Predator 3200 MHz

21 minutes ago, Monarch said:

I had the same issue with my GTX 970. GPU Boost is known for messing up overclocks, but OC aside it's actually overall a good thing. So I wouldn't recommend turning it off, just tuning it to work with your OC. You'd have to mod the bios though.

Yeah, people just don't understand how GPU Boost works.

While it sucks that you can't disable it IF you want to, I just wish people had this image in mind:

OC img.png

On 2016-08-13 at 8:11 AM, Insp1r3 said:

you'd have to load a custom bios on your card, which if the flash goes wrong could potentially ruin your day especially if your card does not have a recovery bios (bios switch).

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

On 28.8.2016 at 2:31 PM, Imakuni said:

Oh? So you know of another way to turn off GPU Boost 3.0? If so, then please tell me, for lots of people all over the globe have been looking for a way to do so without Bios modding to no avail.

Er.... wot m8? Please try to word this a bit better, I just have no idea what you were trying to say here.

If you don't know what GPU Boost is about, stop trying to disable it. Lol, it's like modding a TV without knowing what to do.

There are dozens of points which have a certain clock and a certain voltage. The lower the voltage, the lower the possible clock. Just mod the Boost states in the MSI Afterburner Beta. Press CTRL+F and there you go.

CPU: i7 6700K @ 4,8GHz 

Cooler: EKL Alpenföhn Olymp

RAM: 2x8GB Corsair LPX 3200MHz

GPU: GTX 980 Ti 1540MHz with Rajintek Morpheus

MoBo: ASrock Z170 Extreme 4

HDD/SSD: Hitachi 1,5TB / Samsung EVO 500GB

PSU: beQuiet Straight Power 600W CM

Case: fractal Define S